How many kinds of fossilized cells of animals have been found?

PHB

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
FM,
Well, good news so far.
I will be conducting several tests this week if all goes according to plan.
The next three to four weeks are critical to this specimen.
I will be sending sample for LOI probably Tues.
I got so busy last week, I couldn't swing it yet.
TOC total organic content, at the same time.
I should be seeing Bio Chemist Professor at Chatt State this week.
Several very minimally destructive tests, for lipids, carbohydrates, sugars, and especially, proteins.
My test tonight for carbohydrates turned out an overwhelming positive.

Several of these tests are really very simple.
Iodine turns bluish black in presence of carbohydrates.
Also, in my preliminary test, it seemed apparently positive for lipids, using a simple brown bag technique.

I am doing this again, to be more certain.
I will get tests confirmed or denied by local scientists.
I am also getting other tests for peptides, amino acids, and sugars.
Included will be Sudan 3, Benedict's and Buiret, or preferably, Bradford assay which is supposedly more informative than Lowry.
If all is well with the Geologic and biochemical tests, I'll take it back to Neurology for another look.
Presently, I'm thinking I need their involvement for determination of location of thin section.
I'm wondering if it will be absolutely necessary, if all the other tests come back as definitive as I am beginning to think they might?
Please respond on previous question, about thin slice??
I'll keep you updated.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:40 pm
@PHB,
Your results are showing things already?

Im sorry buit I missed the thin section question and couldnt track it. COuld you rephrase?
PHB

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 08:53 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, never mind, I reviewed previous response from you, and I understand it better now.
Also, I'm wondering if this dust in iodine test has faked me off.
As I review microscopic images on my website, I see some bluish black, without iodine.
I better wait and let the pros interpret, after testing it for themselves.
Too early for feeling too positive.
bewildered

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:42 pm
@PHB,
How do you know there is no carbon in that fossilized brain?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 04:19 am
@bewildered,
that is precisely what hes having testing done to address. Its been reported to be 100% silica by XRD , but XRD only reads the mineral component and doesnt read any organic component . SO it would report back that, of everything it scanned its mineral component was all silica. Thats a bit different than what hes looking for now.

GET IT?
bewildered

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 07:44 am
@farmerman,
Wouldn't it be feasible to date the fossil by the C14 method, if orgtanic contents/parts were found in the fossil?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:49 am
@bewildered,
C14 has a half life of 5568 (+/-30 yr). C14 is usedful in dating or tracing any carbon that is part of the acrbon cycle during the last 50000 years (We must first calibrate the C values from atmospheric nitrogen, thus the carbon cycle varies in centennial values). The use of C14 is limited , because of its half life and because of its calibration requirement) to a bit less than 45000 years, although its been stretched for values as high as 70000 yrs.
SO if that head fossil is supposed to be >100 million years (as everyone claims) , then C14 would be totally useless. We must first see whether there is any Carbon or carbonate there.
PHB

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:12 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman,
I'm having problems trying to find facility to do LOI with less than 3.5 grams powder from drilling. Any ideas where to send it with only 1 gram?
farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:19 am
@PHB,
The reason that they are balking is that (probably) the amt is so minor that any error in percents would translate to larger ones in the whole sample. If its all youve got, its all youve got. Hmm. You will probably need a platinum dish so itd have to be some analytical labpratory. Im sorry but I dont know any down there right off.
Is there an office of MAthey Bishop or Johnson Matthey down there? They have good lab cred and they also deal in Pt.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:56 am
@PHB,
What ever happened with the Petrified Human Brain analysis? Has it dead-ended? Or turned out to be a large coprolite?
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 09:25 am
@rosborne979,
I dont know. The guy just vanished after I thought he was going to see about some close in analyses.

Turned out a paleoturd after all eh?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I dont know. The guy just vanished after I thought he was going to see about some close in analyses.

Turned out a paleoturd after all eh?

I had my doubts that thing was a brain at all, but it would have been nice to see him prove it.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 12:50 pm
@rosborne979,
I was reserving any judgement until some real evidence was presented. Looks like he is off to other bulletin boards to impress the habitues.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I was reserving any judgement until some real evidence was presented.
Very commendable of you. I prefer to jump to the most likely conclusion until some real evidence is presented Wink
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:35 am
Guys, C'mon ! It was a fundamentalist with a brain ! When is that going to happen again ?
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:54 pm
@Ionus,
Apparently Anus's deathless support of religion extends only to the ACtholic Church. ASppasrently, unless the guy was total bullshit, one of the analysts who verified it was a vitrified skull was an anatomy professor at Brigham Young.
Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:18 am
@farmerman,
Did you feel that zoom going over your head Gomer ?
0 Replies