A quick question about A2K email updates ...

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
Not looking for a discussion on the pros & cons of email updates ... I just want to know if they still actually happen. (or if this an A2K glitch I've been experiencing.)

I'm still receiving PM notifications, but no email updates, for quite a while now.

I'll give the poster who enlightens me one of those prize red ribbon prize thingies. Smile

Thanks,
Olga

(PS.. before someone suggests I contact the help desk. I have. A couple of times now. A while ago. No response.)

engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:47 pm
@msolga,
Near the bottom of the screen, select My Preferences. In that screen, look near the bottom for email preferences and make sure you have selected the updates you want. If you create a new discussion, there is a check box if you want emails when someone responds. I think the default is no email. Hope that helps.
msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:48 pm
@engineer,
Will do, engineer. (I thought I had, but it was ages ago.)

So they still exist then?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:51 pm
@engineer,
Just checked again, engineer.

The Email me notifications of new private messages box is ticked "yes".

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:53 pm
@msolga,
So email updates are still being sent then?
JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:11 pm
@msolga,
I just checked for an update that should have come in last Friday when panzade posted to my classical music thread. It's listed on the list of threads I want to get updates on but there was no update. I wasn't online at the time. I have, however, chosen the "remember me" box on my login, which means I'm always here -- sorta. I don't remember exactly how Rob described what happens regarding being logged in/out when the "remember me" option is chosen, but that might have something to do with it. Those updates are only sent when you're not logged in, I believe.
msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
I feel like I've asked a trick question! Smile

Let me put that another way: are any of you receiving email updates?
(If so, then I'll know that there's a problem to be fixed.)
JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
@msolga,
We cross posted, msolga. See above...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:14 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, JPB.
I use the "remember me" box, too.
Yes, I understand that updates wouldn't be sent while one is online.
I haven't received any at all, since November last year sometime ...
(I wish I could figure out how to fix this!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
Gotta go out in a minute.
Back later, though .
Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:15 pm
@msolga,
Click on contact us at the bottom of the page, msolga.

Or start to follow 'friends' and look them at the My Friends tabulation.

Or look at your My Topics or My Posts.

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Click on contact us at the bottom of the page, msolga.

msolga wrote:
(PS.. before someone suggests I contact the help desk. I have. A couple of times now. A while ago. No response.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:37 pm
@msolga,
Same here and its getting frustrating to see that people have been answering my threads and I can't find out until much later on.

Also, once again, the default of automatically getting email updates after opening the thread has been turned off. That bothers me less then when the threads I have chosen to get email updates doesn't send out those email updates in the first place.

Bloody hamsters are slacking off man!! Mad
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
I did go through a period a few months ago when a lot of posts disappeared for me, including my own topics. It was quite strange and I whined. So I can sympathize. They sprung back, thank the cupcake fairy and probably the a2k goddess.

As for the contact us, give them some time.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I seen that it does go back and forth in waves. Weeks and the thread email updates system works fine. Then they'll be weeks where the thread email update system has hit an unexplained drought.

Back and forth, etc....
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
The last thing I want is updates. I smack myself if I fail to check the box re no up dates on any of my threads, though that is easy to fix. But we all differ.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Some threads I do want updates but most of my threads I do not need them. It should be an opt in option. Check the box/link to activate the email update system. But it should be operating on a consistent/reliable fashion if this is the type of system we have here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The last thing I want is updates. I smack myself if I fail to check the box re no up dates on any of my threads, though that is easy to fix. But we all differ.

It depends on the thread/s for me.

If I've started a thread I'm certainly interested in being be notified that there have been fresh posts, via email updates.

If I've been closely following a thread (though not necessarily posting to it much, or at all - something I often do), ditto.

Yes, you can certainly check "my posts", "my topics", "my tabs",etc, to see if there have been new contributions to a thread.
But you then have to back-track from the last recorded post to the thread & try & find the point where you were last at.
If there have been pages & pages of new posts (since you last participated) & you are going through this same process with quite a number of different threads, it can be quite off-putting.

The beauty of email updates is that they link you to the exact spot where you left off in the discussion.
That's why I like them so much! Smile
aidan

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 11:59 pm
I'm not getting e-mail notifications. I used to get them and then about a month ago, they suddenly stopped without me adjusting or changing anything.

I just figured it was all part of the transitional phase/work going on on the forum in general.
msolga

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:13 am
@aidan,
You might well be right about that, aidan.

Though the email drought has been going on for longer than that for me.
0 Replies