Does She Have A Case?

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:48 pm
She is suing the mall because she was texting and wasn't paying attention and she walked straight into the water fountain and no one helped her? It sounds like she is angrier that no one helped her than she is that the video got out and went viral.

When are people going to take responsibility for their own actions? SHE was the one walking and texting and NOT watching where she was going. Good thing she wasn't texting while driving a car!

Do you think she as a case?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fountain-lady-nobody-went-to-my-aid-23909987

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
It's hard to feel sorry for her, since she was texting, but HOW or WHY she got into that pool is not the issue.

It could have been a child or an elderly person.

They should have had staff around that body of water at all times.

I imagine many malls with pools are reassessing their security procedures.

Bet she gets some $$ out of it - or a lawyer will.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:58 pm
@Arella Mae,
She's probably just hoping to get paid a lot of money. If there was no potential payout, I bet she wouldn't waste her time with it.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
They should have had staff around that body of water at all times.

How deep was it? I bet it was shallow enough to pass state building codes which differentiate it from a "pool" or other body of water which requires warnings and fences.

Perhaps they should put signs on the doors of the mall which say "Pass at your own risk, the mall contains stationary object like walls and steps and fountains which will not move if you walk into them."

PUNKEY wrote:
Bet she gets some $$ out of it - or a lawyer will.

She'll probably get paid. Then the liability for the mall will go up, they will charge the shops more to rent space, and the shop owners will raise the prices of their products to cover the cost of business, and consumers will pay (as usual).
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:07 pm
@rosborne979,
It wasn't deep at all. I doubt if it was even two feet deep. If she had been texting and not watching the road and ran into a crowd of people she wouldn't be suing anybody, they'd be suing her. She said she was embarrassed. Well duh! No one probably even knew her name until she filed a lawsuit and made it known.

I think it's pretty ridiculous she would try to pull this off and even more ridiculous an attorney would take the case.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
Silly as is it... If I thought I could get away with a couple million in easy cash, I might do the same thing. She probably found an attorney that will take the case for free (and a percentage of the settlement). It's hard to say no to a few million just for exploiting the system and enduring a few weeks of media scrutiny.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
I wonder if Holden Caulfield is still around. He could become The Catcher in the Mall, protecting distracted people like this women from walking into stationary objects.
Her seeming willingness to sue somebody is making her look more and more foolish.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I wonder if Holden Caulfield is still around. He could become The Catcher in the Mall, protecting distracted people like this women from walking into stationary objects.

He could be sued for impeding a person's ability to make an income (through lawsuit).
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:15 pm
@rosborne979,
Yeah, I read that article about what he might be doing now. I can't recall the outcome. College professor or lawyer got mentioned.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:25 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

She's probably just hoping to get paid a lot of money. If there was no potential payout, I bet she wouldn't waste her time with it.
That and she probably wants her fifteen minutes of fame. It just galls me she said she was so embarrassed! Well, I would never have known about this had she not filed the lawsuit and make it national news. Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:26 pm
@Arella Mae,
Her suit has little to do with the fall into the fountain. It has to do with the mall putting the video of her fall onto the internet.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2011/01/fountain_lady_may_sue_jeff_koo.html

Quote:
Well, the security cameras in the mall did, and the guards played it over and over, much to the amusement of their friends, who recorded the whole thing, uploaded it to YouTube and introduced the world to Fountain Lady.

These are the some of the same people monitoring cameras in store dressing rooms.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
I cringed at the video and couldn't finish watching it, the poor dear fool on feet. As a past designer of shallow pools that are visible from afar, I'm all for the mall in this case. Carve that phone from her clenching hand.
Let's wrap the Fountain of Trevi.

I'm clumsy myself, but that is why I look around.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
Then again, it could be a total scam on her part:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fountain-falling-texter-cathy-cruz-marrero-dont-text/story?id=12685189

Quote:
The problems continue to pile up for the
Pennsylvania woman who became the unwitting star
of a viral video after she fell into a mall fountain while
text messaging.

In the hours that followed Cathy Cruz Marrero's
appearance on "Good Morning America" today to talk
about the fall and its aftermath, she was in court for a
status hearing on charges of five felony counts,
including theft by deception and receiving stolen
property.

Marrero, 49, was charged in October 2009 for
allegedly using a coworker's credit cards to make
more than $5,000 in purchases at a Target and a
Zales jewelry store -- $1,055 of those purchases were
dismissed from the case in previous hearings.

She is expected to face sentencing at her next court
date, on April 21, according to the Reading Eagle.
Marrero is likely facing about six months of house
arrest and electronic monitoring.

Her probation ended in October.

Court documents indicate that Marrero has had her
own legal troubles.

She has been out on $7,500 bail since her 2009
charges for alleged theft, records show.

According to court records, Ileana Rivera of Reading,
Pa., who worked at the Zales jewelry store in the
Fairgrounds Square Mall with Marrero, reported that
Marrero had used her credit cards without
permission.

Marrero allegedly made $4,177 in purchases at Zales
advertisement
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
I watched that video that I put the link to in my first post. To me, and I will say TO ME, because it's my perception, she cared more about being embarrassed than anything else. She nor her lawyer really mentioned the video going viral. Now, the people that leaked that video? They should be fired. That was wrong of them to do. I guess we will have to wait and see how this all plays out. You made a great point about the dressing rooms.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:42 pm
Embarrassment?

Seriously?

If she'd just kept her mouth shut nobody would have ever known it was her!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ah, that makes sense.

Plus, I figure the guards who have to watch those camera takes cannot but help to get some jollies over what are essentially very boring screenings. If I had to do that, I might turn into a short story writer.

She seems like, well, never mind, but I can see being enraged if a photo of myself tripping stupidly again went viral.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:44 pm
Worst lawsuit ever.

To answer the original question, no. This lady has nothing but a shyster lawyer. She has no real case.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ah.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:45 pm
@rosborne979,
I used to design to 16".
0 Replies