Does She Have A Case?

MonaLeeza

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
This is all too ridiculous - she didn't hurt herself and you can't recognise her face on the footage. I really hope she doesn't get a penny out of the mall and that she has to pay the mall's legal costs.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@MonaLeeza,
I'm with you on that! I think she should be more embarrassed she is doing this than she was at falling in the fountain.
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:15 pm
@Arella Mae,
All she is hoping for is to get them to give her a few thousands dollars to go away.

Second comment unlike a dressing room for example there is zero expectation of privacy so the mall or anyone else is more then free to release such videos.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 05:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
A woman, by her own negligence and ineptness, falls into a mall pool. The woman is not recognizable. Even her own mother would probably not be able to pick her out. Security cameras capture this and somebody puts it on u-tube. The woman says they should have helped her instead of laughing at her. She extricated herself from the pool in a matter of seconds. The woman wants to sue. FOR WHAT?

I guess she knows there is no warranty on her phone now that the battery got wet. Laughing

I have heard that people will sue for just about anything in the U.S. This proves it. Laughing
Ceili

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:06 pm
She should have submitted it to America's Funniest Video, then she stood a good chance to win some coin, but suing?? Dumb. I saw this yesterday on Facebook. I don't believe the viral video even said which city, never mind what country this was taken in and you'd be hard pressed to recognize your best friend in this video. She should be counter-sued for court costs and the company's time.
I worked doing surveillance for a time, every company has a greatest hits. Believe me!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
She has no legal case.

She didn't injure herself, she didn't require any aid, and the whole thing was her own fault.

That's why her lawyer was so vague about the "lawsuit" and, I think, he even said she might settle for an apology. He might be doing this for some free publicity for himself rather than any expectation of collecting money for her. He might also be her criminal attorney, since she has legal problems, which would make the free publicity angle even more likely.

She seems more upset that they laughed at her when she called the security office the next day. That's what she wants the apology for--she felt they were making fun of her. And she is embarrassed about landing in the fountain, and then seeing it on YouTube.

But, as everyone has pointed out, if she'd kept her mouth shut, no one would have known that she was the one who fell into the fountain.

They might have been violating her privacy, in some way, by posting the video on YouTube without her permission. But she was the one who went public and revealed her identity, so I wouldn't imagine that a lawsuit on that issue would get her much money, if any.

The people in the security office who downloaded the video to a cell phone and then posted it on YouTube might get fired for doing that. The video is the property of the mall, or the security company, and they really had no right to use it that way.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:49 pm
@firefly,
I agree 100%!
KiwiChic

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
Ha Ha funny!!....
anyway on a serious note - not like she was drowning, she was out of that pool before anyone even noticed?

and besides she was lucky it was only water and not a child's pram!
....who would be getting sued then?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:12 pm
@PUNKEY,
That's not a pool, it's a fountain with an almost 2 foot rise/barrier wall off the ground.

A very visible change in the height of the floor so the mall shouldn't have to waste any money having a guard posted on a clearly marked landmark inside the mall.

The only way a child or an elderly person could have walked into the fountain is if they're blind or walking backwards.
KiwiChic

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
LOL!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:52 am
Can she sue me? I laughed too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:51 am
@tsarstepan,
...or talking on a cell phone. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was wondering about that - she shouldn't get money for being stupid, but I could understand the issue about posting the video on U-tube. However, people in the mall should understand that videos are used for security purposes. The lawsuit seems unreasonable for that reason - it isn't really an invasion of privacy. Although the mall should fire the security individuals that posted it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:11 pm
@Intrepid,
It is the new world - where no one takes responsibility for their own actions - always some one else's fault.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:19 pm
Who knows who published it? It's obvious that the video was rerecorded on a cell phone.
Her complaint is that no one came to her aid, chances are, no one actually saw it live. It's on a tape and when she called to tell them what had happened, they probably rewound the tape, watched it and laughed their asses off.
Again, if she hadn't said anything, nothing would have happened.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:21 pm
@Ceili,
I think what happened, if I remember correctly, is it was sent to someone's cell phone from the security camera (office). You are right about that - none of us would have known about it had she not brought it to everyone's attention.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:24 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, but exactly what AID did she need?

She fell like a fool, got up, and walked away.

Cycloptichorn
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
She got her feelings hurt because she said no one offered to help her, which doesn't appear to be true if you listen to the audio on the video. She was asked if she was all right by a worker in one of the stores.

It's another, IMO, of oh poor me, I got offended so I'm going to strike back.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:47 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
They might have been violating her privacy, in some way, by posting the video on YouTube without her permission. But she was the one who went public and revealed her identity, so I wouldn't imagine that a lawsuit on that issue would get her much money, if any.

She was in a place open to the public therefore she have zero expectation of privacy so in a legal sense good luck to her and her lawyer.
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I wonder if Holden Caulfield is still around. He could become The Catcher in the Mall, protecting distracted people like this women from walking into stationary objects.

People never notice anything.
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 2

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go? I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 1

Then she really started to cry, and the next thing I knew, I was kissing her all over…
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 11

People always clap for the wrong things.
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 12

I mean most girls are so dumb and all. After you neck them for a while, you can really watch them losing their brains. You take a girl when she really gets passionate, she just hasn't any brains.
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 13

Goddam money. It always ends up making you blue as hell.
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 15

Girls. You never know what they're going to think.
The Catcher in the Rye
Holden Caulfield in Chapter 18

0 Replies