beloved Thermos of get-up-and-go

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:38 am
Context: The author loved coffee very much while he was a night shift worker.

Unfortunately, a slow, gradual build-up of all that caffeine often left me too wired to fall asleep during the day, or woke me up hours before my brain and body wanted to. After one restless sleep session too many, I resolved to give up my beloved Thermos of get-up-and-go. I would train my body to crave water instead of java and I was sure I'd be calmer, more peaceful, and would hopefully sleep a whole lot better.

So, what does " I resolved to give up my beloved Thermos of get-up-and-go."mean here?

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:44 am
A thermos is an insulated bottle that keeps something hot (or cold, depending on what you put in it). "get-up-and-go" is coffee, because it gives you an energy kick so you can work more, you get up off your butt and go to work. He's trying to stop taking coffee to work and trying to start working drinking water. Probably won't work, coffee;s addictive, your body gets used to it and you need more of it and you need it to function normally.
roger

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:45 am
@MontereyJack,
Penny, disregard this answer.

I've often wondered about that, MJ. Put something hot in it, and it keeps it hot. Put something cold in it; it keeps it cold. How does it know?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 02:07 am
It's clear--the Thermos company obviously perfected solid-state artificial intelligence decades ago.
0 Replies