Mr.Piffka's Quotes

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:07 pm
Fund Our Enemies -- Tom Tole
Okay.. this was yesterday's... Tom Tole is amazing...

http://carapace.weblogs.us/images/Tom%20Toles%20fund%20our%20enemies%200825toles.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:53 pm
Piffka wrote:
Thanks Blue... glad to see another person here.

Oh, I'm certain there are often many folk here checking out the terrific quotes, Piffka! See, I'm here! Laughing

Good morning to you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
Hi Olga! And Good Morning!! Hope your day is starting out fine. <sigh> It's almost dinnertime here. These days go by so quickly on this half of the world. I suppose you're getting ready to plant spring flowers?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:41 pm
Yes, thanks, Piffka .... a nice, slow start to the day today. I start at midday on Fridays. Very Happy Gotta go now & do a bit of tidying up before I head off.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:48 pm
Hey Piffka, I loved the Tom Tole cartoon! I've posted it on the Meaning Of Life thread. Hope that's OK with you. Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:07 am
An amusement for this morning...

----- Olga, what is the Meaning Of Life thread? I guess I'll have to go and take a look and make a bookmark. I love Meaning of Life discussions... they are so pointless in one way, so magnificent in another.

... meanwhile, this is the quote of the day. It is funny, I think. (it's Friday... I think I sense a pattern):

"You may kill me, either on purpose or by not making sure that all the surfaces in my cage are safe to lick. But you can't kill an idea. And that idea is: me chasing you with a big wooden mallet."

Jack Handey (1949- )
What I'd Say to the Martians
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:20 pm
Piffka wrote:
An amusement for this morning...

----- Olga, what is the Meaning Of Life thread? I guess I'll have to go and take a look and make a bookmark. I love Meaning of Life discussions... they are so pointless in one way, so magnificent in another.

Ah, I see you've already found it, Piffka! Very Happy
And that it wasn't quite what you expected! Laughing
(Actually, I'm not sure about how it was placed in the Philosophy forum. I think I'd categorized it as General, or something ... Anyway, it must confuse a lot of folk looking for a deep, deep conversation about the MOL! Laughing )
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:33 pm
Olga... it was better than a deep and meaningless Meaning of Life discussion.

Humo(u)r, IMHO, is what life is about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:08 pm
In the sense humor is a kind of perspective, and the sense that humor brings a fillip of pleasure, it is what life is about..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:36 am
Piffka wrote:
Olga... it was better than a deep and meaningless Meaning of Life discussion.

Humo(u)r, IMHO, is what life is about.

Why thank you, Piffka! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:59 am
You're welcome, Olga. This is an example of ironic humor. Mr.P sent this around with the subject heading: "Two Quotes, Two Views" --

"As people do better, they start voting like Republicans - unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing."
Karl Rove (1950- )

"The aim of a college education is to teach you to know a good man when you see one."
William James (1842-1910)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:54 am
"I had been my whole life a bell, and never knew it until at that moment I was lifted and struck."
Annie Dillard (1945- )

(Ed. note: Many Happy Returns of the Day to my sister, Christina Sue.)
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:11 pm
Do you mind if add one if you don't already have this one? I really don't want to look through all 82 pages of the quotes. But here it is.

"Reach for the moon, if you can't reach the moon you will always land on a star." unknown.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:07 pm
Hello seibentage (does that mean seven days or a week?) and welcome to a2k. I don't mind anyone adding quotes here... plenty of people do. As for looking through the pages -- I know, so many... we used to be able to have 100 posts per page, now we're limited to ten.... you can always do a Search if you want to find something. Check the a2k banner at the top of the page, you'll see a "clickable" Search right next to FAQ. If you need help using that function, just ask.

I hope you enjoy this forum. P.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:17 pm
Still, one could spend a worse day or more
than looking through the pages of this thread...
me, I wish I could print it out, with
all its variety, all its food for thought.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:09 am
Piffka wrote:
"I had been my whole life a bell, and never knew it until at that moment I was lifted and struck."
Annie Dillard (1945- )

(Ed. note: Many Happy Returns of the Day to my sister, Christina Sue.)

Happy birthday, Christina Sue! How lucky for you to have such a great sister! Very Happy

Hmmmm ... "the moment I was lifted & struck" ... <thinking, thinking ...>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:32 am
"High moral ground cannot be occupied by force."
Phil Kennedy (1949- )

Thanks, Osso... thanks, Olga... you are both such loyal readers. <hugs>

Olga -- Very Happy
I can't remember where Dillard said that, but I'm going to check.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:00 pm
Piffka wrote:
Annie Dillard (1945- )

Hi all,

just popped in to read and catch up. then I saw this quotation.
It hit me right between the eyes.

Does anyone know the context in which it was spoken/written?

affectionately jjorge
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:39 pm
Hi Jjorge,
It's been a while. Hope you're well. Yes, the Dillard quote is a good 'un. I checked, it was here:

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, pg. 35

Quote:
When her doctor took her bandages off and led her into the garden, the girl who was no longer blind saw "the tree with the lights in it." It was for this tree I searched through the peach orchards of summer, in the forests of fall and down winter and spring for years. Then one day I was walking along Tinker Creek thinking of nothing at all and I saw the tree with the lights in it. I saw the backyard cedar where the mourning doves roost charged and transfigured, each cell buzzing with flame. I stood on the grass with the lights in it, grass that was wholly fire, utterly focused and utterly dreamed. It was less like seeing than like being for the first time seen, knocked breathless by a powerful glance. The flood of fire abated, but I'm still spending the power. Gradually the lights went out in the cedar, the colors died, the cells unflamed and disappeared. I was still ringing. I had been my whole life a bell, and never knew it until at that moment I was lifted and struck. I have since only very rarely seen the tree with the lights in it. The vision comes and goes, mostly goes, but I live for it, for the moment when the mountains open and a new light roars in spate through the crack, and the mountains slam.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
"When the lights go on, the roaches scatter. Please keep the lights on."
Wynton Marsalis (1961- )
Address to the National Press Club
October 20, 2005 Luncheon
0 Replies