Mr.Piffka's Quotes

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:25 pm
Mr.P sends quotes to me everyday and I thought I'd share them.

I'll start out with the family quotes, towit... I searched my collection for all quotes from members of our own family, including a number I myself have uttered - I am embarrassed to see how many (but not so embarrassed as to omit them!). Mr.P

?An American who says he doesn?t like politics is like a drowning man saying he doesn?t like water.? ? Ronald F. Kennedy (1910-2000)

?Dignity is a good quality but there is too much starch in it for everyday use.? ? Clarence K. Kennedy (1849-1933)

"Don't wook at me!" - JK (1983- ), age 3.

?Every human behavior, no matter how arrogant, ignorant, hideous or depraved, can be justified by means of a belief.? ? Mr.P (1949- )

?Government is a gun.? ? Ron Kennedy (1910-2000)

?Here?s a man with a complete set of piano tuning instruments; he spends his life trying to fix lawnmowers with it.? ? Frederic G. Kennedy (1879-1970)

?We raise our children the same way John Wayne rides horses: no matter which way they go, we just pretend that?s what we intended all along.? ? Mr.P (1949- )

?I struggle every day to be worth what they pay me, but that doesn?t mean I wouldn?t prefer struggling to be worth more.? ? Mr.P (1949- )

"I told you, we should have flewn!" - JK (1983- ), age six, near the end of a 3-day car trip.

?If God were really the sole Supreme Being of the universe, the First Commandment would never have occurred to Him.? ? RK (1984- )

?It is not the weapon, but the law which allows us to rise above our instincts; and it is the law, not the weapon, which permits violence to erupt when it fails.? ? Mr.P (1949- )

?Just because you?re popular, it doesn?t mean people like you.? ? JK (1983- ), age 15.

?Looks like he got the carotid and the aorta both.? ? Piffka (1950- ), reacting to the brutal end to the climactic swordfight in the film Rob Roy.

?Man hasn?t meddled with everything on this planet?there are some things he hasn?t noticed yet.? ? Mr.P (1949- )

"Never buy a tool that does more than one thing." - Mr.P (1949- )

?Now there is a child who needs to have its spirit broken.? ? Piffka (1950- )

Of every ten things you think of to do, don?t do six of them - you?ll lead a happier life." - Mr.P (1949- ), speaking to a young miscreant

"Seldom do we realize that this Now is unique in all it holds and that once it retreats along the time line it becomes as inaccessible as a pebble over the side of the boat. Now it is here, round, smooth, beautiful with its colors glinting in the light. I hold it lightly in my hand. I shall look at it more later ? but later never comes. Something in the new and fresh Now sets aside the pebble. It falls unnoticed over into the depths.? ? Frederic Green Kennedy (1879-1970)

"The English language is, like the ocean, at once the greatest conduit for commerce and the greatest barrier against it." - Mr.P (1949- )

The trouble with ?throw-away? products is, there?s no such thing as ?away'." - Mr.P (1949- )

?There is one thing worse than slow, ineffective, inefficient government: fast, effective, efficient government.? ? Mr.P (1949- )

?There isn?t anyone I want to talk to right now.? ? Juanita Long Kennedy (1917-1990), letting the telephone ring and ring...

?We just can?t understand why more people don?t come here.? ? Piffka (1950- ), referring to Yellowstone National Park.

?Well, here I am, a veritable fountain of wisdom and knowledge?are you sure there isn?t something you?d like to ask me?? ? Ron Kennedy (1910-2000)

?You have permission to pee in your pants.? ? Kennedy family standing orders to children in cars.

?All this trouble just to add one more page to a book that?s already written.? ? Ted Kennedy, on his hospital death bed in the summer of 1970.

Quotes from non-Kennedy family members:

?Every time I decide not to follow standard practice in carpentry, I always find out later why it is standard practice.? ? DH

?They?re into emitting.? ? EF, referring to the residents of fraternity row at the University of Washington in Seattle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 39,870 • Replies: 887
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:26 pm
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:27 pm
December 16, 2003
"Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee." - F. Lee Bailey (1933- )
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
December 17, 2003
"If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim me as a German and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German and Germany will declare that I am a Jew." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955), Address at the Sorbonne
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
December 18, 2003
"I have a bad, bad feeling/That my baby don't live here no more…that's allright, I still got my guitar, look out now….." - Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970), Red House
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:29 pm
December 19, 2003
"Before I met my husband, I'd never fallen in love, though I'd stepped in it a few times." - Rita Rudner
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:30 pm
December 20, 2003
"…a man is a fourteen-room house - in the bedroom he's asleep with his intelligent wife, in the living room he's rolling around with some bareass girl, in the library he's paying his taxes, in the yard he's raising tomatoes, and in the cellar he's making a bomb to blow it all up." - Arthur Miller (1915- )
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 01:20 pm
Wonderful, I would love to say my family had a list too, but I would be lying. You have a great heritage to pass on.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:22 pm
Thanks, Ceili. Your family probably just forgot to write it down. Anyway, it's not really my heritage, but I'm still passing it along. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:32 pm
Mr. P's compiling of quotes is something I had not heard of before you had posted some before. I think it is a wonderful idea, really a very precious thing to do, not just for future piffkas but for the present piffkas to savor.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 07:21 pm
Osso -- Well, it is a harmless enough hobby that seems to keep Mr.P mostly out of trouble. Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 02:09 pm
"Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas and urge the appropriate recognition whereof, in official recognition whereof, I hereby affix my signature this 17th day of April, 2000."

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDSAi0XV44k1S7bTfB5UnIEJAmmExI1erm6BbYUm8q6432ys7SvPz8NlurDHkqTQ6waEE1qxOTY2yqkRtNeq97eVjp5IdBRaoZd1dGdsEtZkFHjPTSqlw/Bush%20with%20Book.JPG?dc=4675452276841860955

photo added by Piffka Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
"Another improvement was that we built our gas chambers to accommodate two thousand people at one time." - Rudolf Hess (1894-1987)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 09:01 am
"If we work on marble, it will perish. If we work upon brass, time will efface it. If we rear temples, they will crumble into dust, but if we work upon immortal minds, and instill into them just principals, we are then engraving upon that tablet that which no time will efface, but will brighten and brighten to all eternity." Daniel Webster (1782-1852)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:44 pm
Keep them coming, piffka, these are good to see.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:07 am
"Put three grains of sand inside a vast cathedral, and the cathedral will be more closely packed with sand than space is with stars." - Sir James Jeans (1877-1946)

(Thanks Osso! He's like a train... can't stop him!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 09:15 am
When a dog howls at the moon, we call it religion. When he barks at strangers, we call it patriotism." --Edward Abbey
To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious. But the stupid have an answer for every question.
It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave.
The ideal society can be described, quite simply, as that in which no man has the power of means to coerce others.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:08 am
Nice Dyslexia... especially the first. I've always admired Edward Abbey.

Here's PFK's quote for Christmas Day:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

-W. B. Yeats (1865-1939), Second Coming
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:17 am
For I am a wild and a lonely child
And the child of an angry man
Now with the high wars raging
I would offer you my hand
For we are the children of darkness
And the prey of a proud, proud land.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 08:37 am
Richard Farina?? I didn't think anybody remembered him anymore. Magnificent man!
0 Replies