Mr.Piffka's Quotes

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 09:03 am
"Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."
Mark Twain
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 10:56 am
I love that quote, Dyslexia, though curiously, the violet's fragrance is so brief as to be nearly ephemeral. My ma said it was because the violet was so pure and our senses are immediately overwhelmed by its raw beauty. Very Happy

Quote:
The incomparable but elusive violet fragrance, which derives from ionine, dulls the sense of smell, so that after a few minutes of inhaling it, one is no longer aware of its presence. Shakespeare, in Hamlet, called it "Sweet, not lasting; the perfume and suppliance of a minute."

Here's Mr. P's quote for December 26th. I love this one - Go Margaret!

"Women want mediocre men, and men are working hard to become as mediocre as possible." - Margaret Mead (1901-1978)

Piffka

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 11:55 am
"The talk of small boys among themselves consists almost entirely of boasting." - Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
"Other world! There is no other world! Here or nowhere is the whole fact." - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), Natural Religion
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:24 am
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble the football." - John Heisman
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:28 am
I could not understand the last one....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
LOL -- That's American football for you, G... almost without understanding!

Heisman is who the extremely famous and yearned-for Heisman Trophy was named for. He's saying here (I think) that any guy who fumbles a football (errrr, that means almost catches but doesn't and drops it, so the pass doesn't count) should have died young instead of bothering to grow up and make such an "awful" mistake. It's tongue-in-cheek, at least from Mr.P's pov.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:50 am
Men and their sport....tsk tsk
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:19 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:49 am
"All governments are run by liars, and nothing they say should be believed." - I. F. Stone (1907-1989)

----
and from Piffka, just for fun, Isidor Feinstein's interview with himself on his 70th birthday...
I.F. Stone breaks the Socrates Story!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 03:31 pm
Double Dip Quote for New Year's Eve
"My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns. We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand." - James Watt, U.S. Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan, Washington Post 5/24/1981

"Believing as I do that man in the distant future will be a far more perfect creature than he now is, it is an intolerable thought that he and all other sentient beings are doomed to complete annihilation after such long-continued slow progress. To those who fully admit the immortality of the human soul, the destruction of our world will not appear so dreadful." - Charles Robert Darwin (1809-1882), Life and Letters
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:29 pm
Now there is an inscription, composed of the juxtaposed.

Here's to you and family on New Year's, piffy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:49 pm
Piffka

Hey, these are good. Very good, too, Dyslexia! <clap! clap!>
Mr Piffka is a man of my own heart! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 08:25 am
Thanks, MsOlga! I'll pass your kind words back to Mr.P. I hope that Dys comes back with some more quotes soon.

"As God's my judge, I do cry holy, holy,
Upon the name of love however brief,
For want of whose ill-trimmed, aspiring wick
More days than one I have gone forward slowly
In utter dark, scuffling the drifted leaf,
Tapping the road before me with a stick."

- Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892-1950), When did I ever deny, though this was fleeting
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:45 am
"All human evil comes from man's inability to sit still in a room." - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
Now there's a good one.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 03:40 pm
Yeah, I agree! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:08 pm
I seem to remember hearing interesting things re Blaise Pascal, but not what they were.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:34 pm
Heehee, well, Pascal was an odd duck! He was a mathematician and physicist who argued with Descartes about whether or not there was such a thing as a "vacuum." (Descartes thought not!) He published his first mathematical paper at 16, died young... at 39. He was apparently a real genius, though twisted by his religion. He was educated at home under odd circumstances... not allowed to read mathematics by his father until he started working out problems on his own, then he was allowed to read Euclid!

He was a famous Catholic whose work, Pensées, is still considered an argument for faith. He disliked the Jesuits and championed the Jansenists (an odd group who believed in the evil of humanity). He was said to have worn, at some point in his life, a cincture, ie. a rope belt, embedded with nails so that he could "punish" himself when he had wicked thoughts. He was known for believing that wagering was a human condition and developed Pascal's Wager* for determining whether or not to believe in God. Take your pick, Osso, the guy was loonie and raised by loonies!

Quote:
*Pascal's Wager -- from the Catholic Encyclopedia
God exists or He does not exist, and we must of necessity lay odds for or against Him.

If I wager for and God is -- infinite gain;
If I wager for and God is not -- no loss.
If I wager against and God is -- infinite loss;
If I wager against and God is not -- neither loss nor gain.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:45 pm
Sounds like one of the a2k threads, all by one guy.
0 Replies