HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Paul is an interesting one.
He was originally Saul of Tarsus.
He was hostile to Christianity when he was an eyewitness.
He was killing Christians in the name of God.

Then, suddenly, while out on a nice stroll to Damascus to go kill some more Christians, he changed his mind and decided to be a Christian as well, even changing his name.

That is Paul.
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yes, i did miss that. However, he can't know very much about Origen if he doesn't understand why he is important in a discussion of the text of the so-called new testament.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:46 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
. . . So, if you're an artist and you know that painting a white Jesus is
probably false, what motivates you to do it despite your own knowledge? . . .

Depends on the artist.
Is he an illustrator for an educational publication?
Is he on commission to provide a work for a church?
Is he an independent artist?

In each case how the artist portrays Jesus may be different.
If he is into non-representational stuff, his Jesus may not even be
recognizably human.
failures art

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:12 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
You are obviously fishing for something so just post it already.

I've said directly what I'm "fishing" for: I want to know what academic knowledge of Jesus and the region is excluded from modern depictions of him.

Even your flip-off Jesus illustrated the point. He's a WHITE Jesus flipping me off.

McGentrix wrote:
Jesus was and has been painted white by white people. Duh, not overly complicated.

So the same white people given the relevant cultural and historical knowledge of the time and region, have NO INTEREST in creating the closest to factual image?

Absolute accuracy is unattainable, so no part of accuracy is important? Is that it?
R
T
failures art

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:18 pm
@George,
George wrote:

failures art wrote:
. . . So, if you're an artist and you know that painting a white Jesus is
probably false, what motivates you to do it despite your own knowledge? . . .

Depends on the artist.
Is he an illustrator for an educational publication?
Is he on commission to provide a work for a church?

Why would the aesthetic desires of a church be different than that of a educational publication?

Don't churches view themselves as educational bodies?

George wrote:

Is he an independent artist?

I've seen some independent artists do depictions of Jesus as non-white. I saw a redux of the last supper where Jesus and all the apostles were black. Such a revision of a classic painting much have been choosen if only to save having to answer who the picture is of. Had it been a simple portrait, it would not have been obvious.

George wrote:

In each case how the artist portrays Jesus may be different.
If he is into non-representational stuff, his Jesus may not even be
recognizably human.

A good point. I think in this case, we're leaving the cultural bias out all together. That's probably a good thing.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:23 pm
@George,
You said what I was thinking, George, about depiction depending on the artist and his role.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:30 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
I don't consider a cotton mill owner to be a scholarly authority on ancient documents. Homer is your bĂȘte noire, not mine. I have not said that he was an historical figure, nor that he wrote absolute truth in the books attributed to him. Mentioning Homer is irrelevant. I also haven't said that the so-called new testament was written after 70 CE, i've just pointed out that 300 years leaves a lot of room for revision. That's why i've mentioned Origen, Pamphilus and Eusebius.

Since it isn't established that he died and was resurrected, commenting about witnesses to events we don't know happened is also meaningless.

I've reviewed your alleged sources again and again in these fora, so i'm not going to bother to go into too much detail, but i'll respond. The passage from Flavius Josephus is almost certainly an interpolation. Professor Feldman of Yeshiva University, an expert on the Hellenistic world, did a review of the literature about the Josephus passage, and referring to 87 textual passages and articles, wrote that the "overwhelming majority" of recent scholars consider the Josephus passage to be in part or entirely an interpolation. The claim about Josephus does not appear until Eusebius mentions it, almost 300 years after your boy supposedly lived and died. Origen, who frequently cites Josephus fails to mention such a passage, and he would have had good reason to do so. Flavius Josephus was not alive when your boy is said to have died.

The passage in Tacitus is very likely an interpolation, too. It mentions christians at a time when even christians didn't call themselves christians. It's charge against Nero is flatly contradicted by the account of the fire in Seutonius. No mention of the passage is made until the 15th century--and as is the case with Origen and Josephus, it is rather astonishing that such a source would be available and yet no one mentions it for over 1400 years. The alleged Tacitus passage is not evidence that your boy was for real, just that some people thought so, and the passage is suspect. Publius Cornelius Tacitus was born almost 20 years after Flavius Josephus. He was not alive when your boy Jesus was alleged to have lived and died.

Pliny doesn't offer any evidence that your boy Jesus was real, or that the events described in the so-called new testament took place as advertised. He simply writes to the emperor to know how to deal with people who are a problem. He was born five years after Tacitus, he was not alive when your boy Jesus was said to have lived and died.

Plegon lived in the second century--he is even further from the events than the three here who preceded him. He was not alive at the time that your boy Jesus is said to have lived and died.

Thallus comes closest, but he is not and does not claim to have been an eyewitness to the life of your boy Jesus. He is, in fact, not mentioned by Eusebius as a source for an historical Jesus, although he mentions him as a source for the historyof Syria. Eusebius was notorius for the Josephus interpolation. It's a bit much to think that Eubebius would indulge in forgery, and yet fail to mention such a solid, genuine source. The first mention of Thallus as a source for an historical Jesus is not until 800 years later.

Seutonius wrote about someone called Chrestus, and christians have been trying to fudge that one for almost 2000 years. He was even younger than Tacitus, being born five years after the fire which Tacitus describes. (Large fires were common in Rome--tenements were built of wood, and as many people as possible packed into them, since they were taxed by the hearth, and not the head.) He, in fact, contradicts the Tacitus account on the behavior of Nero after the fire. He does mention christians, but that's just evidence that they existed, it is not evidence that anything in the so-called new testaments is true. He was not alive when your boy Jesus is said to have lived and died.

Lucian was born even later, more than 50 years after Seutonius. He wrote a single satire which ridicules the gullibility of christians. He is not a source for your boy Jesus, just that there were christians, which i don't believe any here disputes. He was not alive when your boy Jesus was said to have lived and died.

Celsus, who lived in the second century, is the first one you have here, apart from the Josephus interpolation, who actually mentions an historical Jesus--and he was an opponent of christianity. He cannot be considered a confirmation that anything in the so-called new testament took place as described. He was not alive when your boy Jesus is said to have lived and died. He is the closest you can come to a source for an historical Jesus, but he lived more than a hundred years later, so his sources are suspect.

You're going even further off the deep end with Mara Bar-Serapion. He just mentions "a wise king" who was killed by his own people, the Jews--he doesn't name any names. That's pretty slim pickin's there, Bubba. He was not alive when your boy Jesus was said to have lived and died. The letter in which he mentions this "wise king" was first referred to in a christian source some 400 years after he, Mara, had died. The source couldn't be more ambiguous and suspect.

The Talmud passages are even more ambiguous. None of them mention anyone but "Yeshu," and that in a passage dealing with a man who lived a hundred years before your boy Jesus, if he ever actually existed, was born.

I've not said that Jesus didn't exist. Just that there's no evidence, and certainly no contemporary evidence. You have completely failed to provide any evidence.

There is no external corroborating evidence for the earthquake to which you refer.

There are millions and millions of copies of The Lord of the Rings. Do you think that in 2000 years, people will be justified in using that as evidence that the events described actually took place?

You have failed completely to establish that the so-called new testament in an historical account.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:32 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

He's a WHITE Jesus flipping me off.

George was taking what I am guessing as the most popular picture of Jesus in the US (I don't know about everywhere, or in my parents' time) and showing the play with it.

Why are you so irritated we all don't know the motivations of present day depicters?

My parents had a picture of the sacred heart over their bed.
I probably should have saved it after they died, or maybe not - it's enough I have a very old photo of a grandmother I never met in my bedroom along with all the nudes - but it went in the garage sale.

In their case, and mine when I was a believer, we had strong connections to patterns in the irish church. I do mean irish, like Fr. Peyton, he of the rosary crusade and the fatima promotion, who many times ate dinner at our house and recited the rosary for my dad.
Although, I must say, I've never seen a Jesus rendition with freckles. I'd remember it.
JPB

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:42 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
Quote:
That is Paul.

You have a lot to learn, grasshopper.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:42 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

failures art wrote:

He's a WHITE Jesus flipping me off.

George was taking what I am guessing as the most popular picture of Jesus in the US (I don't know about everywhere, or in my parents' time) and showing the play with it.

Flip off Jesus was McGentrix, not George.

ossobuco wrote:

Why are you so irritated we all don't know the motivations of present day depicters?

I'm not irritated. I'm simply shocked that the motivation for such a choice is not examined at all. I guess the situation in my head if I ever meet a person who paints or draws a Jesus will be: "What made you CHOOSE to make him white?" Art is not a passive act. Every line, and every stroke of paint is filled with intent.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:03 pm
@failures art,
I and some others on a2k are artists; I know lots of us of many varieties whether we call ourselves that. Doing art is an open thing. Some don't call it art, but play.

Chances of my making a depiction of Jesus are nil. On the hypothetical that I would, I'd have to think about that. It's not that blasphemy stops me, as that I don't want to make fun since that is not quite how I think, at the same time I am not interested enough to proffer what might realistically attempt to show this man told from Bethlehem and the good bits he said, or is said to have said. To abstractly show it is beyond me, a challenge to others.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:05 pm
@failures art,
Just caught that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:16 pm
My Mama's Jesus was white. What more cause should I need?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:20 pm
@failures art,
I guess I didn't quite answer, re your shock. I think you could work up a study of those who do depict Jesus online and make hay of the data.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:54 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Why would the aesthetic desires of a church be different than that of a educational publication?

Don't churches view themselves as educational bodies?

No doubt, most do.
But the primary purpose of art within a church is to enhance the devotion
of the faithful.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:06 pm
@George,
For sure, I agree with George. (I must add in the revolting church, take Spain under Franco). But there was some elasticity for the artists back in the heydey of the artists.
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
When i was a boy, if you grew your hair "too long," they would ask ya if you were posin' fer Jesus pictures . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

For sure, I agree with George. But there was some elasticity.

OK, now I've got a mental image of the resurrected Jesus on a bungee cord.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:11 pm
@George,
No, but watch him reading Vasari, or the kid, Cellini.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 07:30 pm
@George,
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/3757423093_02d2ca4c3c.jpg