The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 01:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thank you. It's interesting how things play out. My kin, like yours were from the midwest (Wisconsin). They came from what is now Germany, I guess, and dug canals and farmed. They became merchants and professionals.
My folks came east at the start of WW2 and I was born later. I am a Virginian.
I can't quite get it all tied together as to why, but 15 years later my mom was a foot soldier in the civil rights movement. And I became a liberal.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 01:52 pm
@JPB,
Ditto JPB. Nothing would make me vote for Obama faster than Rick Perry being the republican candidate. There are other GOPers that I could vote for though.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 01:57 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Ditto JPB. Nothing would make me vote for Obama faster than Rick Perry being the republican candidate. There are other GOPers that I could vote for though.
why?
maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 02:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
He's probably the most overtly religious presidential contender I've seen, which for me is an immediate turn-off.

I disagree with most republicans positions on social issues, but this guy actually may truly believe god demands that he fixes some issues, like gay marriage and abortion. Anyone who truly beleives that they are directed by god to do things, scare the **** out of me.

I know his beliefs don't differ much from the stated positions of other GOPers, but I don't think many of them have their heart in it...they just hold those positions to keep their base happy.

Perry is on a mission from God to fix these things. Scary ****.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 03:09 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Perry is on a mission from God to fix these things. Scary ****.
Interesting.....I think that come election time people will want a guy who knows who he is and what he believes and who is on a mission to fix America...I think that beats Obama who seems to believe in little and is ready to fight for even less, and that people will not care why Perry is all of those things.

It will be interesting to watch at any rate, and to be clear I REALLY do not like Perry either mostly for his willingness to make Government the morality judge and punisher, but I think he can win because we are desperate to find a leader and no one else is stepping up to apply for the job.
maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
I didn't say he wouldnt win, or resonate with Americans....just that I personally won't vote for him.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:27 pm
@maporsche,
Neither will I. Lets break out some of Molley Ivans writings About Perry.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 10:11 pm
Perry is leading the pack on Intrade.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 10:59 pm
@Irishk,
Just talked to my brother who has lived in san Antonio for 15 years...he says thay it will be Perry, and he as a libertarian hates Perry.
Irishk

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Intrade can be wonky this far out. They also have Huntsman ahead of Bachman.
JPB

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:09 am
I was listening to some Republican strategists this morning lament the possibility that the Reps are looking to have their McGovern moment. None of the front runners, with perhaps the exception of Mitt, are perceived as being electable in the general election. When asked what a "mainstream Republican" should look for in the primaries the response was that Huntsman still stands a chance (long shot) or maybe a Chris Christie or Paul Ryan will enter the race and give the core (vs the base) someone to rally behind.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:10 am
@Irishk,
Bachman probably peaked on Saturday.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:21 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Bachman probably peaked on Saturday.

Agreed.

http://www.pensitoreview.com/Wordpress/wp-content/themes/mimbo2.2/images/BachmannCorndog.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:16 pm
Great line from Cohen re Perry:

Quote:
The White House now has plenty to worry about. Of course, Perry may turn out to be no Ronald Reagan. But then he doesn’t have to be. After all, Barack Obama has turned out to be no Barack Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-texas-gipper/2011/08/15/gIQA2SQGHJ_story.html?hpid=z2
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 02:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Perry is like a worse version of Bush; he has as many dumbass positions, but doesn't even have the excuse of being dumb.

My parents are much like what you described above - Texas Republicans, who hate Perry. They are pretty bummed that he'll probably win the GOP nomination.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Interesting...I wonder if we will at some point hear about Texans who actually like the guy. Somebody keeps voting for him, he is the longest serving gov in Texas history right?
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

LOL!

You libs continue to show your weaknesses every time you attack a conservative.
You can't admit your mistake with Obama, so you fabricate lies about others.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Finn? Just guessing...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:11 pm
Bill Clinton is quoted as being happy to see Perry running. "He's a good lookin feller" or something like that. Clinton sank another notch in my estimation.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Clinton sadly summed up way the many voters go, they take appearance and vote based on that, not knowing or caring what the candidate (suuposedly/allegedly) stands for.

In another thread, somebody referred to Perry as 'smarmy'. There too, many voters seem to adore smarmy over character or ideas.
0 Replies