The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 02:53 pm
@engineer,
Spot on.

What's amazing to me, and what really speaks to the underlying character and motivations of the uber-rich (such as Romney) is the amount of effort they expend to pay the lowest rate possible, despite the fact that they have no practical or pressing reasons to do so.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 02:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's because they have already won the hearts and minds of the conservatives who continue to advocate for more tax cuts for the wealthy - because they say taxing the wealthy is a transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor.

Obama is the "food stamp president" didn't you know?
Below viewing threshold (view)
DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What's amazing to me, and what really speaks to the underlying character and motivations of the uber-rich (such as Romney) is the amount of effort they expend to pay the lowest rate possible, despite the fact that they have no practical or pressing reasons to do so.

I suspect that it's not a matter of expending effort, but rather the exact opposite.

They're handing this off to some firm that specializes in it. They hand it off, and I doubt they think about it again until they're asked to sign the paperwork.

It's not like Mitt Romney is sitting down and doing his own return on TurboTax.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:34 pm
@engineer,
Very little of what Romney has earned qualifies as income the average working stiff earns. Most of his wealth comes from dividends and that is taxed at a different rate than income.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Timothy Franz Geithner, Mit actually payed his taxes.

Also, if you want a real eye opener, look at what Bill Clinton has been earning these past few years and what taxes he has paid...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:38 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I suspect that it's not a matter of expending effort, but rather the exact opposite.

They're handing this off to some firm that specializes in it. They hand it off, and I doubt they think about it again until they're asked to sign the paperwork.

It's not like Mitt Romney is sitting down and doing his own return on TurboTax.

Um, Romney likely pays a tremendous amount of money to 'some firm' to deal with this. Money spent = effort, paying someone else to do your labor doesn't change that fact.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Shocked Amazing! That's one of the dumbest statements you have ever made here on A2K.

The practical reason is to legally keep more of what you have earned. Every single wage earner in this country
should work to pay the lowest possible tax rate each and every year... there is no logical reason not to.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

And you can't prove Obama isn't the food stamp president don't you know?

How many people were added to the food stamp rolls under Bush vs Obama?
Did you vehemently oppose the relaxing of the eligibility rules by Bush in 2002 and 2008 (I think those were the years)?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
You were commenting about Obama being the "Food Stamp" President. How does the increase in food stamp recipients under Obama compare to Bush?
You don't know, do you?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Money spent = effort

It does for you and me.... But Mitt Romney's income comes from investments, nowadays. "Unearned income," remember?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
paying someone else to do your labor doesn't change that fact.

I have to disagree with you. I people all the time to take care of unpleasant tasks. It's more work for me to maintain a mower, wait for good weather, mow my yard in the heat and dust and pollen, than it is to just pay someone else to do it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 03:52 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Money spent = effort

It does for you and me.... But Mitt Romney's income comes from investments, nowadays. "Unearned income," remember?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
paying someone else to do your labor doesn't change that fact.

I have to disagree with you. I people all the time to take care of unpleasant tasks. It's more work for me to maintain a mower, wait for good weather, mow my yard in the heat and dust and pollen, than it is to just pay someone else to do it.

You're just shifting your effort around - you had to earn the money to pay the guy to do the lawn somehow.

Good point about Romney's investment income, though.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:00 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Money spent = effort

That's what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yes, I know I'm shifting effort. I'm shifting effort from something difficult, to something easy.

I'm lucky enough that it's easy for me to earn the money for a lawn guy. An hour's mental effort in air conditioned comfort vs. an hour's physical effort outside in the heat? I'll make that trade. And the reason I make that trade is that it reduces my effort.

And what would take me an hour takes my lawn guy 10 minutes... because he does it all day every day and owns the equipment to make it take less effort.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
Food stamp President?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
More lies from Newt.

From Cololines.com:

Quote:
At a Republican debate last Monday, former speaker Newt Gingrich claimed that “more people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history.” The Gingrich campaign quickly released a commercial the next day touting the same claim but it turns out that’s not true, according to research by the Annernberg Public Policy Center’s FactCheck.org.

“Gingrich would have been correct to say the number now on food aid is historically high,” according to the most recent figures looked at by FactCheck.org. More details below:

But Gingrich goes too far to say Obama has put more on the rolls than other presidents. We asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition service for month-by-month figures going back to January 2001. And they show that under President George W. Bush the number of recipients rose by nearly 14.7 million. Nothing before comes close to that.

And under Obama, the increase so far has been 14.2 million. To be exact, the program has so far grown by 444,574 fewer recipients during Obama’s time in office than during Bush’s.

Other GOP candidates have made claims that African-Americans (or “blah” people) are the majority on public assistance in the United States. That’s also not true.

36 percent of those receiving food stamps are white, 22 percent were African American and 10 percent were Latino, according to the most recent Department of Agriculture report on the general characteristics of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or “food stamp” program.
hingehead

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
African-Americans (or “blah” people)

That was a weird sound byte
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:59 pm
@hingehead,
There is even more where that came from.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
I just wonder why black people vote republican. Can anyone explain that to me?