The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

TheLeapist

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Exactly. The phrase in itself is harmless, although I'm not sure I agree 100% with it. You can't blame the dems/other GOP candidates for jumping on it though. That's just politics, unfortunately.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:21 pm
@TheLeapist,
TheLeapist wrote:

Exactly. The phrase in itself is harmless, although I'm not sure I agree 100% with it. You can't blame the dems/other GOP candidates for jumping on it though. That's just politics, unfortunately.

They should have known better. Presumably, Romney has a team of strategists that are paid to come up with stuff like this. A simple Google search would have revealed the error, but they couldn't be bothered to do it.

Says a lot about the management team...

Cycloptichorn
TheLeapist

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Very true. It was a huge blunder.
Quote:
Presumably, Romney has a team of strategists that are paid to come up with stuff like this
If that is true then the attacks on Romney personally are even more baseless. You're 100% right, though, it was extremely careless on the part of everyone involved.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:32 pm
@TheLeapist,
TheLeapist wrote:

Very true. It was a huge blunder.
Quote:
Presumably, Romney has a team of strategists that are paid to come up with stuff like this
If that is true then the attacks on Romney personally are even more baseless. You're 100% right, though, it was extremely careless on the part of everyone involved.

The Buck Stops at the Top. It is absolutely appropriate to attack Romney over this.

I'm quite sure he's furious about it - along with a lot of other things these days.

Cycloptichorn
TheLeapist

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree that it's his own fault for accepting and using a slogan without knowing its history, but I was referring to the people trying to label him a closet KKK member when I said baseless. Which it is considering he most likely didn't even come up with it. But, like I said, that's just politics.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:39 pm
@TheLeapist,
TheLeapist wrote:

I agree that it's his own fault for accepting and using a slogan without knowing its history, but I was referring to the people trying to label him a closet KKK member when I said baseless. Which it is considering he most likely didn't even come up with it. But, like I said, that's just politics.

Oh, sorry; yes, you are correct that labelling him a KKK member is reprehensible, he has never displayed or done anything that would merit such a charge.

I feel kinda bad for the guy.

For a bit, until I think of all the jobs he destroyed back in the 80's, so he could be a mega-millionaire, back when he was running Bain capital. Then I stop feeling quite as bad.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:50 pm
In related electoral news,

Senate Republicans are trying to pass a plan that would finance the Payroll tax cut that everyone seems to want by cutting the Medicare benefits of CURRENT retirees. In order to avoid raising taxes on the wealthy to pay for it.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/house-gop-payroll-tax-cut-bill-cuts-medicare-for-current-middle-class-retirees.php

It's like they secretly love Obama and want him to win.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 05:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
They've already made college grads angry by their voting against Pell Grants, parents angry by cutting education, and now they want to cut Medicare for seniors. The GOP also voted against small business tax cuts.

Who are those conservatives who still supports their party?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 05:55 pm
The National Review, a Republican establishment publication, rather plaintively urges it readers to not support Newt. It does not, though, suggest support for another candidate.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 06:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

The National Review, a Republican establishment publication, rather plaintively urges it readers to not support Newt. It does not, though, suggest support for another candidate.

Ah, c'mon. I read that site every single day; they are pushing for Romney. Many of their columnists have came right out and admitted it, others simply stick to trashing his opponents.

The rest of the right-wing web has been calling it 'National Romney Online' for a few months now, so I can tell ya it's not just me who thinks so.

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 06:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I know that, Cyclo. The vitriol amongst the Republican candidates and the factions within the party is what catches my ear. Is it somewhat beyond what is typical?
I think I heard the word "zany" applied to Newt today. Romney slams Newt over his spending at Tiffany's. And tonight, Bachmann hints that there "...might be money changing hands" in South Carolina in exchange for votes (for Newt).
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 06:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
Even the republican party leaders are telling their members not to vote for Newt.

Interesting times.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 06:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I know that, Cyclo. The vitriol amongst the Republican candidates and the factions within the party is what catches my ear. Is it somewhat beyond what is typical?

Oh, I do believe so. Yes. And everyone knows why: none of the candidates are really acceptable. That's a bitter pill for Conservatives to swallow, though, so they simply stick to attacking who they consider to be the worst.

Quote:
I think I heard the word "zany" applied to Newt today. Romney slams Newt over his spending at Tiffany's. And tonight, Bachmann hints that there "...might be money changing hands" in South Carolina in exchange for votes (for Newt).

Nice!

And it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:18 am
Mario Cuomo, who I expect you all know of, once said--

"You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose."

All I can say is that if this is the poetic phase god help us when we get to the prose.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
No, that's not the problem with this slogan.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:38 am
Romney is handling things really badly lately. If he'd stayed on his existing course I thought he was pretty much inevitable, as much as people dislike him.

However, Gingrich is getting to him in a way that previous surging candidates haven't, and while I don't think Gingrich can beat the Romney we saw up until a couple of weeks ago, the new Romney can totally beat himself.

Which might leave Gingrich as the last man standing (though in such a topsy-turvy atmosphere, may yet be Paul or Huntsman or someone else).

In theory Romney can just revert to being the candidate he was being, and still be OK. But he's getting into this pattern of swerves and then overcorrections and then overcorrecting the overcorrections that is dangerous.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually, oddly enough they seem to be pushing John Huntsman. Not sure it will fly. At this point, I don't have a clue who ends up being the republican nominee.

Quote:
The editorial board of National Review most strongly came out against former House speaker Newt Gingrich, who’s quickly seized the top spot in the GOP presidential horserace.

While the editors admitted Gingrich has made an “amazing comeback,” given his uncommon marriage history and near-death campaign experience earlier this year, they insisted his narrative as a nominee would be more damaging than productive for the Republican Party.

“If he is the nominee, a campaign that should be about whether the country will continue on the path to social democracy would inevitably become to a large extent a referendum on Gingrich instead,” the article states.

The editors cited what they considered a number of character flaws for Gingrich while he was speaker - “his impulsiveness, his grandiosity, his weakness for half-baked (and not especially conservative) ideas” - and argued they have little reason to believe he has changed.

“Gingrich has always said he wants to transform the country. He appears unable to transform, or even govern, himself. He should be an adviser to the Republican party, but not again its head,” they wrote.

The editors also discouraged voters from choosing Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who they say seems “persistently unable to bring gravity to the national stage.” Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and Texas Rep. Ron Paul also made the list of unwanted candidates.

Instead, National Review suggested voters take a second look at Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, who’s struggled to make big gains in national polls. The magazine rates him as someone with a “solid record” despite his “apparent inability, so far, to forge a connection with conservative voters outside Utah.”

In the last election cycle, the magazine endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, and again offered support for the candidate this time around, saying “he would make a fine president.” But it ceded that “time and ceaseless effort have not yet overcome conservative voters’ skepticism about the liberal aspects of his record.”

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum also won the magazine’s support. The editors praised his experience as a legislator, serving two terms in the Senate in addition to two terms in the House of Representatives.

source
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:57 am

Romney is the choice of liberals because they know Obama can beat him.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 09:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't know cyclop, the stink of congress always ends smelling the worst at the white house. Its just the way it has been.

Democrats mull dropping millionaire surtax
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 10:28 am

Seriously...

Quote:
I’m driving to my Atlanta residence from Peachtree-DeKalb Airport yesterday … down Peachtree at 5:00 p.m. It was by far the most dangerous part of my trip from Naples. Somewhere around Lenox Square I see in front of me is a Saab (I think) convertible with the top down. A blonde is driving – never see the passenger. On the rear bumper is an Obama “2012” sticker. Now --- hours later --- I must say that I’m glad I never caught up with that convertible in traffic because I felt this overwhelming desire to look at the driver and say “Really? Are you really that ignorant?”

Actually the proper line would have been “Are you really that stupid?” Ignorant means you haven’t learned. Stupid means you can’t. Considering the state or our economy in 2008 you might be excused for voting for Obama the first time around … but to do it a second time? You must either be living off the government in some manner – or you’re just hopelessly out of your freaking mind. If this woman in the convertible hasn’t learned in the last three years that Barack Obama is the most incompetent, dangerous and un-American president we’ve ever seen; if she hasn’t learned that our Republic might well not survive another four more years under this man’s anti-capitalist class warfare rule, then she simply isn’t capable of absorbing and processing information. That’s the very definition of “stupid.”

Maybe she was borrowing the car! Don’t let this happen to you. If you borrow a car from someone suffering from ObamaDementia, put duct tape over any Obama bumper stickers – at least the positive ones. If you have a “Change You Can Step In” bumper sticker complete with the Obama logo on a little round pile of doggie squeeze …. Then Drive proudly!