I coulda fooled me.

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 02:34 pm
Quote:
Placebos can be effective in medical treatments--even if the patients taking them know that they're not actual medications, researchers from Harvard Medical School's (HMS) Osher Research Center and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) have discovered.

In the study, researchers selected 80 individuals who were suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and divided them into two groups. The first received no treatment, while the others were given placebos, told that they were effectively just sugar pills, and were told to take them two times each day for a period of three weeks.

Not only did we make it absolutely clear that these pills had no active ingredient and were made from inert substances, but we actually had 'placebo' printed on the bottle," HMS Associate Professor of Medicine Ted Kaptchuk said in a statement Wednesday. "We told the patien"ts that they didn't have to even believe in the placebo effect. Just take the pills."

According to an HMS press release, by the end of the trial, nearly twice as many of those who received the placebo treatment reported "adequate symptom relief" (59 percent) when compared to the control group (35 percent). The results showed that those patients taking the placebo showed improvement rates "to a degree roughly equivalent to the effects of the most powerful IBS medications."

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:16 pm
@dyslexia,
Humans be wondrous and weird.
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:17 pm
That sounds like something I'd do.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:19 pm
@dlowan,
yes I'm wondrous and you're definitely weird.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:46 pm
@dyslexia,
perhaps all the pills i swallow are nothing but ground up and coloured dung beetle collections ?

how'd i even know ???

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8yBmwXW4XEM/SyheIUB8ghI/AAAAAAAAC48/rMBN2sPWC-o/s400/DUNG_BEETLE.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:47 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

yes I'm wondrous and you're definitely weird.

Yeah...but remember you're dyslexic.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:07 pm
@dyslexia,
If believing (or wanting) to be cured has that much of an effect on a person, it makes you wonder just how much of an effect it has on a person when they believe they are sick or worry too much about getting sick.

The psychology of the phenomena almost certainly works both ways.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:10 pm
So, um.. what exactly is an IBS drug??
I BS, you BS, we all BS..
dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:12 pm
@Ceili,
irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:14 pm
Many times in a younger day, whenever I would feel sick, I would question myself: Are you sure it's not psychosomatic? Magically, the illness would vanish, most of the time.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:20 pm
@dyslexia,
Gotcha, thanks
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:22 pm
@dyslexia,
for further information see the ad that appeared at the bottom of the page !
Shocked Laughing Rolling Eyes

http://www.ca.depend.com/
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:50 pm
The mind is a weird thing sometimes. I sometimes call in sick (faking a sick voice and all) when I feel like taking a day off. Every time I do, sure enough, by the end of the day, I'm really sick. Defeats the purpose of having a day off, and then I have to go to work the next day while I'm still sick. Grr.
0 Replies