Why Are Republicans Holding Up the First Responders Bill?

snood

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:11 pm
The First Responders Bill - which would provide 7.4 billion over 10 years in relief for health problems in First Responders to the 9/11 tragedy - is being held up in the Senate. Republicans are filibustering to keep it from coming to a vote. I heard that some of them were complaining that it should be a 'stand alone' bill, so that it couldn't be saddled with any extras. It is now a stand alone bill. Some said it would saddle the taxpayers with another debt - but its paid for by getting rid of a tax loophole. I heard Senator John Kyl (R-Arizona) saying they didn't have time to vote on it because that would involve working between Christmas and New Years Day, which would disrespect the Christian Religion. That one is almost beneath comment, except I will say that any of those firemen and police and laborers who dug out bodies for months wouldn't hesitate to work on those "holy" days. I haven't heard any of them offer an excuse that a sane, ethical person could look you in the eyes and say. Not one. So I'm asking you with sympathies on the right and/or with republicans here on A2K - why are they holding that bill up?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/18/911-first-responders-bill_1_n_798728.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/18/shepard-smith-911-first-responders-bill_n_798625.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,603 • Replies: 27

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:16 pm
@snood,
There is no reasonable answer, snood.

And, what's really a shame is that it's taken "Comedy Central" to draw attention to this fiasco.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-16-2010/9-11-first-responders-react-to-the-senate-filibuster?xrs=eml_tds

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/368913/december-16-2010/christmas-holy-week?xrs=eml_col
snood

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:20 pm
@JPB,
I hear ya, but I've never seen a rightwing cause that someone here on A2K wouldn't defend, and I wanted to see one of them defend this one.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:15 pm
Wake up people! Republicans are only interested in giveing money to rich people, not people in need.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:28 pm
@rabel22,
Following. I don't know enough to comment.
JTT

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Have you forgotten how to read, RJB?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:37 am
Why would all three left wing liberal networks - ABC, CBS, and NBC ignore the story?
revelette

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:43 am
@H2O MAN,
The answer is obvious, they ain't left wing.

I read about the story on Huffingston Post. Someone else got the story from comedy Central.

Quote:
I hear ya, but I've never seen a rightwing cause that someone here on A2K wouldn't defend, and I wanted to see one of them defend this one.

I guess they're forming their arguments.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 09:09 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

The answer is obvious, they ain't left wing.

LOL!

Sure they are and you know it.
jcboy

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
I'm sorry you obviously dropped out of high school in the 5th grade.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:00 pm
@snood,
John Boehner is opposing the bill. I guess he is not weeping over the plight of these people.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:13 pm
When I saw this on the daily show my jaw dropped when I saw this:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-16-2010/worst-responders

Topped off by the interview with the four first responders that JPB posted.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:04 am
There may be action on this this week...

Quote:
WASHINGTON — New York's two senators said Monday that the votes are there for Congress to approve a scaled-back bill providing extra benefits to emergency workers who responded to the attacks on the World Trade Center.

But one of them, Charles Schumer, expressed concern that opponents might use a filibuster to kill the bill as Congress tries to complete its business for the year this week.

"If no one does undue delay — just stands up and delays and delays and delays — we will get this done," the New York Democrat said on ABC's "Good Morning America." "And that's my plea to my colleagues in both the House and Senate, please don't delay this bill. Let it come to a vote and we will win."

Republicans have raised concerns about the bill's cost and how to pay for it.

Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, also a Democrat, said they'd picked up support by trimming the bill's price tag from $7.4 billion to $6.2 billion in response to Republican concerns. The House and Senate would both need to approve the bill before lawmakers adjourn for the year, or supporters will have to start anew in the next year's Congress, when the GOP will control the House and have greater strength in the Senate. Source
JTT

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 01:45 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Republicans have raised concerns about the bill's cost and how to pay for it.

Simple, scrap the armed forces and then there would never have been a need for any first responders. Or maybe delay building one aircraft carrier, or shut down a portion of the USA's production of WMDs. Hell there are a million ways to pay for this.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 12:40 pm
Quote:
Deal reached on 9/11 health bill

From NBC's Kelly O'Donnell and Carrie Dann
A deal has been reached to pave the way for Senate passage of a health bill to aid 9/11 first responders, according to a source close to the negotiations.

Some GOP senators, led by Tom Coburn, R-Okla., had been blocking quick passage of the bill over objections about its cost and the process by which the legislation passed through Congress.

But after negotiations led by New York Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, the impasse appears to have been broken, possibly setting up the last legislative action of the 111th Congress this afternoon.

It's now expected that no objections will be raised that could slow down or kill passage.

The bill must be approved by the House (which has remained in session in hopes of the chance to approve the measure) before going to the president for signing.

** UPDATE ** House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said on MSNBC that he has spoken to Schumer about the deal. "I'm told, yes, there is an agreement," he said. Source
JPB

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:49 pm
@JPB,
First Responders bill passed with unanimous consent.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:51 pm
Kudos to Jon Stewart and Shepard Smith for getting it done.

Quote:
Last week Jon Stewart devoted every episode of the Daily Show to putting a spotlight on the 9-11 responders bill. The bill, officially called the James Zadroga Health and Compensation Act, helps to provide medical coverage to the first responders to the 9-11 terror attacks. Many of the workers inhaled toxic dust which resulted in debilitating diseases. When the same workers lost their jobs they also lost their health insurance. Even those covered by a policy often find themselves excluded by insurance company rules. The bill has over 50 votes for final passage in the Senate, but it has been held up by Republican filibuster there. In his segments last week Stewart challenged the media to put more attention on the issue and the Republicans who are holding up the bill. This week, Shepherd Smith of Fox News has taken the torch from Stewart on the issue.

Over the past few days Smith has been challenging Republicans to explain their opposition to what is relatively popular bill. When Smith could not find a Republican senator to come on his show he publicly named every Senator who said "no" to his interview request and then named those who simply ignored the interview request.

Smith has also challenged the Republican rationale for filibustering the bill. At first Republicans said that the tax deal had to be passed before they would allow a vote on the 9-11 bill. As objectionable as it may seem to hold 9-11 workers hostage to tax cuts for the rich, the Congress relented to the demands of the GOP and passed an extension of tax cuts for the rich. Then the Republicans objected to the method of paying for the $7.4 billion bill by closing a corporate tax loophole. Democrats subsequently lowered the cost of the bill to $6.2 billion and changed the way it was paid for. Still Republicans said they would filibuster the bill. Now Republicans have essentially claimed more debate is needed on the bill. As Smith noted, the previous Republican filibuster actually kept the bill from being debated, and hearings have been held on the bill.

Smith's devotion has gone so far that even Rachel Maddow is praising him for his actions. As Maddow explains in the video segment to the left, she is unlikely to influence Republicans with her show but Shepherd Smith could have an effect from his Fox News platform. Source
JTT

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 02:40 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Many of the workers inhaled toxic dust which resulted in debilitating diseases.

Bloody malingerers all! I remember the Bush administration telling us how that air was as clean and pure as that in the highest reaches of the Rocky Mountains.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 03:51 pm
@JTT,
Coors
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 03:54 pm
@JPB,
Let's not forget the 22 minute sympathetic piece on Al Jazeera.