you don't end up somewhere in Ohio

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:05 am
Maybe we can even tip it back a little to a less complicated world where If you call your broker or your bank, you don't end up somewhere in Ohio.

What does "you don't end up somewhere in Ohio" mean here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 977 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:10 am
To end up somewhere means to find oneself, unexpectedly, in a place in which one did not think to arrive. In this context it means that one might call one's banker or one's broker, who is located in New York, but instead find that one has been connected to a call center somewhere else, such as Ohio.
PennyChan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:21 am
@Setanta,
Does it want to imply that the banking system in US is so complicated?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:34 am
No, it is more a comment on customer service, whether in banking, investment or any other commercial enterprise. The sentences relies upon a knowledge of how customer service works (or fails to work) in the United States. If you have a banking problem, or a problem with your new microwave oven, or a problem with the accounting software you bought for your business, the first step you are likely to take is to call the customer service telephone number provided by the bank or the vendor. Very often in the last 20 years or so, your call doesn't go to the bank you use, or the home office of the company from which you bought the microwave oven or the software--it goes to a call center. That's an anonymous place in an unknown location where people are hired at a low wage to answer customer service calls. It has become a theme of modern life in America that customer service call centers can't provide much help, because the low-wage employees don't really know anything about the goods or services provided by the company which employs them, and are just reading from a script which has been provided to them. The most classic example of this is when a great many call centers were set up in India. Wages are much lower in India than in the United States, and most decently educated Indians already speak English. So a company could set up a call center in India, pay lower wages and still get a better educated employee than in the United States. Nevertheless, Indians speak English with a recognizable accent. It was very frustrating to customers to call for customer service, and to find that they were speaking to someone who they could immediately identify as a foreigner, and to know that they were not actually speaking to ayone at the head office of the company they were calling, or even located in the United States. People didn't like it. So, a lot of companies moved their call centers back to the United States. But it didn't really solve the underlying problem that you were not likely to get much service when you called customer service.

The author of this sentence is obviously writing a promotional piece claiming that a better ccustomer service is possible, and that whatever company he or she is writing about will provide that better customer service. They just randomly chose Ohio, and Americans reading this will know that they are talking about the hated call centers without needing to have it spelled out for them. It's not necessarily about banking--it could refer to any product or service you buy.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:59 am
@PennyChan,
PennyChan wrote:

Maybe we can even tip it back a little to a less complicated world where If you call your broker or your bank, you don't end up somewhere in Ohio.

What does "you don't end up somewhere in Ohio" mean here?
Setanta is out of it again...

Ohio is contrasted with a complicated world, as actually the extreme of less complicated... Tipping it back is the alternative to pushing it forward, turning it up a notch, living an immediate, wired, sort of existence.... It is a way of saying moderation, semi retirement, or retirement without getting too far from the scene of the crime.... Even from the perspective of Michigan, Ohio seems a backwoods without the woods, as a land of hillbillies and bubbas whose idea of chrome is duct tape, and whose samsonite is a plastic garbage bag... Setanta probably lives there..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:07 am
I have lived in Ohio, which is how i know that it is just as technologically and socially sophisticated as any other state in the United States. You can believe whom you like, Miss Chan, but you should be aware that this clown Fido bears me a grudge, he has an ax to grind.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
this clown Fido bears me a grudge, he has an ax to grind.

New readers or those who are unfamiliar with Fido should note that he is, in the opinion of many, a mischievous, time wasting troll who sabotages threads by posting nonsensical replies. His answers should be accorded no significance.
Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:03 am
@contrex,
I know i shouldn't let it bother me, but i tend to get greatly irritated at stupid posts offered in an ESL thread. Often, the person asking the question will lack the linguistic sophistication to understand that his or her thread has been visited by a troll. Fortunately, Miss Chan's English is very good, so i suspect she'll understand.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
but you should be aware that this clown Fido bears me a grudge, he has an ax to grind.

Says Setanta, the hypocrite, who bears at least as big a grudge as Fido.

But it's interesting how, in this case, from one sentence, Setanta is all of a sudden sure that he knows what this is exactly about. A week or so ago, he was tearing a strip off first one then another EFL for not providing enough context.
Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 03:35 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Setanta wrote:
this clown Fido bears me a grudge, he has an ax to grind.

New readers or those who are unfamiliar with Fido should note that he is, in the opinion of many, a mischievous, time wasting troll who sabotages threads by posting nonsensical replies. His answers should be accorded no significance.

Actually, I have several axes to grind, just to give you and idea of how rustic I am... And Setanta is still an idiot who does not know how to read sentences or paragraphs... Like you, he thinks if he does not understand it, IT must be meaningless... Read a book... I have read plenty and gotten something out of almost every one.. Thanks..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 03:41 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
but you should be aware that this clown Fido bears me a grudge, he has an ax to grind.

Says Setanta, the hypocrite, who bears at least as big a grudge as Fido.

But it's interesting how, in this case, from one sentence, Setanta is all of a sudden sure that he knows what this is exactly about. A week or so ago, he was tearing a strip off first one then another EFL for not providing enough context.
Clearly, you know the man; but, I too would have liked more context from the sentence... Setanta seems to know enough of some subjects, but I have to wonder how since he struggles so with the written word... Since my hearing is terrible, and my mental processing of what I hear is so terribly slow, reading accounts for the vast majority of what I know... It is no wonder Setanta misunderstands me... Misunderstanding is what he is good at...
0 Replies

Io

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 11:43 pm
why do we make such a fuss.... Disagreements are common, especially about such a ambiguous sentence, maybe you need a little bit more about the context:

If we can all hang from the pendulum while it's at its mid-point, pehaps we can slow down its inevitable movement. Maybe we can even tip it back a little to a less complicated world wher you can interact with a real person on telephone, where, if you call your broker or bank, you don't end up somewhere in Ohio, where children are allowed to dress up on Halloween without it being viewed as offensive to some minority group, where landowners have rights, where self-confessed killers are not set free because somebody forget to read them their rights, wher if you smoke yourself to death you cannot blame it on the manufacturer, where you can stop at the scene of an accident to help a victim without being sued, where our tolerance level for violence is dramatically lessened, where some of American's finest feel free to run for political office, and where integrity, morality, manners, decency and un-financilly motivated acts of kindness are integral to our ethos.

so could anyone tell me what it means now? thx a lot!
Fido

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:45 am
@Io ,
Io wrote:

why do we make such a fuss.... Disagreements are common, especially about such a ambiguous sentence, maybe you need a little bit more about the context:

If we can all hang from the pendulum while it's at its mid-point, pehaps we can slow down its inevitable movement. Maybe we can even tip it back a little to a less complicated world wher you can interact with a real person on telephone, where, if you call your broker or bank, you don't end up somewhere in Ohio, where children are allowed to dress up on Halloween without it being viewed as offensive to some minority group, where landowners have rights, where self-confessed killers are not set free because somebody forget to read them their rights, wher if you smoke yourself to death you cannot blame it on the manufacturer, where you can stop at the scene of an accident to help a victim without being sued, where our tolerance level for violence is dramatically lessened, where some of American's finest feel free to run for political office, and where integrity, morality, manners, decency and un-financilly motivated acts of kindness are integral to our ethos.

so could anyone tell me what it means now? thx a lot!
Well, you added more information, even in that sentence; but the general notion is of nostalgia which is a disease I suffer horribly from, and is likely to be fatal...

When today does not work for people, and does not satisfy their needs or the needs of those around them, they know they are not happy... If they are not demoralized, they look to the future, are hopeful and strong in regard to the present, and look for ways to work themselves through adversity... If not, they look with wistful longing at days past, and remember in vain their happy days...

The problem is that only dead people live in the past, and if the past is to be had in any part it must be captured and carried into the future...There is never a revolution that does not attempt to recreate the past in the future... The Round Heads wanted the old Constitution, and so did the Americans... The Russians had a memory of ancient communism, and the French had an idea of a romantic Noble Savage, and Nature Untamed... There is certainly enough of desire in people to return to past ways... The problem is to find a realistic method of selling people on change in the present to accomplish their goals, since they so fear change; for what has change ever brought them but pain???

All social forms are about stopping change, and this is what people do after they have accomplished change to a point the are happy with life- through the use of forms and institutions... But under the force of will, even these forms change so they serve no good purpose, not the original purpose, nor a hypothetical good purpose; but only an individual purpose...

All old forms degrade, and what is the writer refering to: Economy, Religion, and Government.... As these forms fail us we seek older forms still doing all we can to resist forward progress... Sooner or later, out of sheer desparation, forward progress is all that will save us from total destruction...

The Romans and Greeks failed because they could not change their forms... They could not return to older forms in a new fashion, and so were left divided before their enemies... That is us, and what is the sense of the paragraph, of the threat of time, that time is running out, as it is, but also of the inability to say: Time is On MY Side... We need to push this country into a new day and leave the past behind...What do we value enough to carry with us beyond that barrior???
0 Replies