11
   

now what mexican drones in your backyard??????

 
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm no stick in the mud, so keep the petty remarks to yourself. I'm also not foolish enough to believe that your ideosyncratic spellings will come to dominate English usage anytime soon. If anything serves to change English orthography, it will be the influence of technological change. I know of only one person who has ever willfully changed English orthography, and that was Noah Webster. Even Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., despite his personal prestige and his position as President, failed miserably in a well-meaning effort to change spelling. You may amuse yourself, but i suggest that you not delude yourself about playing an important personal role in influencing this matter.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Perhaps you are thinking of the Mexican character played by Mel Blanc on the Jack Benny Show?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I'm no stick in the mud, so keep the petty remarks to yourself.
That was a JOKE; humor based on irony.
I thawt that the irony woud be obvious enuf
as to not go over your head.
It is playing off of your linguistic conservatism
as distinct from political conservatism, which u have rejected.




Setanta wrote:
I'm also not foolish enough to believe that your ideosyncratic spellings will come to dominate English usage anytime soon.
Define "soon". I am cheered by the texting of young people.
I have a hunch that the young will have an effect upon the future.






Setanta wrote:
If anything serves to change English orthography, it will be the influence of technological change.
YES; very clearly, among other things.




Setanta wrote:
I know of only one person who has ever willfully changed English orthography, and that was Noah Webster.
Even Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., despite his personal prestige and his position as President, failed miserably in a well-meaning effort to change spelling.
That is sad, but true.
He tried; he failed, but there was less texting among the youth then.






Setanta wrote:
You may amuse yourself, but i suggest that you not delude yourself about playing an important personal role in influencing this matter.
It is obvious to everyone that my role in spelling will be trivial or less than trivial.
Maybe if I wrote for a newspaper. . .

Man will drop the useless burden of atavistic non-fonetic words
and will do so the same as if I 'd never lived, but in fora to which I post
I try to serve as a good example of easier ways to write.





David
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You may also assure yourself that nothing you write is ever over my head.
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 02:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of the Mexican character played by Mel Blanc on the Jack Benny Show?


Jose Jimenez was a character created by comedian Bill Dana in the early 60's. I never thought he was very funny, but I was just a kid. I seem to recall though that he spoke (albeit english) in a monotone.

http://www.cheezeball.net/AlbumCovers/JoseJimenez.jpg

Speedy Gonzales, "The Fastest Mouse in all Mexico" was a Warner Bros cartoon character back in the 50's and 60's. Speedy was dressed like a Mexican peon as were his friends who were often depicted as lazy, slow witted and often drunks. They all spoke (albeint english) in monotones. Since Mel Blanc was the voice of just about every Warner Bros cartoon character, he must have been the voice of Speedy's friends.

Needless to say Jose and Speedy & Friends would, by today's standards, be considered racially insensitive, and they were.

http://spd.fotolog.com/photo/13/12/7/codigoska_69/1214186205863_f.jpg
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 02:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You may also assure yourself that nothing you write is ever over my head.
THAT's a relief.
From your response, I 'd thawt that I hurt your feelings.
I"m glad that did not happen.





David
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't meant to insist that native spanish speakers never talk in monotone as is his or her routine, just that I haven't ever heard that.. I did imply that the little I speak in spanish is lame, for reasons including my own particular monotone, not to mention vocabulary and grammar. My italian is slightly more dulcet, but not much. But, wait, I'm even monotone in english.

Ok, wake up, class.
dadpad
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

roger wrote:

Now that you mention it, I have never heard a Spanish speaker talk in a monotone.


Didn't Jose Jimenez or one of Speedy Gonzalez's peon mouse friend speak in a monotone?

confirming the impression of speedy's mouse friend speaking in a momotone.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I don't meant to insist that native spanish speakers never talk in monotone as is his or her routine, just that I haven't ever heard that.. I did imply that the little I speak in spanish is lame, for reasons including my own particular monotone, not to mention vocabulary and grammar. My italian is slightly more dulcet, but not much. But, wait, I'm even monotone in english.

Ok, wake up, class.


I didn't think you did.

My wife's family is Puerto Rican and so I know a lot of spanish speakers, for many of whom spanish was their first language, and I have to agree that I never heard one speak with a monotone.

It caused me to think about the subject and all I could come up with, in the relatively short period of time I felt the subject warranted, was Jose and Speedy's friends.

I do note that none of them actually spoke spanish so I'm back at square one as far as spanish speakers.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:25 pm
Ok, fizz, she drones.
0 Replies
 
JTT
 
  1  
Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:20 am
@roger,
The kids get and appreciate the playfulness in such combinations, Roger. Dumb adults don't.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Oddities and Humor - Discussion by edgarblythe
Let's play "Caption the Photo" II - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Funny Pictures ***Slow Loading*** - Discussion by JerryR
Caption The Cartoon - Discussion by panzade
Geek and Nerd Humor - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Caption The Cartoon Part Deux - Discussion by panzade
IS IT OK FOR ME TO CHEAT? - Question by Setanta
2008 Election: Political Humor - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/13/2020 at 09:21:08