"numbers-challenged"?

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:39 am
Aside from all the legitimate reasons, math was one hurdle that stopped me short of my prize each time. Somewhere along life's path, my brain had computed me "numbers-challenged."

I'm not sure about the meaning of the last sentence. Does it mean that I'm not good at dealing with numbers in my whole life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 819 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:53 am
Yes. That's what it means. The person isn't good at math.
0 Replies

tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:57 am
@PennyChan,
Yes. The person writing this sentence acknowledged the realization the fact that math has been a difficult challenge.

A better way to write this sentence:
Somewhere along life's path, my brain had computed to me that I was "numbers-challenged."
AlwaysCurious

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:59 am
@PennyChan,
Hmmm, I seem to be reading my own meanings into people's questions. Hopefully am at least somewhere within the ballpark. With that in mind - if you are asking if math, something you do not excel at, is your stumbling block in life denying you some sought after prize each time you try? Not necessarily. A valedictorian and graduate from a prestigious University goes on to earn $200k/year; some "shmoe" invents the "pet rock" and becomes millionaire - go figure.

In life the obstacles you rationale as being your obstacles will indeed become your impediments on any road to success. Edison is said to have quipped about finding 999 ways of how the light bulb would not work, the 1000th try lead to a working version. In life, failing "500 times" is not a sign of failure, giving up at "try #501", however, is. Your obstacles in life are often the ones to which you give substance.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 06:01 am
@AlwaysCurious,
Rationale is a noun, not a verb--next time, try using rationalize. This member is asking a simple question of English as a second language. Your pseudo-philosophical bullshit no help at all.
AlwaysCurious

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 06:41 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for the tip, failed to notice the forum - thought I was in philosophy, and, sorry my BS stunk up the place, will learn not to try to help next time. I kinda have the philosophy - better to contribute positive comment, than criticize ridicule and nitpick; and so, did just that - offered something I though was useful, albeit as stated didn't notice the forums listed at the top NOT being philosophy. Sorry again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 06:45 am
Now there's some passive-aggressive bullshit . . . you're just full of it, ain't ya?
AlwaysCurious

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:08 am
@Setanta,
if that compound term is a synonym for sarcasm, yeah, though wouldn't say it accounts for the bulk of my being. And, this being my last reply in this thread (will of course read your reply if any, just won't wallow in "mud" after my morning shower, so to speak) - hostility and bitterness, no matter how well justified, aren't worth it in the long run. Take care, best of luck (offered sincerely, no sarcasm or BS intended)
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:17 am
@AlwaysCurious,
Take it outside this thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:21 am
I'm not bitter, there's nothing to be bitter about--but i certainly am hostile toward pretentious fools who trash ESL threads.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:11 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm not bitter, there's nothing to be bitter about--but i certainly am hostile toward pretentious fools who trash ESL threads.

Once again, the hypocrisy flows from Setanta like a flash flood down an arroyo.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Somewhere along life's path, my brain had computed me "numbers-challenged."

Quote:
tsarstepan replied: A better way to write this sentence:
Somewhere along life's path, my brain had computed to me that I was "numbers-challenged."

Why is that a better way to write the sentence, Tsarstepen?

You've changed the original author's meaning. The brain did not "compute to the person".

I'm not even sure that that would be idiomatic -->

I computed to him the following

Sounds a little odd to me, though possible I think in the right context.

The author may have wanted to say that the brain had realized this but that message was not yet conveyed to the conscious.

Somewhere along life's path, my brain had computed that I was "numbers-challenged".

0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
A better way to write this sentence:

if that's the selected answer, on the basis of a better way to write this sentence, i'd like to check the minor placings
0 Replies