morose note & catch

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 04:05 am
It was on that morose note that I spotted the news story. "Hey, Lee,"I called to my husband from the kitchen table. "Look at this. Senior citizens can go to university of South Carolina Upstate tuition-free." I shook my head. "There's got to be a catch here somewhere."

Two qusetions:
1.What does "on that morose note "mean in the sentence?
2. What does "catch"mean in the sentence? A good target or something else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:10 am
Well, you need to look up the word "morose." There is insufficient context to know what the morose note was, however. There is an expression, " _______ note," in which a word is added to note to create a phrase meaning "as a result of," or "after which." Let me give you some examples: "Jack was very angry, and began yelling at the employees. On that intimidating note, everyone became very quiet." In that example, Jack's anger and yelling is described as an intimidating (frightening) note, and as a result, all of the employees became very quiet. Here's another example: "Everyone had a good laugh at the bully's embarrassment, and on that happy note, we all went out for dinner." In that example, somebody was being a bully, but someone else embarrassed them, and everyone laughed. Immediately after that ("on that happy note") everyone went out to eat dinner.

So, the expression "on that morose note" in this case means "after which." Someone said or wrote something morose, and immediately after that, the author spotted the news story which is the subject of the rest of the passage. It seems to me to be a rather clumsy usage, though.

In this case, a catch means an unexpected event or condition. Specifically, the author suspects that the claim that senior citizens can attend the university tuition-free is not entirely true. In saying that there must be a catch, the author suggests that although the senior citizens may not have to pay tuition, there may be a hidden cost, or a hidden circumstance which makes the offer less attratctive than it seems on the face of it.
Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:23 am
@PennyChan,
Morose notes than thorn sounds catchy.
0 Replies

PennyChan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:34 am
@Setanta,
Thanks!
0 Replies