No idea....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:33 pm
@dyslexia,
From the Mayo Clinic Website:

Quote:
Definition:
You hurt all over, and you frequently feel exhausted. Even after numerous tests, your doctor can't find anything specifically wrong with you. If this sounds familiar, you may have fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points — places on your body where slight pressure causes pain.

Fibromyalgia occurs in about 2 percent of the population in the United States. Women are much more likely to develop the disorder than are men, and the risk of fibromyalgia increases with age. Fibromyalgia symptoms often begin after a physical or emotional trauma, but in many cases there appears to be no triggering event.

Quote:
Symptoms and Co-Existing Conditions:
Signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary, depending on the weather, stress, physical activity or even the time of day.

Widespread pain and tender points
The pain associated with fibromyalgia is described as a constant dull ache, typically arising from muscles. To be considered widespread, the pain must occur on both sides of your body and above and below your waist.

Fibromyalgia is characterized by additional pain when firm pressure is applied to specific areas of your body, called tender points. Tender point locations include:

* Back of the head
* Between shoulder blades
* Top of shoulders
* Front sides of neck
* Upper chest
* Outer elbows
* Upper hips
* Sides of hips
* Inner knees

Fatigue and sleep disturbances
People with fibromyalgia often awaken tired, even though they seem to get plenty of sleep. Experts believe that these people rarely reach the deep restorative stage of sleep. Sleep disorders that have been linked to fibromyalgia include restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea.

Co-existing conditions
Many people who have fibromyalgia also may have:

* Chronic fatigue syndrome
* Depression
* Endometriosis
* Headaches
* Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
* Lupus
* Osteoarthritis
* Post-traumatic stress disorder
* Restless legs syndrome
* Rheumatoid arthritis

Quote:
Why does it hurt?
Current thinking centers around a theory called central sensitization. This theory states that people with fibromyalgia have a lower threshold for pain because of increased sensitivity in the brain to pain signals.

Researchers believe repeated nerve stimulation causes the brains of people with fibromyalgia to change. This change involves an abnormal increase in levels of certain chemicals in the brain that signal pain (neurotransmitters). In addition, the brain's pain receptors seem to develop a sort of memory of the pain and become more sensitive, meaning they can overreact to pain signals.
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:27 pm
@dyslexia,
Curious about why you ask
dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:28 pm
@dlowan,
curious.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:28 pm
I shouldn't have read those symptoms. Now I have another disease to worry about. Sigh.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:37 pm
@littlek,
I used to drive hundreds of miles without discomfort, but since I started running I can hardly drive twenty miles without a sharp pain in my butt and back of my thighs... I have to drive some one to Chicago day after tomorrow. Joy.
roger

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:51 pm
@Fido,
Maybe you have become so muscular there is just no padding? Doubtful, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it?
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 12:18 am
@Roberta,
You shouldn't read ANY symptoms!!!

Enough you have already!
Roberta

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 02:15 am
@dlowan,
You're right, Deb. Remember this thread?

http://able2know.org/topic/91174-1
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:05 am
@Roberta,
I remember.

Of course now we shall become a mecca for fibromyalgia sufferers.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:22 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Maybe you have become so muscular there is just no padding? Doubtful, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it?

I have shed a lot of fat, but have not grown a lot more muscle on my thighs... My hamstrings are often tight and require a lot of stretching... That reminds me... I am late for a run. bye.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 08:30 am
Dys - one word: massages.
(plus a day at the beach)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 08:34 am
@dyslexia,
It gets a lot of flack as an imaginary disease but I believe it exists. One of my employees had it and I watched her go from hale and hearty to a wheelchair-bound shadow of her former self. (Before she had to quit because she couldn't work anymore.)

I was just learning how to drive when she worked for me and I drove her around a lot and to this day I brake verrrrryyyyy slowly and smoothly because abrupt braking was agonizing for her.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:44 pm
@dyslexia,
It's about creating a diagnosis for people who want to feel miserable and whose bodies psychosomatically oblige.
sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, that's what I meant about flack. This person most emphatically did not want to feel miserable.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 01:34 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant about flack. This person most emphatically did not want to feel miserable.

Not conciously I'm sure.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 01:49 am
@sozobe,
I was iffy on that and iffy on chronic fatigue syndrome. The one person I knew with cfs was before that time a major go getter, so I doubt she suddenly went into major slack (she was a client) and so believe her experience.

But I know even less about fibromyalgia.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 10:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, that's too easy.

She has cancer? She wanted it, if only unconsciously.

This was a young (mid-20's), moderately ambitious, talented, friendly, straightforward, low-drama person. She hated the inconvenience her increasing disability posed to others almost as much as the disease itself.

It's possible that it was something other than fibromyalgia, but that was the diagnosis. I'm quite confident that it was something that happened to her rather than something conjured out of her subconscious desires.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
@sozobe,
I'm not sure what it is, but it's definitely something.

It's like the folks with Crohn's, which has a huge psychological impact/component. Hard to understand the connection, but it's clearly visible if you've had a number of clients with the Crohn's dx.

I'd like them to pursue the research much more, as it is clear that many observers think it's "all in their heads". Well, knee bone's connected to the ... etc etc. Mind/body connection and all that.

They could well end up physically and emotionally buggered up, but it does seem to be some disease process that starts it off.
0 Replies