How do you deal with snarky comments about your kids?

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 05:18 pm
@sozobe,
Teachers and school counselors (at least in GA and CA) have other duties around the school. It takes about three or four staff to help children get safely from cars to the sidewalk...and back in at the end of the day.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:40 am
@Green Witch,
Haha -
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:45 am
@sozobe,
And what the h*ll is wrong with having your glasses match your outfit - especially for a cute little girl.? I'd think it was adoreable.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:52 am
@Butrflynet,
Yes - they do this for the pre-schoolers in my daughters' school.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:26 pm
@Lash,
Gotcha.

We'd just park and walk the kids to their classroom in kindergarten and first grade, so this isn't something I'm familiar with, though it makes sense. In kindergarten we had a similar-ish situation when school ended, as we'd all gather in a group and kids would be released to parents. ("A-ha, there's your mom... bye!") But then we'd still grab 'em and walk to the car. In first grade we'd just wait by the door (held open by teachers) and wait for our kids to come out on their own. There is a small parking lot but people would park on nearby side streets and such. (Large parking lot for preschool, that was more straightforward.)
roger

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:35 pm
@sozobe,
I'll tell you something that strikes me as being odd. I live across the street from a middle school. They detail a teacher to get the kids safely into the right car. What the heck is this all about? Some of those kids are bigger than I. Most of them just walk home like you would expect.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:42 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And what the h*ll is wrong with having your glasses match your outfit - especially for a cute little girl.? I'd think it was adoreable.

And just a few pair make a huge difference.

One pink, one blue, one red, one purple. Then there's almost always a pair to match.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:40 pm
@DrewDad,
I bought my daughter matching pink and white batting gloves and a glove with a little pink sewing. She can play ball and still be cute and girly.

My other daughter wears a ribbon with basketballs on it when she plays basketball.

So there!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:44 pm
@roger,
Maybe those kids have special needs of some sort? Our kids are pretty freerange starting in third grade, but a kid who has Down Syndrome was always ushered out by a teacher's aide type to make sure he connected with his mom. (But really that was just in third grade, now [fourth grade] he comes out on his own and is met by his mom.)
JPB

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:48 pm
@sozobe,
Good point. I didn't think of that, but it's also possible that some parents have requested the school provide security to ensure the kids aren't grabbed by evil no-gooders. Or, even more likely, that someone on the school board is paranoid that some kid will get snatched from school property and they've funded a staff person to oversee the pick up time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:53 pm
@sozobe,
Free range - reminds me of chicken...
0 Replies

Scatologist

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:14 pm
I have and would have told that person to go perform some unnatural act. Need to punch a bully in the nose. I love my kids and snarky remarks are a reason to declare verbal war.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 12:11 am
Drew Dad! Did you encounter the mean door opener? Love to hear.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:04 pm
@Lash,
So...

T was waiting for Yaya to get out of school, when one of the other parents knocks on her window. This person had independently approached T in the past about Yaya's matching glasses, and how one pair should be enough. Rolling Eyes

She asks T, "how long does it take to get glasses from that website?" When told it can take two weeks, she says, "oh no! [My little girl] lost her glasses, and has been without for a week already! I guess I see the sense in having multiple pairs, now."

Then she looks at the Whump and says, "what a fat baby!"
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:24 pm
@DrewDad,
What a fat baby, but cute face anyway.
0 Replies