How do you deal with snarky comments about your kids?

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 08:07 am
@Izzie,
I've worn monkey socks all my life;
http://www.catalogs.com/coolpicks/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sock-monkey.jpg
http://www.mcguckin.com/images/2090105_1.JPG
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:21 am
@DrewDad,
If Yaya could possibly take this as a negative, respond in a conversational way that reveals your opinion of her opinion:

"Thank you! She is all girl...and it makes her a thrill for us!"

or

"Hardly! She's got so many varied interests, she's impossible to put into a little category."

or

(with very interested expression of a parent wanting to understand an opinion of his child) "Exactly what do you mean?"

I guess it's no surprise, but those who have made mean-spirited comments about my children have reaped the whirlwind. I don't give a **** if it hairlips the entire PTA.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:24 am
@engineer,
I think you're right re motivation; yet, a family doesn't have to allow her to get away with it...if and when it crosses a line. I would have let the candy-wrapper thing go - but not comments about my kids.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:24 am
@Izzie,
Totally agree with Izzie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:28 am
@aidan,
I think it's weird to have an opinion at all about a preschool kid's parents ability to afford her several pairs of glasses. It seems to point to an undue, inappropriate preoccupation with students' financial status in the teacher/counselor.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:30 am
@aidan,
We are allowed to be QUITE direct in Georgia, as well. Giving voice to your opinion wasn't your failing - it was your intrinsic, snarky opinion that you harbor against well-heeled students.
0 Replies

dogdog

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:35 am
I've only skimmed the last couple of pages, so if this is a repeat I apologize. I agree this is a teachable moment. If I were a school administrator I would want to know if an employee of a school was acting like a bully and making critical remarks about or to children. I would report these incidents. This is not just about one child.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 12:19 pm
@dogdog,
I agree. If this woman is saying those things to the parents, what is she saying to the kids when the parents aren't around? It may be a "tempest in a teapot", but IMO this woman's behavior needs to be investigated by the administration.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:26 pm
After discussing this some, and reading the comments...

We think that maybe she's just a) socially awkward and b) desperate for a conversation starter. When you have to open 120 car doors everyday, you probably get a bit sick of "good morning, how're you doing today?"
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:28 pm
@DrewDad,
that's a safe starting point.

you can always decide she's a bitch later, if you get more nastiness...
DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, the plan now is for us to initiate the conversation, in order to redirect her.

Compliment her clothing, ask about the upcoming school events, etc.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Good plan
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 02:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Sure. Compliment her dowdy taste in glasses.

Just kiddin'.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:41 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah, that makes sense.

What's with the opening 120 car doors a day, though? I don't really get what her job is. (As in, any chance of just bypassing her?)
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:48 pm
@sozobe,
The school probably has someone doing that to improve the flow of traffic at the drop off point. Having someone open the door eliminates the time it takes for the driver to turn off the ignition, open the door, walk around the car, open the door, kiss the kid, walk back around the car, get in, buckle up, start car and drive off.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 04:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Exactly. There's barely any parking at the school, and it has two classes of each grade K-12. Kindergarten and 1st graders have a special drop-off, where the staff helps 'em in and out of the car.
sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 04:22 pm
@DrewDad,
A-ha! Thanks.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 04:26 pm
@DrewDad,
In Indiana, when I lived there, there was a pair of ladies that organized them (K, 1st grade) after school and waited with them to make sure that they got into the correct vehicles and stayed out of traffic. they were very nice and supportive.

You hadda be on the list.

I never did the drop off thing. too early...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 04:27 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeh, I was involved in a school drop off design (well, and the rest of the place) not so long ago, so I can see that. Interesting.

I think this woman doesn't have a monitor for inappropriate comment, not all her fault, most likely. It most seems like she says what she is thinking any given second. We at a2k can understand that. She might be bright, and may mean well. I may be changing my take, although I'm still thinking she is boundary leaping.

Don't you dare mention the inside of my car.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 05:17 pm
@DrewDad,
Very good idea.
0 Replies