Which is the best country to live in?

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:48 am
I know it's a bit general, and that most people are going to say their home countries. I live in England, and it used to be great, until recently when we openly welcome foreign people to stay here, which has seem to have made my area much worse. I am not being racist or anything, as I know that it is not the actual peoples fault. It is our government. Also I have been to America several times and think that certain places there would be great to live in, well certainly better than over here in England. I mean there is so much space in America, and the people there seem to be more polite than people in England who seem to be constantly angry or looking for some way to annoy or provoke someone else.

djjd62

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:59 am
@MatthewB7621,
Somalia
MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:00 am
@djjd62,
That's just about the worst country to live in haha. But thanks for your opinion.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:12 am
@MatthewB7621,
At the risk of sounding cliché, I'd say the best country to live in is where your heart is...
MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:15 am
@Francis,
Fair enough. And where would that be for you?
Francis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:25 am
@MatthewB7621,
Right now, in some English speaking country...

But in other times, it has been other countries...
MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:27 am
@Francis,
But not England haha, because it's crap, I live there.
Francis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:33 am
@MatthewB7621,
Is it crap because you live there?

I went quite a few times to England and didn't find it particularly crappy, compared to many other countries I went to...
MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:37 am
@Francis,
No it crap because our government made it crap. But yes it isn't crap compared to many, developing countries
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:12 am
@MatthewB7621,
You do realize that when you come to America, you are a "foreign person".

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:25 am
@maxdancona,
No - they'd treat him like a fairly close relative.
And they'd love his accent.
Here in England, people call me their 'American counsin' and say thing like, 'our American cousins' all the time.
It always makes me laugh - but it's nicer being considered a fairly close relative than a 'foreigner'.
0 Replies

MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:27 am
@maxdancona,
Yes but I am not moving to America am I? I have only been there on hoilday.
Francis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:28 am
@maxdancona,
But it didn't prevent me from feeling good there.

Publius Terentius: Nothing that is human is alien to me...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:37 am
This is a thread written by a foreigner who says that his government welcoming foreigners is a problem in his country and then contemplates what life would be like in another country.

The basic contradiction in this thread amuses me.

In my part of the U.S., the Boston area, we welcome foreigners, and we are better off for it.

MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:43 am
@maxdancona,
No I am not saying I would like to move to another country. And I am not a foreigner, I come from England, and I live in England. And I do not believe that my area has benefited from the huge numbers of foreign people moving here. How would you like it if all you saw in the area where you grew up was more and more foreign people moving in. All the shops change, they speak a different language which is intimidating.
aidan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:52 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah, but it's different in the US than in the UK.
If someone is a citizen of a country that belongs to the EU, and that's comprised of 27 European countries, they can receive the following benefits:

Benefits for non-UK nationals:
•Pension Credit
•Income Support
•income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
•Housing Benefit
•Council Tax Benefit
•Disability Living Allowance
•Attendance Allowance and Carers Allowance

That's a lot of benefits for someone who's a citizen of another country. I don't know how this government does what it does for its own citizens, much less everyone else.
The US certainly doesn't do that for any 'foreigners' living and working there.

And actually England doesn't do it for Americans living in England. I know I pay a hell of a lot of tax and on my visa it says, 'No access to public funds'.
Fair enough, in my opinon.

MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:55 am
@aidan,
Jobseekers allowance is a joke, there are plenty of jobs out there that people could be doing. It shouldn't be a matter of wether they want the jobs. They should be made to do it. I have 3 jobs and I am only 18. And yes you are right that foreigh people recieve far too much through coming to this country.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:57 am
@MatthewB7621,
Quote:
How would you like it if all you saw in the area where you grew up was more and more foreign people moving in. All the shops change, they speak a different language which is intimidating.

I said I was from Boston. I am guessing from this that you don't know very much about Boston (or about many similar American cities).

Every day on the bus I hear Spanish, Portuguese and Haitian Creole. It is not at all unusual to see people in head scarves in the grocery store or on the street.

This is great!

There is a nightclub I like to go to dance salsa where Spanish and English are spoken interchangeably. It is a mixed crowd where everyone has a great time. In Allston, there are incredible Brazilian and Colombian and Haitian restaurants. My kids have papusas and conch and all kinds of culinary delights that I didn't get growing up in a small town.

I have a friends who are Lebanese Muslims. There is large Armenian community nearby and there is a growing Indian community. I am particularly fond of Dosas.

I am sorry. I don't understand what your problem is.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:59 am
@aidan,
I can't speak intelligently about politics in the UK or policies in the EU.

I can say that I think it is ridiculous to be intimidated by people speaking different languages.
MatthewB7621

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:02 am
@maxdancona,
Why, if I am on a bus filled with asian people for example. And I have no idea what they are saying. Why should I not feel a little intimidated by them? I think you would in the same position.