Please help. It's for a class. Answer 1 or all of 4 questions.

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 12:42 pm
What, in your opinion, is the best type of government for a nation?
What is the best type of government for you individually?
What type of government is, in your opinion, best for politics?
If you could create your own form of government, what would it be like? Detail, please.

Thank you so much to anyone that is willing to help me! I really appreciate it! Smile

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 12:47 pm
department of redundancy department.
the best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:01 pm
Utopia
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:04 pm
@Ceili,
How do you mean?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:11 pm
@Carpedamnum,
Quote:

If you could create your own form of government, what would it be like? Detail, please.

Benevolent dictatorship, with myself as the proverbial Philosopher-King. I would rule over my subjects with a fair and steady hand, deciding economic priorities in the morning and settling disputes and petitions brought forth by my peoples in the afternoon, after a light lunch of quail eggs and Gruyere cheese with a nice glass of Riesling to finish it off.

Future kings would be chosen through a tremendously complex and potentially lethal version of the Olympics; only those with the ability to excel in tests of strength, intelligence and morality will make it to the final Battle Royal, held every four years. One winner from each Battle Royale would then be added to the list of 'Nobility/Philosophers minor,' and upon my death or abdication of the Eternal Throne, they would then enter a round-robin style elimination round to choose the next King.

Cycloptichorn
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks! That's almost exactly what I needed for that question!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:20 pm
@Carpedamnum,
Carpedamnum wrote:

see answer four
see answer four
see answer four
If you could create your own form of government, what would it be like?
an anarcho-syndicalist commune. Were folks take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting. By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more.......uh, what was the question again
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:25 pm
@djjd62,
Actually, that's even better! Please, if you have the time, continue on that last one, I really like the detail and where it's heading! I love having as much detail as possible!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:34 pm
Always nice doing people's homework for them. That way, we make sure they actually learn something...
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:35 pm
@Cyracuz,
Haha the homework is to get people to answer the questions and find the common factors in those answers.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:38 pm
@Carpedamnum,
Carpedamnum wrote:

Haha the homework is to get people to answer the questions and find the common factors in those answers.

I think the common factor here is that people aren't really taking the question seriously.

Cycloptichorn
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I noticed... Any suggestions as to how make them do so?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:41 pm
@Carpedamnum,
Carpedamnum wrote:

I noticed... Any suggestions as to how make them do so?

It's a difficult thing to do. We're pretty conditioned here against helping people with their homework, because 99% of the time it's just kids who want others to do their work or thinking for them.

If the goal of the enterprise is to get responses which you are then comparing for an overall answer which YOU generate, make that clear in the opening post- that way people won't be confused.

Good luck!

Cycloptichorn
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks! I'll try that out!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:22 pm
@Carpedamnum,
Oh, in that case, I don't mind sharing a few thoughts.

I think it was Gandhi who said something like: "The state is goverened the best that is governed the least".

In my opinion, the best government is one founded upon and run according to principles of morality and humanism. (There are many governments that claim to work like this today, but they are merely making the best of the situation, following morality and humanism only when capitalistic interests allow for it.)

The best government for me is one that understands that a government isn't ment to rule, but to administrate.

The government that would be best for politics would be one that didn't require politicians.

If I could create my own government I would gather the leading experts in all fields of science and technological development, the highest spiritual authorities (among humans), the best economists... In short, I would gather people who had actual, relevant expertise and seek their council in forming a system of government. Because politicians don't solve probems. Technology does, and the best way to use it to the benefit of everyone isn't best determined by politicians, but by the technicians that developed it, the economists that know how to build economies, and the spiritual leaders of our world.
And I put it as a fundamental requirement for this system that it should not inspire people to act with selfish interests (as is the case today), but rather create a society where the greatest rewards could be gained through selfless acts.
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:29 pm
@Cyracuz,
I wish I could thumb that up so much more than just once. That's a fantastic answer! The detail is just what I needed! Thank you so much!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:34 pm
@Carpedamnum,
Carpedamnum wrote:

Democratic republic--genuine democracies tend to avoid the upheavals attendant upon arbitrary government. A republic is a government of laws, as opposed to personal or class authority. So long as everyone involved makes certain that no one is above the law, this will be, in my never humble opinion, the most effective government.

Quote:

Full autocracy--and by the time i have the reins of power, it will be too late to find out if i will be benevolent.

Quote:

Democratic republic--it's the only system which will consistently lend itself both to negotiation between interests and the introduction of political "new blood." Politicians are a necessary evil. One wants a system which allows for frequent and significant turn-over of politicians so that they at least are obliged to appear to serve the interests of their constituents. Of course, politicians actually only ever serve their own interests.

Quote:
If you could create your own form of government, what would it be like?

Silly question--full autocracy, as described above.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:48 pm
A thought came to mind. A huge problem in democracies today seems to be getting people to care. Not simply just getting them to vote, but to take an interest in what they are actually voting about.
I would make it a criminal offense to not do your duty in a democracy.
It's not such an absurd thought, considering that it is already a criminal offense to not pay your taxes, or to cheat with it.
So we all have to fill out our annual reports of our economic activity, so that the government can be sure they got what they were supposed to get from you.
I'd get some internet geeks to create a web interface which allowed people to have a much more active role in shaping politics. Votes could be gathered almost on a case by case basis, and people could take an active interest in the issues that were important to them, rather than having to chose the political party that is merely the best fit available.
And I would make it a criminal offense to not participate in this, if you were elligible to vote.

If this web portal was created in the right way, clear tendencies would become apparent, and governing would be a matter of administrating and executing desicions made by everyone. If everyone is in the government, wouldn't that be the same as no government?
Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:48 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you so much! You are all a massive help to me! Those answers were great!
0 Replies

Carpedamnum

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:51 pm
@Cyracuz,
The only word I can come up for that response is: phenomenal. I'm glad things are starting to get moving here.
0 Replies