Help, my dog just peed on the leather couch.

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:59 pm
The little bastard doesn't want to go outside, don't blame him really, it's freakin' cold out there. -26C.
Now I need to know how to clean the seat. It's not a shiny leather, more like a brown saddle, it's meant to look a bit rough, but now it's got a great big urine stain. When I wiped it, some of the dye came off on the cloth. Anybody got any ideas, or have a similar couch? When I bought it, the store told me not to use cleaning products on it, but I'm wondering if there is an oil or something that will bring it back to the original state before the hound did his business.
The buggers in time out at the moment. I could string him up, but I'm not that kinda gal...

Green Witch

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:06 pm
@Ceili,
You can get leather cleaners, but for now just use a dry cloth to soak up any urine and a damp cloth to do a little wipe down. You won't know how bad it is until after it dries. I assume you can't just turn over a cushion. If this is not the normal behavior of the dog you might want to get him tested for a possible bladder type infection.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:13 pm
No, this is not normal. He's a pup, just turned 6 months. I'll go and get some leather cleaning stuff tomorrow, too late now.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:16 pm
@Ceili,
Okay, he's still a baby. You can get good leather cleaners at auto supply stores, they sell them for high end car interiors.
Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:20 pm
@Green Witch,
Awesome, thank you so much. He's half american bulldog, half great dane, hard to think of him as a baby, he's stronger than me and will soon be bigger, but yeah, he's just a young fella. A bad dog at the moment. He's fully trained just scared of the cold.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:28 pm
@Ceili,
I have one of those old leather chairs too and I was told to use saddle cream
on it and it does work very well. I don't know about urine stains though...
Our pup was pretty bad with peeing around too, but luckily never on the leather chair...
Oy, half grate dane - their pee is like 2 gallons eh?
Green Witch

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:32 pm
@Ceili,
Am. Bullies are a southern breed who usually have very short hair that does not insulate well. You might want to buy him a coat - I'm serious. My AB wore one of my husband's sweat shirts that I altered and she would not go out in the winter until we put it on her.
Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yup, it was like a disgusting pool. He's being very good at the moment... lol
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:06 pm
@Green Witch,
I was going to buy him a coat this week. But a sweatshirt might do the trick in the meantime. Great idea!
Both breed have short coats and it's brutally cold at the moment. I'm thinking of buying Murphy booties too. I don't want to make him look like a fool, but this weather is awful.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:47 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Awesome, thank you so much. He's half american bulldog, half great dane, hard to think of him as a baby, he's stronger than me and will soon be bigger, but yeah, he's just a young fella. A bad dog at the moment. He's fully trained just scared of the cold.

As soft hearted and kind as you seem to be; your dog needs to be afraid of you... What I say is true; and yet, I hate to admit it... I scared the hell right out of my mutt when he was a baby for crapping on the rug and stuff... I should have been more patient... That dog has returned every ounce of injury I have ever done him with a ton of love, but I can still see that he is a little scared of me, and it hurts me to be reminded of my cruelty...
Subliminal0

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 03:29 pm
@Ceili,
Don't listen to Fido, they're wrong. A dog shouldn't fear their owner, they should respect them as a pack leader. Threatening your dog with injury or uncomfortable situations may 'work,' but your dog will be nervous when encountering a potentially negative situation. Being consistent, giving positive reinforcement, and being patient make a good, confident dog. I'm sure you're already doing well with your dog, you'll just have to forgive him for an occasional mistake even if you want to string him up. Good luck with your seat.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 04:14 pm
@Fido,
What do you mean by cruelty? What the heck did you do to your dog?
Fido

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 04:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

What do you mean by cruelty? What the heck did you do to your dog?

I held his nose in his buiness and wacked him with a news paper... To do it over again, I would have wacked the floor... No point in hitting a dog... They will love you anyway... That is just us... That's what makes us human; the ability to forgive...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 02:28 am
So what's the verdict on the condition of the couch today, Ceili?
Did you manage to fix up the damage?
Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:28 pm
@msolga,
Bought some saddle soap yesterday, hoping it will do the trick! I'll let you know. He's getting fixed on tuesday. I'm kind of afeared for him... I met a lady at the pet store with a huge great dane. She told me she bought her hound a colt coat, because none of the dog coats fit him. So, I'm going to ask me mammy if she'll make my pup some shoes and a coat. He's ok to -10C... but any colder and he shakes in the cold.
I'm decorating the tree today. Hope he'll stay away from the decorations or things could get ugly. Just kidding. I don't believe it beating dogs.
Papabear2564

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 06:39 pm
@Ceili,
I'm glad you don't spank your dog the great dane in him is way to scary for that. They develop confidence issues real easy. I have a six year old American great dane. He is just a big baby and unfortunately seems to have suffered some abuse before I got him. As for your couch if you haven't put the saddle soap on it yet don't. Before you do that go to a custodial supply store and tell them what happen. there is an all natural enzyme that you can use to remove the urine and it's smell completely if you follow the directions to the letter. The sales person should be able to help also with some instructions, trust me on this I used to own a custodial business. You want to remove that odor and it's cause before using anything else on it or you will trap the smell in the chair and well it becomes a repeated behavior because he'll still be able to smell the urine even when you can't. Hope I didn't reach you too late, good luck.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 06:46 pm
@Papabear2564,
She bought that saddle soap three years ago, so she probably did something with it.
Papabear2564

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 06:54 pm
@Ceili,
Hey, my boy didn't like the cold very much either. We live in the south so, long summers and then he has to try to tolerate the couple of cold months we get but it's best for him if you allow him to build up an tolerance to the weather especially if you get a lot of it. If he doesn't it can cause him to catch a cold and you don't want a dog his size with a runny nose plus they get really miserable cause they can't tell you what's wrong. I'm not saying don't get him a sweater but let him experience as much cold as he can stand.
0 Replies

Papabear2564

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 06:56 pm
@roger,
Oh I didn't notice how old the post was thanks for telling me. I hope it work out ok for her'
roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 07:11 pm
@Papabear2564,
Me too. She's a nice lady.

This happens all the time, by the way.
0 Replies