Jim Melcher

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:51 pm
@linnell,
Recently found this site. PBC's last summer of operation was 1980. In 2005 the Main Deck had been converted to a house. Glad to hear it was such a good time for you. I'm now living in Maine, just turning 87.
Best,
Cap'n Jim
quansetalum

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:27 pm
@andiw,
I just found this site. My 3 sisters and 2 cousins all were at Quanset from the late 60's until it closed in after the 1976 season. It was an amazing place.
0 Replies

quansetalum

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:31 pm
@Ann Kaplan,
Hi Ann -

This is Brooke Sherpick Mohr from Quanset and later Avalon. My sister Ann found this site. What a hoot.
0 Replies

maplemkr1

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:04 pm
@Jim Melcher,
Hi Cap,n Jim! Glad to life is treating you well! Read a little about you on line as i was trying to find out more about what had happened to the old PBC. Worked for you under Peter Stevens as a camp cook back in the early 70,s . Never had such a good time in life! Too bad the simpler times werent currently with us today. Any info on my old culinary arts teacher from Bay Path high school? (Peter Stevens). Hope to hear from you . Mark H. Arel ,Now in Northern Vermont
0 Replies

jbvoiceguy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 08:08 am
@Hughwc,
Hey Noel! It's John Beach. Great to see your name, and this morning I saw your picture on a FaceBook group just for PBC alumni. very cool. Where are you? I'm in Chappaqua, NY. See me at Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
What ever happened to Tom Siegel?
jb
jbvoiceguy

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 08:15 am
@Jim Melcher,
Cap'n Jim, how could you POSSIBLY be 87? That would mean that I'd have to be ,like FIFTY, and that couldn't possibly be so...
I had such wonderful Summers at PBC. I remember all of the camp songs and still sing'em. Thank you for those wonderful times.
John Beach
0 Replies

daysailor4

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 01:19 pm
@jbvoiceguy,
hey John,
its Ted Carpenter, your old counsellor. Steve Huntoon put me into the facebook group and its great to see all those old pictures.
be well...
0 Replies

crazymama864

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 10:11 am
@Ann Kaplan,
Ann this is Donna Laffey. Glad to hear you and Doug are still doing great. I am now in South Carolina with my son Keith & re-engaged to his dad after 9yrs!
Jaike

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 06:50 pm
@venoak,
Venoak,
If you were a Master Sailor in 73, then perhaps I was your instructor? In 73, my last year as a counselor, I was Head of Sailing. I have been in touch recently with Roger Carroll, Steve Huntoon and Ted Carpenter. The thread of emails is a ton 'o fun.
Jaike Williams
0 Replies

Jaike

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 06:55 pm
@Jim Melcher,
Hello Jim,
I, too, have caught up with you and your sons. I echo the sentiments and marvel at your then and probable current patience. To think that you had to guide all of us as counselors in those days!! Haven't sailed in years but know that it is in my blood from all my years at yout camp.
Thanks so much,
-jw
0 Replies

ChristinaDillonCohen

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:19 pm
@Ann Kaplan,
Hi Ann,
I was a counselor way back at Camp Avalon. I just saw Laff in Chatham and he's still the same, great guy/ second dad. Please let me know if you and Bly decide to get a group together.....I'm in Boston and would love to see everyone. I was on the site because I'm looking for a sailing camp for my daughter Kaitlyn 9 who is "so ready for a sleepaway camp." Cape Cod Sea Camps is too large for her. If you happen to know of a smaller, girls sailing camp like our beloved Avalon, please let me know. Thanks Christina Cohen
Catboat

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:16 am
@linnell,
Hi,

I was a camper in 79.
0 Replies

CapeFanatic

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:38 pm
@Jim Melcher,
Hi Cap'n Jim! Great to hear from you. I was a camper 1968-1971, and I think I gave you considerable aggravation my last summer being somewhat sassy and---to use a nautical phrase---mutinous. Which I'm sure you needed like Carter's needs Little Liver Pills. (Lord, how I'm dating myself.) But I loved everything about PBC, my occasional insubordinate attitude notwithstanding, and to this day I have many wonderful memories of the place. Take care.

Bill Albert
0 Replies

nicola bitossi

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 01:34 am
@northofthecape,
Hi,I'm Nicola Bitossi from Italy. I was at Viking on summer 80,I remember perfectly of Tony Roth,curly ,with glasses,really great skipper.
Do you remember about me ?
Do you have any news from other guys ?
Is there anyone who knows if it's possible to visit Viking - if still existing ?
I'll be in Boston on September and I would LOVE to see that place again !
maplemkr1

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:57 am
@nicola bitossi,
Hi Nicola, I was employed at Pleasant Bay Camp in the early 1970s. The location where these sailing camps are all now developed into homes. The camps as i understand were closed up in the 1980s. The magical days of beautiful hot summer action packed days are now a thing of the past. All we have are our memories . Too bad for the children of our present time to miss out on the fun loving times of these camps gone by. Mark
0 Replies

topslDoug

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 02:18 pm
@Champlin77,
I attended Namequoit just one season--1958--when I was 14. I don't remember anybody's names except Steve Gessner who wound up at George School with me one month later. I remember learning to sail in Turnabouts and Mercurys and being told constantly to "Trim the jib!" on the Cape Cod Knockabout. I've been sailing ever since and now have a Captain's license and teach sailing on the Hudson River. I've owned nine sailboats, from an 11' Mini-Fish to a 31' Hunter. I currently sail a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. Both of my sons have Captain's licenses and one of them owns Sea Tow South Shore (Massachusetts Bay). Doug Maass, Sleepy Hollow, NY
0 Replies

Outhaul

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 08:32 am
Hi, I can't find that link in facebook i was at PBC in late 70's
maplemkr1

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 10:46 am
@Outhaul,
Ive also tried to locate the PBC Facebook site for pics but no luck. Mark
daysailor4

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 01:52 pm
@maplemkr1,
try going to:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30090693&id=1533296493&view=all&subj=37843083609&aid=-1&oid=37843083609&saved#/group.php?gid=37843083609
good luck...
Outhaul

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 08:47 am
Thank You,Thank You,
0 Replies