Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:50 am
Setanta, start up a think tank -- quick! You're a natural.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
Thomas wrote:
Setanta, start up a think tank -- quick! You're a natural.

Wait, until Setanta lifts his real identity!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:58 am
PM me with your bank card numbers--you'll get a certificate, scroll-like, attesting to your astute political judgment, and i'll put you on the newsletter mailing list . . . if i ever get arsed enough to write one . . .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:58 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Ah - finally someone to my left on both counts! <grins>

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I was very astonished to see Pope Paul on the left site - he is considered in Europe as kind of ultra-conservative-right.

Well, not on economic matters though ... just on moral issues. And he's clearly above the authoritarian/libertarian line, so that makes sense.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
And Schröder right as well? Tell that our conservatives!

Well, Lafontaine would agree! ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
I dislike the way many of these questions are structured. They are too complex for simple agree/disagree answers. This is an example of one of the more poorly constructed questions:

Quote:
A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

Am I agreeing that it is significant, or that it is an advantage, or that it avoids all the arguments?

Worse - there's also whether you agree that "all the arguments" do indeed "delay progress". Thats what made me strongly disagree - I think the arguments help find the (relatively) best answers in exploring progress.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:13 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Ha Ha

You radical leftist. Laughing

I'll bet you have a poster of Che Guevara on your closet door. :wink:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
... and I was called a centrist (e.g. by George)! [can't nearly write - red flag in the one, maschine-gun in the other hand, waving hammer and sickle with my feet]

LMAO! Razz Razz

Hadnt seen those ones yet ... <grins>

But no - as a devout anti-communist I feel quite at home in the middle of that bottom-left corner, thanks <grins>. Ever since the Soviet Union determined what "communism" is, it's been pretty much staunchly in the top-left corner, after all - well enough away from us! ;-)

Actually, its a bit weird <thinks>. Look, what they say:

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/images/axeswithnames.gif

They equate the Right on the horizontal scale with Libertarianism - even though they got "Libertarian" at middle-bottom, too - as an equivalent of Anarchism.

Wouldnt it make more sense to put Libertarianism in the far right-bottom corner; Anarchism in the far left-bottom corner and Communism in the far top-left corner?

Even that'd still leave a question, though ... Anarchism is about opposing all authority, right. But many anarchists are revolutionary anarchists. And if someone stands in your market place with a gun, telling you to get the **** out or instantly give away all your wares to the people - he's behaving pretty authoritarian, wouldnt you say?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:24 pm
nimh wrote:

Ah - finally someone to my left on both counts! <grins>

If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. (Samuel Johnson)
Ouch! Ow - I know Laughing

nimh wrote:
Well, Lafontaine would agree! ;-)

Ditto on this :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:29 pm
Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

There were too many questions in which I felt stuck in the middle.

Faith based schools, for instance.
I think they make a contribution to society, and to social plurality, as long as they represent a minority of schools and are not funded by public resources. I felt that if I "agreed", it would mean that I think they are more valuable than non-religious schools.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:54 pm
Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97

I'm close to the Dalai Lama, though I know he's far more spiritual than I am. I guess we do share views on faith-based schools and corporate responsibilities, though...

I thought the questions were reasonable, but I agree with those who took issue on the one re whether authoritarian governments are more efficient. Sure they are, but that's a statement of fact, not my preference.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:10 pm
D'artagnan

So I'm not that alone in the commie corner Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:15 pm
I guess not, Walter. It's you, me and the Dalai Lama...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:16 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97

I'm close to the Dalai Lama, though I know he's far more spiritual than I am. I guess we do share views on faith-based schools and corporate responsibilities, though...

D'artagnan,
I guess in you I have found my alternate universe twin Very Happy

Economic Left/Right: 5.88
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.36

I suppose if we met and shook hands we would create a matter/antimatter explosion. Shocked

I guess we should keep as much room between our posts even to avoid taking chances.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:17 pm
Well, so far no cataclysms have occurred, but might be best to watch out...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:27 pm
oh NO - too late!! you posted one after another! <shudders>

<whispers> ok ... nobody move ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:34 pm
And I just got an email from the British Conservatibe Party that I won a case of beer as prize (can someone get it for me at noon [sic!] on next Saturday in The Crown, Harlow, Essex, UK?).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:48 pm
between Nelson Mandella and Ghandi
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:58 pm
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

Interesting to see the cluster of presidential hopefuls in the opposite quadrant.... Shocked
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:42 pm
Ecnomic Left/Right: -6.75

Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

To the left of Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. I thought I would be more conservative than that. Like others have said, the test prevents answers that express "sometimes," such as capital punishment, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:46 am
Diane wrote:
Ecnomic Left/Right: -6.75

Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

A very similar result to mine - depite your testified opinion of my living in a US-county Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 06:40 am
Economic Left/Right: -8.25
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Down there with Nelson Mandela and The Dalai Lama. Now that's good company. I like that survey - verry scientific !!!
0 Replies