In 2008.....

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:36 am
I supported Hillary and was insistent that Obama was not ready for prime time and would be in over his head. It was a watershed moment in my decline of being on good terms with many A2K members.

I wonder if anyone now thinks I may have been right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,176 • Replies: 52

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:48 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I supported Hillary and was insistent that Obama was not ready for prime time and would be in over his head. It was a watershed moment in my decline of being on good terms with many A2K members.

I think an unknown like Mr. Obama had a chance to getting elected, and that everyone who was going to vote for Mrs. Clinton was not enough to get her nominated... I uniformly hate all those bastards... Do you realize that the Clintons have never held private sector jobs and are millionaires many times over??? They are all the same... All just hogggs at the public trough...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:57 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
i think a ticket of hillary and obama would have been a better choice, i don't think the economy would be any better for it though

i also don't believe the economy would be any better if the republicans had one
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:24 am
@blueveinedthrobber,

No.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:24 am
@joefromchicago,
you mean you don't think so right Joe? Unless you woke up today as the spokesperson for everyone else here. I didn't get that memo.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:35 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I didn't get that memo.

You're not on the list.
Fido

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I didn't get that memo.

You're not on the list.
Squeeeeezed out again??? I guess old throbber has to be throbbing good to keep on the inside...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:54 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Always have. I was a big Obama fan in the primaries only because he would be more beatable in the general election.
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:58 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Is Obama in over his head? Not any more than anyone else would be, including Hillary.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:59 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Is Obama in over his head? Not any more than anyone else would be, including Hillary.

we'll have to agree to disagree there.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:00 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I didn't get that memo.

You're not on the list.

I'll open a vein
talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:00 pm
@roger,
I think even the one who started the Obama thread is in your league.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:49 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,

joefromchicago wrote:

I didn't get that memo.

You're not on the list.

I'll open a vein

A throbbing blue one, no doubt.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:07 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,

JPB wrote:

we'll have to agree to disagree there.
Oh; We certainly must...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:09 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,

joefromchicago wrote:

I didn't get that memo.

You're not on the list.

I'll open a vein

If it is the one feeding your brain, you are going to need a microscope...
failures art

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:20 pm
A lot has actually happened in the last 2 years. Part of the successful tactic of many in the GOP has been to dilute this. Moreover, the GOP obstruction would have happened regardless of which democrat was in office.

There is plenty to be frustrated about with the Democratic party, but most of the failures to lead and heal dragging happened in Congress, not the White House.

I'm fond of Hillary, but no, I don't see any reason to believe she'd have been any more successful. She may have her day, but 2008 wasn't meant for her. I don't regret Obama.

Why do you say that it strained relationships?

A
R
T
talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:25 pm
@failures art,
I think Hillary would have steered clear of healthcare until there was an absolute majority in Congress without filibuster. She experienced healthcare before and know the forces behind them. Obama didn't shore up the Massachusetts senate seat for the crucial vote. He should have gone to Massachusetts when his popularity was still high to stump for the Senate seat.
failures art

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:35 pm
@talk72000,
Two things...

1) Health Care Reform was a campaign topic. Hillary not going after it would have hurt her. It's hard to say what would have hurt more her not going after it, or Obama's drawn out attempt to get the GOP to compromise.

2) You can't assume that Hillary would have had the popularity needed to leverage in Massachusetts. Ted Kennedy dead and no action on HCR? It could be seen as betrayal.

Political dynamics are tough, and I'm not so foolish to think that magic bullets exist or that people can be them. I knew in 2008 that Obama would struggle. That's simply the name of the game. Remember, the GOP didn't come to compromise or get along; they came to disrupt and obstruct.

A
R
T
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:41 pm
I always preferred Hillary, but now that Obama is in, I will support him.
(Natch I voted Obama in the general election)
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:43 pm
@failures art,
Healthcare might be a campaign issue but it need not have been tackled with inadequate tools. It could have waited till after 2010 when Democrats won more seats. Instead the healthcare turned more Americans away as the insurance industry has deep pockets and ran an effective campaign. The financial reform was easier to tackle but I guess he had Emmanuel Rahm of Wall Street with henches like Geithner divert attention from that issue and made it secondary.