..so ..still no Private Messages!

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 08:55 pm
PM was allegedly disabled due to spam, which is baffeling to me, since anti-spamfeatures has long been invented like 15 years ago, why does it take so long to reinstate such simple feature?

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:34 pm
@HexHammer,
Maybe they don't like you.
JPB

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:37 pm
@Mame,
I"m guessing you're right.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:37 pm
not nice mame.

other new members (not associated with the philosophy folk) are not able to access Pm either. In one particular case a person asked for Pm to be turned on and was directed to a post explaining the situation.

Shrug I guess when robert has the time and inclination he'll get around to it ...or not.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 07:34 am
I agree, PMs have been down for far too long. Seems like they're not even trying as we don't get updates or anything........
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 07:36 am
Hex, it's because you're a foul, anti-semitic Nazi . . . management doesn't want to encourage you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:17 pm
The last time Robert mentioned them, he said it wasn't as simple as just switching them back on again. He wants to rework a few of the internal systems that were supposed to have prevented the massive spam attack.

He does this as a hobby in his spare time, with his spare cash, after his commitments to his company, his clients and his family are fulfilled. Sometimes A2K just isn't going to be at the top of the priority list when it comes to time and money being devoted to it.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:24 pm
when I joined A2k (sorry Jo) we had to wait until we accrued a largish number of posts before the PM privileges became available to us.

500 I think.

I'm just saying...
HexHammer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

The last time Robert mentioned them, he said it wasn't as simple as just switching them back on again. He wants to rework a few of the internal systems that were supposed to have prevented the massive spam attack.

He does this as a hobby in his spare time, with his spare cash, after his commitments to his company, his clients and his family are fulfilled. Sometimes A2K just isn't going to be at the top of the priority list when it comes to time and money being devoted to it.
Yes indeed, but then he should let other hands do it, instead of willfully delapitate his child, it's not like he's in prison or in coma where he would have a legal excuse not to do anything.
dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:24 pm
@HexHammer,
Drama queen.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:34 pm
@dlowan,
Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
when I joined A2k (sorry Jo) we had to wait until we accrued a largish number of posts before the PM privileges became available to us.

500 I think.

I'm just saying...

And we were very polite & patient about it, too.

Just saying ...
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:51 am
@msolga,
I got a PM just the other day . Whats the problem now?
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:17 am
@farmerman,
The philosophy forum folk(all or some?) got PMs taken away because some were doing the wrong thing
HexHammer

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I got a PM just the other day . Whats the problem now?
This?:
Quote:

Private messages temporarily suspended due to mass PM spam. We were open to discussion of alternative forums above-board but the underhanded attempts at recruiting were just not cool. To those uninvolved in the spam we apologize for the inconvenience and will restore access to PMs shortly. Click here to go to home page
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:09 am
Poor little Nazi . . . my heart goes out to him . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:05 am
@dlowan,
Jeezus Christ. They want to make believe that theyre grownups.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:09 am

on nov 3rd, Robert Gentel wrote:

Caroline wrote:
Robert it's about time you gave us our pm's back and not make us suffer for what others have done.

I agree, but there are a lot of things that I also think it's about time I do but there's still only so much time in the day. I'm quite behind on just about everything to do with a2k because a2k is what we do when we have the luxury of doing what we want, rather than what pays the bills (a2k is our hobby that our other business supports) and other work/life events have intervened with our plans.

In any case, we've added more development and server administration bandwidth to the company recently, so hopefully things will come along more quickly now. But I can't make any promises and everything on a2k is offered on an as-is basis and development and such for it comes on an as-available basis. It is not how I would have things (this is the project I'd love to have the time to work on exclusively) but it is what it is and things will just have to happen when they do and we'll just have to live with displeasing folks sometimes by not doing things fast enough.

In any case, I think the PM thing can be fairly easily worked around through email like you just did, and if anyone doesn't want to post their own email they can always use a very easy "disposable" service like mailinator.com or use a free webmail account for it in the mean time. But yes, as soon as we can that limit will be removed.

http://able2know.org/topic/152716-37#post-4402248
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:52 am
Wait

You mean to tell me on a FREE site, people are DEMANDING a service?

seriously..

priorities and needs should be put in check here.
PMs are not a freaking birth right. They are a function of a FREE SITE.

Get the hell of your high horse.
Emails work just as well. PMs are not a requirement, a right or something you can not live with out.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:57 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Wait

You mean to tell me on a FREE site, people are DEMANDING a service?

seriously..

priorities and needs should be put in check here.
PMs are not a freaking birth right. They are a function of a FREE SITE.

Get the hell of your high horse.
Emails work just as well. PMs are not a requirement, a right or something you can not live with out.
So, you think it's better to lose the fanbase? It's better that the fans go to other sites? ..such ill logic.