Donating Blood

Sugar

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:05 am
I give blood every 4 months. Sometimes it doesn't work out - I'm a 'slow bleeder' and the nurses get impatient, start moving the needle around and then tell me I'm over the time limit. Seems like a waste, but that how it goes. I drink fluids to the point of sickness a couple days before, but it hasn't seemed to help. They have a couple of gallons from me anyway.

I gave a few weeks ago and it worked out ok. It's a crap shoot. You can also give blood specifically for someone. If you know anyone who's having an operation and you're the same blood type, you can go to the hospital and donate for them. You can also donate your own blood for yourself before an operation. Same goes for plasma.

I was booted twice - once for low iron and last March because I went to Costa Rica for a week on vacation. They kept me off the list for a year for that one. I passed out once as well. Nice little nap.

I do it to even out my karma wheel. You know, in case I ever need some, thinking it might increase my odds in some cosmic way. If you ever need any, I'm A+ Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
I have type AB+, which is sufficiently rare that i've always been welcome. I've always donated to a blood bank, which provides the blood where it is needed, as well as providing me a form of "insurance" that i can get blood at a reasonable price if i need it.

But, i've been donating since 1970, and have given about 250-300 units of blood in that time. The "pits" in both of my arms into which the needle is inserted are so scarred, that i no longer donate. Only the best phlebotomists can "hit me," and when it isn't done properly, it only makes the problem worse. These days, i'd only donate if i knew that my specific type were needed on an emergency basis.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:46 am
You guys are awesome for doing that. I would have done the same all these years if they didn't tell me I couldn't. I'm gonna look around and try to find someplace close by where I can give.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:08 am
I gave blood when younger, but now I'm under the weight limit... and I don't fancy gaining it again, although it's inevitable. I'm B-, which I'm told is rather rare, and I've given four times... it hurts, but it's worth it.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:12 pm
I found this on a website:

0-,0+ YOu are universal blood donar. Patients with any blood type can recieve your blood. Type O blood must be available for newborn babies and emergency patients.

A+ Your blood is second most frequently occuring blood type.

A-,B+,B- You have a rare blood type, less than 10 percent of the population has your blood type.

AB+, AB- You are the universal donor of plasma. Patients with any blood type can recieve your plasma.

Blood type is inherited, just like eye color.

Certain blood types are more common in certain countries. In China, over 99% of the population has Rh+ blood.

Different kinds of animals have different kinds of blood. Dogs have 4 blood types; cats have 11; cows have about 800.

Some people think blood type tells about personality. Legend has it that Type A is calm and trustworthy; Type B is creative and excitable; Type AB is thoughtful and emotional; and Type O is a confident leader.

In Japan, the idea of blood type as personality type is so popular that Japanese ask “What's your blood type?” about as often as Americans ask “What's your sign?”

BLOOD TYPE
0+ 37% of the people
0- 6%
A+ 34%
A- 6%
B+ 10%
B- 2%
AB+ 4%
AB- 1%

Medications
Aspirin, birth control pills, antihistamines, and thyroid medications will not disqualify the donor. Most medications are not a problem. Our staff will need to document the exact name of your medications on your donor card each time you donate.

Cancer
Melanoma, leukemia, lymphoma are permanent deferrals. All other forms of cancer deferred for 5 years (Basal Cell Skin Cancer no deferral).

Allergies
Okay to donate. Medication or shots are okay.

Most Antibiotics
The donor will be accepted 24 hours after completion of therapy.

Blood Pressure
Must be within acceptable limits. Most medications are acceptable, but must be reviewed by SBB collection staff.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:09 pm
I went in for a blood test today.

I am SUCH a wimp.

I have to talk myself through it, concentrate on a far-off point, total wuss. Some of this is that when they were trying to figure out why I became deaf I had umpteen blood tests, including some from highly inexperienced nurses (nurses? not sure if they were that qualified) who would, like, root around in there for the vein AFTER they'd put the needle in. Aggggggggggghhhhhh...

That said, I'm still a wuss.

And a lot of people are. It just ain't pleasant.

But it's important. I gave blood after 9/11, I should do it more.
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:12 pm
I have O-, so they always do need my blood. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't, but I know that they can always use it, so I try to donate pretty regularly.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:58 pm
xifar, that's exactly what I would have said. And most of the time it does not hurt - me, at least. So I also donate on a regular basis.

I think this is a very important topic.

The company I work for has a business area that produces 'blood component technology' - machines for blood donation, separation blood components etc. There was a poll on our intranet some time ago about blood donation. I was really surprised about the small number of people who donate. I thought we all know how important it is.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 06:48 pm
gave a pint of o+ today...
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 10:10 pm
Yep, I sure do donate, I am 0- ... !
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:25 am
Montana: Birth control pills have changed over the years and today's pills contain far less hormone concentrations than their predecessors. Perhaps this is why you were refused so many years ago. Try again because O- is the most desired type there is! (I used to work in a hospital blood bank so I know.) It is the preferred type for premature babies (as long as it's CMV negative too) and for ER situations where a patient needs blood before he/she can be typed.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:09 am
Caprice
I'm no longer on the pill and I'll be checking around to find out where I can donate. Thanks ;-)
0 Replies