Donating Blood

xifar

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 01:25 pm
I was wondering why only around one percent of Americans donate blood. I think that mainly it is the fear, or the fact that it takes about 45 minutes. But you have to remember, at one point, you might need blood yourself. And someone out there gave went to a blood drive and gave that blood so you could live. I think that giving blood is something that everyone should do. It's an easy way that we can all give back to our community.

So, do you donate blood? Or, if not, why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,004 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 01:49 pm
I've tried donating blood, but if you're on any kind of medication, they don't want it. I take medication for asthma, so I can't give. It's a shame because I have negative blood which is rare.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 01:51 pm
I have donated blood in the past. I can't now, 'cause they don't want my blood! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:00 pm
Yep, I have found that they are selective, but many people never even try. I do applaud each of you for at least trying, that is what is important.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
I've donated twice, then pass out afterwards. They say that its a myth that people pass out, but I apparently am one of the few that do.

I have also had to have blood, and very appreciative to those that do give thier time and efforts. I have AB+ with less than 2% having that type. So it was kinda scary situation to be in, needing as badly as I was.....
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:09 pm
Hi xifar Very Happy

Your thread got me to thinking. I used to donate blood every couple months in college. Since getting out, I haven't donated. I did try once but they rejected me for being 8 pounds under their weight guidlines. I'm back up over 110 but I still haven't taken the time to do it. I always make the excuse that I'm too busy. Yet......when I was in college I was working 30 plus hours a week and in school fulltime. So I was even busier then ...than I am now Confused So what is my excuse? I might try to make excuses, but in reality, I have none. And it's sad because it doesn't take very long. You actually spend more time just relaxing and drinking juice AFTERWARDS...then you do giving blood.

Thank-you for posting this thread. I'm going to start giving again.

~Brooke
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:16 pm
yes, i have A+ blood and have donated it seven times since I started college. I like the cookies :p

makemeshiver, having ab+ doesn't mean you can only recieve ab+ blood. you can recieve the blood types o, a+, b+, or ab+. the problem is you can only donate to other ab+ people.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:22 pm
LOL....TY, I know that about me recieving...and donating....., when there is no other they gave me the O type. And yes, I know that O is the universal donar....But wanted me to have my type instead. I was in need of 2 units plus.....
0 Replies

innie

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 02:25 pm
I want to... but i'm still too young Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:03 pm
Cancer survivors are banned blood donors.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 04:01 pm
The pound of flesh nearest your heart.

I give regularly, and encourage others. Yeah, I passed out once. Just get up from that cot slowly, and take your time. Drink plenty of fluids before, and after.

Funny... it sems to take longer now that I'm taking meds for high blood pressure...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 04:11 pm
Montana, you should check again. I take asthma medication, but they still allow me to donate. I know it depends what you're taking. (I take Singulair and use Advair and albuterol inhalers.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
I used to give all the time. But, as I age it feels grosser and grosser to do it. I wanted to give while my dad was insurgery and I was waiting at the hospital anyway. But, I'd stuck myself with my cat's insulin needle and they wouldn't let me donate for a year. It's been a year and a half. Now I have no excuse.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:13 pm
I used to, had to stop for a few months as I was donating plasma, and have resumed again.

I should be due for another donation this month or next.

My church schedules drives about every 56 days!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:10 pm
Excellent church! Local Red Cross finds a place almost that often.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:08 pm
mac11 wrote:
Montana, you should check again. I take asthma medication, but they still allow me to donate. I know it depends what you're taking. (I take Singulair and use Advair and albuterol inhalers.)

Maybe you're right. When I tried to give it was years ago when I was on birth control and they told me that I couldn't give because I was on medication, so I assumed that they meant all meds. I haven't been on birth control for about 18 years now, but I've been on ventoline and albuteral for about 15 years now.
I should check it out. Only about 15% of the population have negative blood and I would think that they'd have a huge need for O- blood.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 10:00 pm
Seal:

Even cooler is that they bring in an actual "Bloodmobile"!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:13 pm
You can donate if you're on birth control pills.

Check out the Frequently Asked Questions at www.giveblood.org . It's my local website, but they have great detail about who can and who can't donate. (Click on Frequently Asked Questions, and scroll down to Medications and Health.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:22 am
Mac
That's strange because at the time they told me I couldn't. That really bugs me now!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:47 am
Montana, maybe the requirements have changed or maybe there were other factors at the time. But if they exclude every woman on the pill, that's a lot of potential donors!
0 Replies