Girlfriend's overweight, I'm shallow?

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:55 pm
I've been dating this girl for a month or so. I generally like everything about her (face, hair, personality, chest, fashion sense) but I can't get over her spare tire/midsection fat. We were cuddling, I felt something, I asked what it was and she said it was one of those corsets they sell on TV that flattens out your body to make you look slimmer. Is this false advertising? I knew she wasn't the slimmest girl in the world when I met her but I'm worried how I'll react when I see her naked without the "corset" on. I don't date much so I'm hesitant to break it off.

I'm expecting to get mostly "your shallow" type comments but am I? No one is attracted to a 500lb morbidly obese can't-leave-the-room individual, but where is the line that suddenly makes one shallow over body issues?

-Shallow in Phoenix

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 8,449 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:08 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Well, it isn't essential that you continue going out with some girl you are not attracted to, be it too much loose skin, or hair on her toes.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:09 pm
@brokencdplayer,
What are you exactly asking for? If this is a deal breaker then no one here is going to talk you out of leaving her.

If you could perhaps be diplomatic and tell her that you are concerned about her health and that her weight is somewhat an issue... in regards to the sexual attractiveness....

What shouldn't be tolerated is that you keep on with this relationship and submit your girlfriend with a bunch of passive aggressive nonsense. Treating her a little bit off if and when you avoid telling her about your concerns about her weight.

Either address this issue with her or break up with her (hopefully in a humane and gentle fashion).

BTW: How much does she allegedly weigh? The context in what you consider overweight could be understandable or absolute nonsense depending on her actual weight.

EX: My girlfriend weighs 120 pounds and is 5 foot 9 inches tall. What a heifer!

Then you should drown in the deluge of much deserved derisive criticism. I hope that this isn't the case.

vikorr

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Get over the 'shallow' comments that you think will be directed your way. As a male, you have to be physically attracted to the girl you're with - we are built that way (otherwise certain things don't happen). I doubt any girl wants to always have to physically stimulate you in order to have sex with you.

Have a look around you - every male is attracted to somewhat differing physical qualities and body shapes and body parts and facial features etc - it's easy to pick a few different guys and see this at work...that's not shallowness, that's just genetics.

You happen to not be attracted to love handles. Good for you - accept that as part of yourself and look in the right direction.

Usually the onlly people that are telling you it's shallow are females who are afraid of what it means (or a guy who's primary upbringer was a woman, or who likes chunk in the trunk etc).

Learn to respect who you are in this regard. You may start learning things you never knew.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:52 pm
any human has to be attracted to the other human to want to mate or date.

It isnt shallow
you are not attracted. Its ok. Just move on though.
how? thats the hard question..
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:52 pm
There must be 50 ways to leave your lover. One is run out the back, Jack. Make a new friend, Wynn. Set yourself freeeeeee. Remember that song?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:12 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Tell her to get her big fat arse on the stair master. She has the dating game to survive, then kids, then her first divorce, then the dating game again, and if she is this gross now, things are going to get a lot worse.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:14 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
hair on her toes.
I suppose you dont like us people who have hair on the palms of our hands either ? Phhbbbtttt ! Razz
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:18 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
hair on her toes.
I suppose you dont like us people who have hair on the palms of our hands either ? Phhbbbtttt ! Razz

Is that condition called lycanthropy syndrome?
Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Is that condition called lycanthropy syndrome?
Not saying till I determine if you are a vampire. Cant be too careful.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:29 pm
@Ionus,
Don't worry. I'm not a sparkly permateenager heartthrob based vampire. I happened to be a werecorgi!
http://i56.tinypic.com/nx9mae.jpg
Ionus

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Brother !! I think I dated your sister .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 11:11 pm
1. More skin to kiss.... Mmmm
2. Dont expect her to change.
3. Offer to assist if she wishes to change, support, encorage, and respond to positve developments.
4. Lead if thats what she needs and wants.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 05:03 am
Speaking as a former fat person -- break it off now. Be kind about it, but end it. And, BTW, there are plenty of guys who'd probably love to be with her, corset and all. So be fair and end it before you waste any more of her time.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 07:13 am
Yup - let her go. This issue will keep coming up, even if you deny it matters. It does matter to you. You will always come back to it.

Let her go so she can find another man who won't get turned off about the shape of her body.

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 08:38 am
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:
I I don't date much so I'm hesitant to break it off.

If you are not attracted to her, end it, but kindly. To not do so is just using her. Much worse than "shallow".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 03:41 pm
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:
I'm expecting to get mostly "your shallow" type comments but am I? No one is attracted to a 500lb morbidly obese can't-leave-the-room individual, but where is the line that suddenly makes one shallow over body issues?

I wouldn't make this an issue of judging your or her character. I would make it about the future of your relationship.

First of all, the two of you may yet work out in bed just fine. So why don't you give this issue a chance to blow away before it even becomes an issue? You may just get lucky.

Second, if you don't get lucky and two of you don't work out sexually, that's just what it is. It doesn't matter if she committed false advertising or not. It doesn't matter if you're shallow or not. Blame, guilt, and fault-finding don't matter when your relationship runs into a critical problem like that. What matters is, can you fix it? That's where communication comes in. Offer to take her on walks. Support her in any way you can in losing weight. She already knows she has a problem, or else she wouldn't be wearing that corset. So, be part of the solution and help her. Support like that can improve both the physical and the psychological bonds between you.

Should you have tried that for a while and it didn't work, find a tactful way to tell her that her overweight is a problem for you, and try to improve things together. I have no advice beyond those generalities, because a lot depends on the details of your personality and hers. But definitely talk openly, sincerely, and as respectfully of her feelings as you can.

Finally, if all of this doesn't work, the time may come for you to break up. I hope it doesn't come to this, but if it does, don't make it about fault-finding, finger-pointing, and guilt-mongering. Say you're breaking up because the relationship isn't working for you. Offer no more reasons than absolutely necessary. Relationships fail, and that's not an invitation to judge each other. Breaking up is about cutting your losses and moving on. And if things don't work out between you and her, that's what you should do.

I wish you luck.
0 Replies

brokencdplayer

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 05:21 pm
Well, a few hours after I posted this question she broke up with me because I am unkind, cheap, and lack common sense. What a relief!
Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 05:29 pm
Good luck moving on, then.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Quote:
she broke up with me because I am unkind, cheap, and lack common sense
And you also lack a few hundred pounds.....
0 Replies