California again?

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 11:25 am
@Mame,
Next thing you know - you aren't going be allowed to cut a child's nails.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 12:09 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

dlowan, I agree with you and support your reasoning.

Some people just hate government---period.

BBB
I have remained consistently a philosophical anarchist;
philosophical anarchist Henry David Thoreau asserted
“ 'That government is best which governs not at all'; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have. ”

Thomas Jefferson is also sometimes seen as a philosophical anarchist,] who said
“ Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
Mohandas Gandhi also identified himself as a philosophical anarchist.
Philosophical anarchism is an anarchist school of thought[1] which contends that the State lacks moral legitimacy and -in contrast to revolutionary anarchism- does not advocate violent revolution to eliminate it but advocate peaceful evolution to superate it.[2] Though philosophical anarchism does not necessarily imply any action or desire for the elimination of the State, philosophical anarchists do not believe that they have an obligation or duty to obey the State, or conversely, that the State has a right to command.

Philosophical anarchism is a component especially of individualist anarchism. Philosophical anarchists of historical note include Mohandas Gandhi, William Godwin, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, Herbert Spencer, Max Stirner and Henry David Thoreau. Michael Freeden identifies four broad types of individualist anarchism. He says the first is the type associated with William Godwin that advocates self-government with a "progressive rationalism that included benevolence to others." The second type is the amoral self-serving rationality of Egoism, as most associated with Max Stirner. The third type is "found in Herbert Spencer's early predictions, and in that of some of his disciples such as Donisthorpe, foreseeing the redundancy of the state in the source of social evolution." The fourth type retains a moderated form of egoism and accounts for social cooperation through the advocacy of the market, having such followers as Benjamin Tucker, and Henry David Thoreau. Contemporary philosophical anarchists include John Simmons and Robert Paul Wolff.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 12:25 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
This brings up my one and only worry about it: cleanliness.

I did not have my son circumcised because I was told by my pediatrician that it was not necessary and I did not want to cause him any unecessary pain.
But I was also told by my pediatrician that it was extremely important to retract the foreskin and clean his penis thoroughly at every bathtime. He taught me how to do it and I taught my son how to do it when he was old enough to do it himself.
It was impressed upon me how much pain and discomfort could result from infections that might arise if this was not pretty much religiously done on a daily basis.
I wonder if all children can count on their parents to be conscientious enough to teach them that this is a part of their necessary hygenic routine from the time they can bathe themselves and to, in fact, do it for their sons themselves while their children are still in diapers (nappies).

Some parents can't hold it together enough to give their children regular and appropriate diaper changes - much less a daily bath.

I wonder if they will start seeing more infections in baby boys in California.
It is foreseeable that over the decades of a lifetime,
there may well be circumstances that prevent daily bathing; (war comes to mind).

A word to the wise is sufficient.

David
Lash

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 01:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
Absolutely!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 01:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David - it's a little different when you're wearing a diaper all day and your skin is constantly in contact with urine and/or stool. It is very important that the area under the foreskin be kept clean. It takes an extra effort with an uncircumcised boy so it's very important that the parents are conscientious about keeping that area clean.

When you get older and can use the toilet and are not constantly sitting in your own waste - yeah - the chance for infection lessens - you know?

Sorry to be so graphic - but yes - that's the truth. And if a parent isn't conscientous enough to keep a child's diaper changed so that s/he doesn't get diaper rash - do you think they'll be conscientious about retracting the child's foreskin and cleaning under it every day?

Again, sorry to be so graphic - but there it is.

My uncircumcised son never had an infection - but I made it my business to keep him clean.

That's all I'm saying - if California wants to ban circumcisions - they better make sure they do some basic and intensive parenting/child care education to back it up.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:25 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
What I do object to is the process of a ballot initiative wherein the "voters" of the city of San Francisco determine the legality with the potential of criminalizing a parent. I also question the probability of this voter initiative surviving challenge in State Courts, US Courts of Appeals or ultimately the Supreme Court.

This is the California Way.

The legislature is too timid to take on anything remotely controversial and so The Will of The People is determined and served by a ballot initiative. Immediately thereafter, the losing side takes the matter to court to try and have a judge countermand the people's will.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:30 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
David - it's a little different when you're wearing a diaper all day and your skin is constantly in contact with urine and/or stool. It is very important that the area under the foreskin be kept clean. It takes an extra effort with an uncircumcised boy so it's very important that the parents are conscientious about keeping that area clean.

When you get older and can use the toilet and are not constantly sitting in your own waste - yeah - the chance for infection lessens - you know?

Sorry to be so graphic - but yes - that's the truth. And if a parent isn't conscientous enough to keep a child's diaper changed so that s/he doesn't get diaper rash - do you think they'll be conscientious about retracting the child's foreskin and cleaning under it every day?

Again, sorry to be so graphic - but there it is.

My uncircumcised son never had an infection - but I made it my business to keep him clean.

That's all I'm saying - if California wants to ban circumcisions - they better make sure they do some basic and intensive parenting/child care education to back it up.
Maybe thay 'll have the California Highway Patrol run cleanliness checks.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:41 pm
dlowan should come over here and run for election as a Supervisor in San Francisco. Perhaps she would feel at home.

Most of the folks I know around here consider our city government to be something of a joke.

I do wonder if those so eager to direct the lives of other folks in issues like this will soon take up banning plastic surgery or Botox. (However, what would Nancy Pelosi do?).
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 05:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Reasoning health issues and infections as excuse to circumcise is ludicrous as
in many parts of the world boys are not circumcised and are healthy and know how to use proper hygiene.

I personally don't approve of the "across the board circumcision" . I was present when my jewish godchild was circumcised by a rabbi; the 3 day old infant received local anesthesia only. It was just plain horrific to hear the boy cry in utter pain. Never would I do that to my child!

Should the government interfere with old religious traditions like these ?
I definitely would outlaw circumcisions performed by rabbis and any other clergy/person who have no medical license.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 05:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm not aware that Jews have suffered as a result of the practice. Why not let them do as they wish?

No skin off your nose ! Wink
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 05:54 pm
How about focusing on the truly horrific things that happen to children?

Let's say there is agreement that there is no medical benefit to circumcision, and that there no way a local anesthetic can dull or eliminate the pain.

Outlawing the practice will, no doubt, make a large number of people feel like they've done a good deed, but how will the law be enforced?

Should the resources now devoted to protecting children from physical and sexual abuse be spread thinner to preserve foreskins?

Or is the answer simply that once we decide circumcision is something we don't particularly like we need to raise taxes to enforce its ban?

This is a good example of how we've ended up in such a fiscal mess.

What makes us feel really good? Let's make it so! Declare it must be so with the force of Law!

How do we make it actually happen? Impose regulations, hire people to write, administer and enforce them!

How do we pay for the process that leads us to feeling good?

Raise taxes on the other guy!

Now add to the mix the fact that some people actually want to continue the practice.

Who cares? They're ignorant and superstitious, and they can't be trusted to make the right decisions for their children. We don't like it and we know best!

Obviously there are things we don't like that as a society we can't tolerate and which we need to contribute a share of our resources to combat, but is circumcision really one of those things?

Government can't make the world perfect for everyone, but we can go broke and surrender our liberty insisting it try.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:49 pm
@georgeob1,
That's true, George, but I think the issue here is that baby boys cannot fend
for themselves and to harm them just for hygienic or religious reason, does not justify that they're circumcised and/or (sometimes) butchered by rabbis.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Are you suggesting that all those jewish mothers don't care about their baby boys ?

Besides you missed my "no skin off your nose" wisecrack.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:27 pm
@georgeob1,
I know it's no skin off my nose, George Very Happy Nonetheless, I work with a jewish
"boy" (man) and he seems traumatized - could be from a butchered circumcision.....
Mame

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
or it could be from his mama!!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 09:37 pm
@Mame,
Hehe, it's probably a combination of both Very Happy
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:36 pm
I don't have a strong opinion here about CA's decision to leave it up to the people, but do think it should be up to the family only. Both my boys were circumcized because that's just what doctors did then. Today, I'd give that a thought or two. Nobody asked me, then, if that's what I wanted.

My mother-in-law was, at about that time, assisting doctors as a volunteer. She said the doctors usually let a baby suck liquor off his finger before this sort of mutilation occurred.

Later on I worked as a medical assistant for two G.P.s I was the doctor's assistant one day when a mom brought her baby boy in for a circumcision. He was about 6 wks. old. I could scarcely believe what that doctor did. You see, it's an iron clamp that he placed over this baby's tiny penis. Then he just cuts this little thing's skin. Well, the baby screamed horribly, turned bright red and sweat popped out on him, all over. I have never gotten over that scene. Grotesque.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 11:40 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
I don't have a strong opinion here about CA's decision to leave it up to the people, but do think it should be up to the family only. Both my boys were circumcized because that's just what doctors did then. Today, I'd give that a thought or two. Nobody asked me, then, if that's what I wanted.

My mother-in-law was, at about that time, assisting doctors as a volunteer. She said the doctors usually let a baby suck liquor off his finger before this sort of mutilation occurred.

Later on I worked as a medical assistant for two G.P.s I was the doctor's assistant one day when a mom brought her baby boy in for a circumcision. He was about 6 wks. old. I could scarcely believe what that doctor did. You see, it's an iron clamp that he placed over this baby's tiny penis. Then he just cuts this little thing's skin. Well, the baby screamed horribly, turned bright red and sweat popped out on him, all over. I have never gotten over that scene. Grotesque.

My cousins have informed me that I was noisy in pain
(at the age of a few months) after circumcision,
but I gotta say that it was WORTH it; no more infections
and I 'm glad that I don 't look the other way; gross n foul !

David
aidan

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And more important than how he looks, I wish I'd known this when my son was born - I'd have definitely had him circumcised- fortunately for him he doesn't live in Africa, - or I'd be hauling him down to the doctor's office today- right now!:
Learn something new every day:
The paper in its entirety is here:

http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/HIV/vincenzi/
Quote:

Male circumcision: a role in HIV prevention?
Isabelle de Vincenzi and Thierry Mertens*†
AIDS 1994, 8: 153-160

Keywords: HIV, sexual transmission, circumcision, prevention,
sexually transmitted disease.
Introduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent publications have reported an association between the lack of male circumcision and sexual transmission of HIV [1-7]. If confirmed, such an association may prompt interest in a possible intervention through male circumcision.

It has been suggested that following circumcision, the surface epithelium of the glans develops a protective keratin layer, a form of natural condom [8]. Thus, circumcision could reduce the HIV incidence by directly decreasing the susceptibility of uninfected men to HIV. Circumcision could also reduce the incidence of HIV by directly decreasing the infectivity of men with HIV, as suggested by the studies of tissue samples collected from macaques infected with the simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV), which showed infected mononuclear cells in the dermis and epidermis of the penile foreskin [9].

Furthermore, some or all sexually transmitted diseases (STD) may increase men's susceptibility to HIV [10,11]. If circumcision reduces the transmission of genital infections, either by improving local hygiene [12] or by accelerating the healing of otherwise subpreputial lesions [13-15], circumcision may also delay HIV transmission. Therefore, potential associations between the lack of circumcision and STD other than HIV are also of interest.

In the past, circumcision has been advocated for many reasons: for religious purposes among the Jews and Muslims; for cultural reasons among several African ethnic groups; for reasons of hygiene in the United States, Canada, and Australia and for therapeutic purposes—as the cure for phimosis. consequently, circumcision is almost universal in some parts of the world (United States and Muslim countries) and rare in others (Europe and South America). In all situations, cultural differences between circumcised and uncircumcised men may affect their sexual and hygienic behaviour, including their exposure to various STD and HIV.

In this article we review the evidence in support of the association between the lack of circumcision and STD, including HIV infection, and the possible biological explanations. we discuss implications for public-health interventions and suggest areas and methods for further research.

Epidemiological evidence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Studies linking lack of circumcision to HIV infection
Twenty-three published study reports linking circumcision status to HIV infection were identified. The literature review included articles using circumcision as a key word, articles analysing risk factors for HIV infection and AIDS conference proceedings. Unfortunately, one-third of these studies were reported in abstracts with little detail. Four different study designs were used in these studies as described below.

And the World Health Organization says this:
Quote:
Male circumcision for HIV prevention

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. Three randomized controlled trials have shown that male circumcision provided by well trained health professionals in properly equipped settings is safe. WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalence. Male circumcision provides only partial protection, and therefore should be only one element of a comprehensive HIV prevention package which includes:

•the provision of HIV testing and counseling services;
•treatment for sexually transmitted infections;
•the promotion of safer sex practices;
•the provision of male and female condoms and promotion of their correct and consistent use.

This is wild:
a) that I- someone who hated the idea of circucision-would find myself now thinking it's probably the right thing to do from a public health standpoint

b) that the World Health Organization would put forth this information about AIDS prevention and that it would be totally ignored by a state's government.

Having this information - if someone told me it was against the law to help protect my son against HIV infection in the way the WHO organization advises - I'd tell them to mind their own damn business- or take him across state lines to do what I saw fit for me to do for him .
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Only you, Finn, could turn a discussion about circumcision into a call for lower taxes. Well, you and okie and ican and the other nitwits on the far right. Congratulations on your promotion to the front ranks of the crankoisie!