Why did the American Academy of Pediatrics change their views on circumcision?

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 07:02 pm
Did they have dubious reasons for doing so? What's all of your veiws on circumcision in general?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,977 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 10:29 pm
@Bobblepook,
Cruel and arbitrary religious thing
0 Replies

JB1

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 10:01 pm
@Bobblepook,
They spent about 5 years making the policy with much of that time reading through scientific literature. The taskforce has very qualified participants unlike their equivalent is some countries. I don't think giving the best possible policy that experts can give based on a mountain of scientific research to be a dubious reason.

I believe parents should have the choice to circumcise just as they should have the choice to vaccinate. They should be forced but it is a great idea and particularly good for the population.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 10:20 pm
@Bobblepook,
the reason is that the center of gravity has shifted..we used to believe that kids are entrusted to their parents care and that we would trust the parents to do well by them unless we have evidence that they were not. Now we more often believe that parents should not be trusted to make choices for their kids if the decision can be avoided till the kid gets to be 18, 21, or 45 years old. we should also have the state closely monitor the parents to make sure the parents are following the state wishes on child raising.

my view on the cutting is that medical evidence on the whole strongly suggests that circumcision is good for the human race, and that it should be strongly encouraged. as a humane sort of guy I also think it should be done when it is a non traumatic of a few seconds as possible, which means that it should be done at near birth.
biomedicallibrarian

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 09:47 am
@hawkeye10,
wow! Medical evidence strongly suggests that circumcision is good for the human race! I think things that are good for the human race are just peachy!

So tell me about the strong suggesting that this medical evidence is doing! The human race will likely never miss its foreskin. Why, if we asked the human race to name just one thing it would sacrifice from its body in exchange for something good for it that medical evidence strongly suggests, I'm sure the human race wouldn't hesitate half a heart beat before saying "oooh oooh! I know! Can I sacrifice parts of my genitals? Do they count? Do they? I've always hoped there'd be a good excuse to permanently destroy parts of my genitals and now it sounds like medical evidence has strongly suggested one! Oh do hurry! I'm worried I might grow up and change my mind."
0 Replies