Packs of Poison now to be Marketed like Heroin under command of the FDA

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 12:59 pm
Quote:
Federal health officials Wednesday unveiled plans to require cigarette packs and ads to carry dramatically bigger, much more graphic health warnings, including for the first time images that might depict dead bodies, cancer patients and diseased lungs.

The new warnings, which will mark the first replacement of warnings that cigarette packs began carrying 25 years ago, will cover half the front and back of each pack and 20 percent of the top of each ad.

"Today marks an important milestone in protecting our children and the health of the American public," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/10/AR2010111003255.html?hpid=topnews

Laying aside the insanity of claiming that cigs are poison but then not being willing to outlaw them (and what I think needs t change is the claim of poison, not the lawful distribution), I am sensing that the FDA has no understanding of what motivates either kids or smokers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,557 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:11 pm
and what should be printed on the side of ice cream and oreos packages? pictures of obese people? a diabetic needle?

This will never stand up in court.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:15 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
This will never stand up in court.
as I recall a law was passed a year or two ago that specifically envisions this mandate from the FDA. If the courts overturn this they will go against both of the other branches of government. Also, the gig makers have already challanged another section of this law and I think I heard that they lost.

I dont think your counting on the courts to provide a remedy is a good bet.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
actually, the lawsuit was exactly on point
Quote:
A group of tobacco companies has filed a lawsuit claiming that the new federal law giving the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is unconstitutional, the Wall Street Journal reported Sept. 1.

Firms including Reynolds American and Lorillard claim that the law infringes upon their First Amendment rights by expanding the size of warning labels on cigarette packs and hindering their ability to market products like smokeless tobacco as less risky than smoking.

"The case will be about whether Congress has gone too far about preventing tobacco companies from communicating with adults, and keeping adults from receiving the information that tobacco companies want to send to them," said Lorillard attorney Floyd Abrams.

Altria, the parent company of Philip Morris, supported the FDA bill and is not a party to the lawsuit. "Our goal is to work constructively with the FDA around some of our concerns," regarding advertising and marketing restrictions, a company spokesperson said.

The lawsuit could delay implementation of the law.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2009/tobacco-companies-sue-fda.html
0 Replies