presumably = probably? = most likely?

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:08 am
If so, how you locate them?

Another question:

on a regulatory basis = with a regulatory machanism?

Context:
The question is however: how does this activity shape the morphology of the whole organism? "Using various experiments, we were able to demonstrate that this RNA family plays a key role in mammary gland development and we could locate where these molecules presumably intervene on a regulatory basis," explains Chowdhury.

More:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101109095433.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,919 • Replies: 27
No top replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:40 am
@oristarA,
Words like "presume" and "appears to be" infer that they've developed a hypothesis that needs further study before it can be proven.

Quote:
The connective tissue also appears to be the location where miR-212 and miR-132 are produced and intervene in the developmental process. Chowdhury and his colleague Ahmet Ucar were able to demonstrate with their experiments that this is the only place where the genes for these ribonucleic acid molecules are "switched on" in the breast tissue.

"on a regulatory basis = with a regulatory machanism?"

Yes, but it's mechanism
oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:43 am
@JPB,
If that was a hypothesis, how could the researchers say " we could locate "? That is why I get confused.
JPB

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:51 am
@oristarA,
It comes down to an experimental model, data, and conclusions. They ran an experiment with a particular model, collected data, and drew some conclusions, which are now being stated as fact couched in fuzzy terms like "appears to" and "presumably".

Quote:
According to the researcher's model, the microRNA molecules appear to control the production of a protein called MMP-9. "The microRNAs can down-regulate the production of MMP-9, like a dimmer switch," explains Ucar. If the microRNAs are missing, more MMP-9 proteins are produced and they accumulate near the milk ducts. They appear to activate a signalling pathway there, which prevents the normal growth of the milk ducts in the glandular tissue. "These tiny RNA molecules carry out their regulatory function by influencing the communication between the two tissues of the mammary gland," says Ucar.

Additional studies by other researchers will be done to try to disprove the model (hopefully prove it by failing to disprove it) and then continue on with the next round of hypotheses.

Quote:
Other experiments now need to be carried out to examine whether these microRNAs also regulate breast development in humans. At the moment, the scientists can only speculate about what happens when the microRNAs do not function correctly.
JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:39 pm
@oristarA,
presumably = probably? = most likely?

What do you mean by "If so, how you locate them?", Ori?

First,

probably = likely = should [as regards the epistemic certainty level but not the usage]

'probably/likely/should' occupy a level of certainty range that equates to above 50% to somewhere around 90%.

This scale will show you the relative epistemic modal/periphrastic modal level of certainty range:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
110% intensifiying adverbs [eg definitely, with verbs of 100% certainty, eg will/would/be going to/etc

100% [verbs of 100% certainty, eg will/would/be going to/etc]

90 to 99% almost certainly/must

51 to 89% probably/likely/should

26 to 50% may

1 to 25% might

0% [negated verbs of certainty will not/ etc

-10% intensifiying adverbs/adverbial phrases [eg 'definitely', with verbs of 100% certainty, eg will/would/be going to/etc

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Though the two modal verbs 'must' and 'should' equal the epistemic range of their counterparts [see scale], they are used in different situations. The semi-modal/periphrastic modal forms, eg almost certainly/probably/likely, are used for more pure speculation whereas the modal 'should' is used when there is some greater intimate knowledge of a subject.

Imagine that JPB and me are asked about her husband's whereabouts at different times of the day. I don't know much of anything about either of them.

Because JPB has personal knowledge of her husband, she would likely express it with 'should' or 'must', "he should be at work"; "he must be at the golf course", whereas I, not having personal knowledge, and even if I had the necessary knowledge to put me in the 'probably/likely/should' range, I might well use 'probably' or 'likely' as it's more speculative on my part.

Similarly, a scientist or someone else with intimate/greater knowledge of an experiment or a process, again may well use, "This should work" whereas someone with less familiarity may use, "This likely will work".

There is a similar connection for 'must' but because it has a different meaning, it functions in a slightly different way than does 'should'.

Epistemic/level of certainty 'must' means "With all the information I presently have, my logical deduction is that ..." .

Because these modals cover such a wide range of certainty, we have intensifiers such as 'most' to show that our sense of sureness is higher or lower in each specific range. In speech we can also add emphasis/intonation to these words to show a position within each specific range, for example,

I miiiiiiight go to Tokyo next month, but moooost probably, my boss will send me to London.

So, most likely = most probably.

'could' and 'can' do not express a specific range so they don't fit in the 0% to 100% scale. All they say is "It's possible that ...". In your example. below, 'could', in bold, can be paraphrased as,

it's possible that we can/could locate

Context:
The question is however: how does this activity shape the morphology of the whole organism? "Using various experiments, we were able to demonstrate that this RNA family plays a key role in mammary gland development and we could locate where these molecules presumably intervene on a regulatory basis," explains Chowdhury.

So, now to 'presumably'. As you know, this is all speculative. Modal verbs and periphrastic or semi-modals, when used epistemically, are used to convey an individual's sense of certainty.

What this person is saying with 'presumably' is this,

"Using various experiments, we were able to demonstrate that this RNA family plays a key role in mammary gland development and it's possible that we could locate where these molecules probably [or even] most probably intervene on a regulatory basis,"

Note that they got to this point, Ori, by 'various experiments'. These experiments told them things that raised their level of certainty pretty high. I will suggest from the limited context that I have that some of them could be [=by my thinking, it's possible] very close to a 'must/almost certainly' which would be expressed by,

"Using various experiments, we were able to demonstrate that this RNA family plays a key role in mammary gland development and it's possible that we could locate where these molecules almost certainly/must intervene on a regulatory basis,"

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 01:48 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
which are now being stated as fact couched in fuzzy terms like "appears to" and "presumably".

Those fuzzy terms are qualifiers of fact, JPB, because the scientists don't want them, at this point, to be taken as fact. Two of the ways that we have to express such a situation is with adverbs and modal verbs.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 02:43 pm
@JTT,
This,

-10% intensifiying adverbs/adverbial phrases [eg 'definitely', with verbs of 100% certainty, eg will/would/be going to/etc

should have read,

-10% intensifiying adverbs/adverbial phrases [eg 'definitely', with negated verbs of 100% certainty, eg will/would/be going to/etc

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 10:35 pm
Thank you both.

The two tissues = the milk duct and what?

Quote:
They appear to activate a signalling pathway there, which prevents the normal growth of the milk ducts in the glandular tissue. "These tiny RNA molecules carry out their regulatory function by influencing the communication between the two tissues of the mammary gland," says Ucar.
NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 10:41 pm
How is this relevant at all?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:02 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

I have no idea, Ori, as it doesn't say and certainly I'm no expert on what goes on inside of mammaries or mammary glands.
NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:04 pm
I got an idea! Who cares? Why don't we go masturbate, it feels better.
JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:08 pm
@NAACP,
The ESL/EFLs who are trying to better understand and use English care.
NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:10 pm
@JTT,
Can you not already FULLY communicate whith every individual you now know or ever will? Where's the need to better understand English?
dadpad

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:12 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

I have no idea, Ori, as it doesn't say and certainly I'm no expert on what goes on inside of mammaries or mammary glands.

milk duct and glandular tissue, I think JTT.

Quote:
which prevents the normal growth of the milk ducts in the glandular tissue.
JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:13 pm
@NAACP,
You have to understand what ESL/EFL means in order for you to grasp the significance of what I told you, N.
NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:14 pm
@JTT,
No. YOU need to read my posts, silly. What's the point of understanding English beyond the use of communication?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:15 pm
Dont feed the chooks JTT. They only scatch for more.
JTT

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:16 pm
@dadpad,
You're probably right, Dadpad.
NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:17 pm
@dadpad,
And you seek to learn into a bottomless pit, to no avail.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:17 pm
@JTT,
That's right, feed on his thoughts.........as you can't possibly counteract what I previously stated.
0 Replies