I have a beagle and I need to know is it better to have two rather than one

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 05:30 pm
Hi I own a very cute bitch beagle called honey she is 3months old I have had her for about a month.The problem is we cant even let her into the house without her chewing up wires,eating dropped food,bouncing all over the house , Biting us is the biggest one.She also messes up my garden and finds a hole into the next door neighbours garden. So i was wondering is it better to have two to keep her calm.Please Help Because if she does not behave in another month my dad says we are going to sell her so I need urgent help.THANKYOU IF YOU READ THIS

Green Witch

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 05:39 pm
@James4683,
She's bored and poorly supervised. Beagles need a lot of exercise and someone to teach them what is acceptable behavior. She is still a puppy and should not be left alone for long periods of time. A puppy should not be left alone outside at all. I think your family might not be a dog family. Dogs require a lot of time and attention. Maybe you should find her a good home and explore getting a cat.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:10 pm
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@James4683,
There are plenty of training videos on you tube. I like this guy Gary Jackson, he's clear and keeps it simple.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:17 pm
@James4683,
There is also a web site called, www.beaglesavvy.com Good Luck.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:18 pm
My theory is that the more beagles, the better. But, I'm probably biased.

She needs to be crated while you are gone. Supervised while she is out of the crate. Corrected with a sharp "NO!" and (no hitting with your hand) removed from the area when she chews. Make sure she goes straight from the crate out to her specific potty area in the yard so she learns when and where to go.

Honestly, two wouldn't be better if you don't have time to train one. She'll catch on quickly if you are consistent.

We've had beagles for years. They aren't destructive or hyperactive. For now, she's a puppy. She needs things to chew in her crate because she is working her baby teeth.
roger

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:35 pm
@squinney,
How could anyone with an honest looking avatar like that be biased?
ragnel

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:37 pm
@roger,
Tis always better to choose the lesser of two beagles..
roger

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:39 pm
@ragnel,
I don't know about dogs. One cat seems definately better than two. I have two.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:59 pm
Chewers can definitely be a problem. My husband ordered some shirts from his Viper club. He waited for weeks to get them. I came home the other day and guess what? His shirts came in! But Tippy had chewed the package open and had drug his shirts and hat to his treasure trove. One shirt survived. I have six dogs so I'm not sure having company is going to help. I'd seek some help from a good dog trainer.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:32 am
@James4683,
I have six dogs. Your girl needs a four-legged friend for company. She is currently destructive due to bordom.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 05:38 pm
Oh, you are going to have to be very dedicated to this dog, a Beagle. He needs BIG exercise, like big-time fetching outdoors, preferrably from a lake. Dog obedience school, because you must teach these dogs they simply cannot howl when in your back yard. Get two and you'll have double-howling. Give him tons of bones, old shoes.

We've had several wild nutty dogs (Labrador, Jack Russels, Samoyeds)but we liked exercising them, teaching them whatever they needed. We also had a small farm, horses, a goat. If you can't hack it, it may be kinder to sell this dog to somebody like me.
squinney

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:55 pm
@Pemerson,
Ha! Beagles generally don't fetch...

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/129189723212762330.jpg

If we are interested in finding something, we'll sniff it out. Keep us on a leash, cause once our nose starts working our ears don't. With that in mind, one of the first things to teach her is "Come."

She's probably a bit young for any real training. She needs another month or so to mature. But, you can play with her and work with her on paying attention to you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:57 pm
@James4683,
Hi James.

Does anyone in your family have experience working with puppies?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 04:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Pacco looked at me as a crazed woman when I tossed some things for him to fetch. I suppose I could have trained him somehow, but his interest was very low, in contrast to a certain cairn terrier (neighbor's dog, Jock) who would fetch in an unlimited way. The human would be very tired first.

Dogs differ, and the internet has a lot of information on breeds and behavior and training. Some part of the information is contradictory. (I and others here, for example, are cautious about you folks getting a second beagle, given little knowledge of how to deal with the first one.) Squinney has raised beagles galore, and others posting are quite smart about dogs and training.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 05:09 pm
Hi Di Hi Di Hi
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:30 am
Quote:
I have a beagle and I need to know is it better to have two rather than one
Beagle - thats a very large bird on all the flags isnt it ? No, I think one should be enough but I guess it all depends on how hungry you are, the number of guests, entrees, that sort of thing.

Hope I have helped.
0 Replies

James4683

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:05 pm
@Green Witch,
thank you for your help!!
James4683

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:06 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
thank you for your help!!

0 Replies

James4683