Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:53 am
@JTT,
You are the Ignoranus, JTT
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:57 am
@H2O MAN,
H2oman's first substantive response:

Quote:
That's a load of liberal bullshit right there.

H2oman's second substantive response:

Quote:
Serious bullshit! Seriously.

H2oman's third substantive response:

Quote:
You are the Ignoranus, JTT

When you get on a roll, there's just no stopping you, is there, h2oman?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:02 am
JTT has no friends and he sleeps with goats.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:21 pm
@H2O MAN,
4th substantive response, h2oboy.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:01 pm

JTT is your basic steaming pile of solid waste... avoid stepping in JTT and you will be fine.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
5th substantive response, h2oboy.

As a running total, I have no idea except to say "all of them".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:40 pm
Reports today, based on comments made by several Republican leaders in the House, make it clear that they will NOT be pushing for the privatization of Medicare. It is effectively dead at this point.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Awe, shucks. Another opportunity lost for the "liberals."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Awe, shucks. Another opportunity lost for the "liberals."

No, it isn't - the House already voted to approve that plan! Dems will hang it around Republican necks in the next cycle and choke them with it.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:53 pm
Not only that, but the push to repeal or defund the Afforadable Care Act is effectively dead as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/health-care-repeal-dead-republican_n_858015.html

Quote:
Rep. Dave Camp (R-Mich.), chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, acknowledged Thursday that Republican plans to repeal President Barack Obama's signature health care law were "dead." Instead, Camp predicted, the GOP would turn its focus to overturning the most controversial portion of that legislation: the mandate requiring individuals to buy insurance.

"Obviously, I voted to repeal the bill and you pretty much know where I am on replacement because I put out a bill last year on that," Camp said. "Is the repeal dead? I don't think the Senate is going to do it, so I guess, yes."

Sure, get rid of the mandate but keep the onerous restrictions on private insurance companies! I'm totally down with that, because nothing will bring about socialized HC in our society faster.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 02:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Voters have short memory spans; the next election is still too far to predict its outcome.

The way to really gain traction against the conservatives is to list what they've been doing during Obama's first term.

a) right to life; no abortions. Take away the woman and doctor's right to make the right decision.
b) destroy public unions.
c) give more tax cuts to the rich as our national deficit increases.
d) do nothing on immigration.
e) kill Medicare as we know it.
f) kill social security as we know it.
g) kill Obamacare.
h) continue to fight same sex marriage. (We have more important pressing issues in this country.)

1. block most or all of legislation coming out of congress.
2. support wars, but don't pay for them.
3. 100% no votes on legislation; no compromise.
4. promised jobs during their campaign; they haven't mentioned or acted on jobs since taking over the House.
5. falsely blaming Obama for the unemployment rate. A) they wanted Obama to become a miracle worker after GW Bush left the world in a Great Recession, and B) they are confused about TARP (first one approved by GW Bush)
6. the No Party and Tea Party are hindering progress for the American people. show the voters that the conservatives and tea party are making every effort to show Obama is a failure (by blocking legislation) rather than to make progress for all Americans; list each one.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 02:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
... because nothing will bring about socialized HC in our society faster.

Not 'socialized' so much as equitable.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 09:48 am
Quote:
May 11, 2011 10:40 AM

Boehner’s functionally illiterate on economic policy

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) appears to have made a terrible error in his speech to the Economic Club of New York on Monday. His mistake was sharing with the audience his actual beliefs, which upon even cursory examination, are so conspicuously unintelligent, it’s rather alarming.

Bloomberg News examined Boehner’s assessment of existing U.S. economic policies and found that the House Speaker “built his case on several assertions that are contradicted by market indicators and government reports.” Jonathan Chait took a closer look at Boehner’s remarks on tax policy and discovered they were “gibberish.”

And the Washington Post’s Ruth Marcus scrutinized the speech and discovered that Boehner is relying on an “incoherent, impervious-to-facts economic philosophy.”

Quote:
Reporters naturally tend to ignore this boilerplate. Journalistically, that makes sense. Boehner’s economic comments were nothing particularly new. Indeed, they reflect what has become the mainstream thinking of the Republican Party. But that’s exactly the point. We become so inured to hearing this thinking that we neglect to point out how wrong it is.

My argument with Boehner is not that he believes in a more limited role for government than I do, not that he is more skeptical of government intervention and regulation, and not that he is more worried about the economically stifling implications of tax increases. Those are legitimate ideological differences. American politics is better off for them.

I’m talking about statements that are simply false.

This is very important, because it removes partisan and ideological concerns from the discussion. I’m a lefty and Boehner’s a righty, so naturally I won’t agree with his policies or agenda.

But that’s not what this is about. The House Speaker is presenting an economic vision based on fantasy, confusion, and lies. The man simply has no idea what he’s talking about.

Marcus, Bloomberg, and Chait walk through a striking list of bizarre errors of fact from Boehner. He said the economy will be worse off if the debt ceiling is raised without massive cuts. He thinks the Recovery Act “hurt” the economy. He believes the public sector is “crowding out” private investment. Boehner’s certain the economy “never” grows after a tax increase. He’s convinced Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac “triggered the whole meltdown” of the U.S. financial system.

These claims aren’t just wrong; they’re ridiculous. It has nothing to do with Democrats vs. Republicans, or left vs. right. This is Boehner vs. reality.

At an almost instinctual level, the political establishment tends to strongly resist this. I more or less understandable why — considering Boehner’s rhetoric at face value, and assuming he means what he says, is almost terrifying to think Boehner is so painfully confused.

But here we are. We’re left with the discomforting fact that it appears the Speaker of the House, Congress’ most powerful official, when dealing with the nation’s most important issue, is functionally illiterate, bringing the sophistication of a slow child to the debate.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_05/boehners_functionally_illitera029492.php

I think this piece by Benen (and Ruth Marcus by extension) is dead on in pointing out that we've become so inured to the line Republicans put out on the economy, people almost forget to notice that it's all bullshit and has been forever. Boehner was literally lying on several different points in the speech referenced above and was deeply confused about how our system actually works on other points.

Cycloptichorn
Fido

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 07:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Republicans put the economy in the toilet at every opportunity because they let their ideals think for them rather than giving a second thought to their ideals...If were possible to give them all knives in the womb they would each cut their own umbilical cord, thinking to play boy scout and practice knot tieing.... They do not realize how much of public money ends up making millionaires into zillionaires... It in not that the liberals in trying to ameliorate the worst effects of capitalism are doing anyone any good... Money given to the poor one day belongs to the rich the next, so nothing is changed, and the poor are as poor....If everything were given to the rich we would be forced to get rid of them as a class, and to return the wealth to the commonwealth... Better today than later... Putting it off prolongs our misery... Destroy the rich and prepare to do it again later...It is life...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:20 am
@Fido,
Wrong.
JTT

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:42 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Wrong.

Which do you figure was better this time, h2oman, your sources or your scintillating rebuttal?
Fido

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Wrong.

Which do you figure was better this time, h2oman, your sources or your scintillating rebuttal?
Or worser??? Some people rise to the occasion, and this is also true of trout... Who can blame h2 if he is working on a minamalist method of saying his usual nothing???
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:51 pm

Fido & JTT = two rotten peas in a pod... they are Competitive Projectile Vomitors.
Fido

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Fido & JTT = two rotten peas in a pod... they are Competitive Projectile Vomitors.
We all share the disease of a failing form, and only our symptoms are different.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 03:15 pm
@H2O MAN,
0 Replies