Targeted ads, are you ever bored by them?

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:51 pm
As many here know, I live in Albuquerque. Google knows that well. Somehow this permeates a lot of the sites I go to. What I want to know is, can I target my ad targeting? I suppose not, but would anyone else like that?

I'm so tired of seeing the pastel macaroons (bletch) available in my adopted home, and many other ABQ directed ads. I even suspect that all those smallprinted ads about dry eyes are because they know I have that in one eye. Or maybe that's coincidence. Maybe everyone is bombarded with those.

I'm not at the present time a potential buyer, but you never know, and in the meantime, I'd much rather see ads for travel guides to Tokyo or recent literature from South America or restaurants in Spain or crafted jewelry from, say, a back to school guy in canada that we know from a2k. I might even want to read about something available in Texas. There's a corgi rescue place there, I could look at the pictures.

Re ads I like, examples are in the New Yorker magazine. When my ship comes in, I might purchase from some of those small-space advertiser's wears.

I know that is pie in the sky as an idea. So, as a first step, is there anyway the marketed have a choice about the area they are marketed at?

I admit I understand the point of general area marketing. Still, even at that targeting, the variety is lame.

So, am I the only one feeling albuquerque'd? or Boise'd?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,738 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Heh, being in a somewhat remote community the targeting fails a bit as it seems to pick up the IP address of the nearest hub, so quite often I see ads for scantily clad single ladies 'waiting to chat' with me in the suburbs of Brisbane (roughly 1600 miles away) or on good days real estate in Townsville (only 250 miles away).

You're right, I think I'd find other countries ads much more interesting, and it is bizarre that going to the BBC site for premier league football I see ads for tonight's episode of NCIS on an Australian network.

Can't decide whether the technology of targeting is still being developed or whether the idea itself is fundamentally flawed.
djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:06 pm
wait, do you mean there aren't horny college girls in my area dying to meet me Sad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
At one time, I was checking out tire prices online. I couldn't come online without seeing ads for tires. That one seems related to advertisers selling my inquiries. Other than that, I do get lots of Albuquerque ads.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:35 pm
@roger,
Actually, I bet that was Google's behavioral targeting that they got on their own from your search history and from visits to other sites they have ads on (you probably visit few pages a day that they don't know about somehow).

If you don't like it you can opt out of their cookie using the following plugin and you should not see such behavioral ads again (though you may still see the location-centric ones, as they can serve those with no personal information about you based on your IP).

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin/

roger

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm going there and set them straight right now. Thanks

I had a few weeks of computer problems that left me having to log into all my usual "remember me" websites, including extra security measures on banking sites. Clearly, someone or someones were working from cookies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:00 pm
@hingehead,
Much as I was thinking, hinge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm listening but not clear. Trust me, the ads aren't re my search history. They are from whatever is going on where I post, from visits to/from me to other sites with such ads.

I'm not complaining about ads existing.

I'd just rather they be more interesting.
It all seems quite slappy.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 01:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I reread what you said, Robert, and I see you are likely right.
0 Replies