Meaning of sentence

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:49 pm
The impending visit of US President Barack Obama has generated a lot of excitement in the media. Ironically, this is at a time when the majority of the English-speaking global Indian business community thinks that the George W Bush administration was more favourably disposed to their interests than the present Obama regime.

Maybe it is these thoughts about statesmanship, the nation-State and the future of India Inc that made me buy the latest biography of Lee Kuan Yew, former prime minister of Singapore. Writings on Lee have always caught my attention in terms of lessons for India. In fact, while 'Bangalored' is becoming an adjective, 'Singapored' may become a contemplative verb.

What does the phrase in bold mean in relation to the sentence?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 584 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 11:24 am
@tanguatlay,
Could somebody please help?

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 03:37 pm
@tanguatlay,

Okay. The "ironically" refers to the fact that although the media are excited about the Obama visit, the business community thinks the previous American administration (under President G W Bush) was more inclined to be helpful towards India.

Quote:
Ironically, this is at a time when the majority of the English-speaking global Indian business community thinks that the George W Bush administration was more favourably disposed to their interests than the present Obama regime.

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 07:58 pm
@McTag,
Many thanks, McTag.
0 Replies