How hard is it to figure out you have been "ignored?"

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 12:22 am
Maybe I'm on some folks 'Ignore" list, but I sort of figure if they respond to something I've posted, I'm not.

I'd like to think that if I directed multiple posts at a member and they didn't respond, that I would figure out, before too long, that they've "Ignored" me.

I guess I could continue to respond to the posts of the people who have "Ignored" me; believing that the rest of the community wants to see what I've written, but that seems pretty pathetic.

Just wondering.

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:15 am
I don't use the ignore feature, but there are a few people whose tripe i ignore. Two of them in particular, and one from time to time, continue to respond to what i post, even though it is never addressed to them. Although i don't read their posts, i can tell they respond to what i've posted because of what other members write.

By and large, though, i find very few people are so lost to the sense of communnication, or so unrelievedly nasty as to warrant being ignored. I only know of one person who currently "ignores" me in the sense of using that feature. His BS is so often hilarious, that i still read his nonsense from time to time, and occasionally respond. Mostly, though, i agree with your sentiment that it would be pretty damned pathetic to respond to someone who obviouisly ignores what you post.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Maybe I'm on some folks 'Ignore" list....

You're not on my "ignore" list, Finn.
But then, only one (mostly long ago) poster is, these days.
Perhaps I should take him of my list, too? Make a clean breast of things? Wink
... Which is not to say I don't actually ignore some posters, by scrolling over their (usually multiple, completely irrelevant to the thread topic, posts) very quickly.

BTW I really appreciated your contributions to my "Fantasy literature 101" thread, a while back. Smile

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:42 am
@msolga,
Y'know, if it's done right, no one should even know they're being ignored, I figure.

Then again, I find it hilarious and also kinda pathetic when people get into high dudgeon mode and yell at each other -- all while responding over and over again -- that they have (or are putting) someone on ignore.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 04:20 am
I usually don't mention that i have or whom i have chosen to ignore. It only comes out if a member quotes to me another member whom i am ignoring, or asks why i haven't responded to them.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:19 am
Why are there no posts in this thread?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:20 am
Who said that?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:27 am
in my mind, just because someone ignores me, doesn't mean i have to ignore them
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think it would be hard to know you were on ignore unless a lot of people had you on ignore. If person A had you on ignore and you responded to their post, people B, C and D would respond to you, masking that A never took notice. I think Jes is right that you'd probably never notice.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:57 am

http://www.houseofzing.com/book/images/ignore.jpg
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 06:20 am
@engineer,
Well, my opinion differs there from Jes and Engineer

I believe, if you read a lot of the board, it can be fairly easy to see who ignores who(m)... especially after there's been a dust up of some sort! Also, whether they've used the ignore feature is immaterial IMO (other than for the person who used the feature for the purpose of not seeing someone's posts completely)... if someone ignores a direct question that you are asking - then pretty much, whether it's just because they don't wish to answer at that stage (or whatever) or because they have you on ignore, for all intents and purposes - you are ignored.

Then, agreeing with Set, if that happens I see little point in addressing that person directly again, in that particular thread and possibly in other threads.

If you need to get a point across then you use the reply to all - so even if you are being ignored you can still engage with other folk.

If you believe you're being ignored, you probably are! (even if the ignore button hasn't been pressed)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 06:22 am
I'd comment on the level-headed sanity of Izzie's post . . . but i've decided to ignore her.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 06:28 am
<looks around> . . . i'm sure i heard something . . . no no. . . surely not. . . i must ignore those noises in my head!

<waves in an ignoring fashionable way to the far off shores of Tranna...>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 08:05 am
It's a poser for sure, I noticed that when Finn and Okie announced they had put meself and Setanta on ignore while continuing to respond to our posts, I became curious. What was their intent in announcing their actions of ignoring and then not doing such? I concluded that they needed the personal/public drama and didn't know how else to get it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 08:52 am
I find the ignore feature useful in more ways than one. I keep it on a few posters so that they don't appear on some threads that are important to me. But, I 'peek' at their posts on other threads. A few I keep in my own version of oblivion, because their attitudes and/or opinions are more than I can bear. A few others, I have on ignore, simply because I do not want to argue with them all the time. In the last category, some get ignored just periodically. So, yes, I like having that feature.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 12:11 pm
I don't often respond to posts that are full of rude remarks. Maybe that is how others react to them also. If you suspect this is happening to you, you could test it by changing your posting style to see if you get more responses.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 01:53 pm
When someone who you have on ignore creates a new topic, it is nice to know there is one thread you will not bother to read while scanning the "new topics" list.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:01 pm
Sometimes, I will uncollapse someone's post, and maybe even reply to it, so you never know if you are on my list. Mostly, though, when I uncollapse the post of someone I have on ignore, my original judgement is confirmed.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:31 pm
@roger,
My ignore list goes up and down like a musical interlude, not a steady tone. I cull it from time to time as I mostly use it as a benefit to me, re aggravation quotient, AQ, and sometimes I am less aggravation prone than other times.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:23 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Mostly, though, when I uncollapse the post of someone I have on ignore, my original judgement is confirmed.

Crying or Very sad
words hurt, roger, words hurt

Razz