How hard is it to figure out you have been "ignored?"

spidergal

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 08:53 am
I would never put anyone on ignore ever I think. If I did, for whatever reason, I would be constantly nagged by the feeling that I'm missing out on something.

But that's just me, I guess.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:41 am
I only have 1 person on ignore, and I wont say who that person is.
I figure if someone deserves to be ignored, its just easy to scroll past what they write.
It has to be something very serious for me to put someone on ignore, and only 1 person has ever met that criteria.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:46 am
The only people I have on ignore are those who deserve it.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:00 pm
@Green Witch,
I now have 157 posters on ignore, I'm near the point of being unable to post because I have no one to post to. It's down to just me and farmerman trading recipes on corn pone and pepper sauce.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:35 pm
@djjd62,
Then you should not be uncollapsing my posts, should you?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:03 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, corn pone and better sauce sounds thrillingly nourishing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 02:13 pm
Something struck me a minute ago. I went down to the kitchen to cut up a pumpkin for roasting and to make pie crust. I turned on the radio to listen to Prairie Home Companion while I worked.

Many years ago, when I was married, I lost interest in PHC and preferred listening to a program called Celtic Twilight, aired then (and still) on another PBS affiliate on Saturday nights. I'd listen in the kitchen as I made dinner.

My ex-husband would listen in the living room on the stereo. Because I was a mom with still young kids, I was in and out, doing laundry and other things. Every time I left the kitchen, or nearly every time, my ex would come in for some reason, realize that I was tuned to another station and dial to the one that carried Prairie.

This went on for six months. I never said anything because talking to him did no good. Finally, he realized, one day after he had switched my radio to PHC that, perhaps, I wanted to listen to Celtic music. I came up from the basement, he turned to look at me as Garrison went on with his monologue. "Don't you listen to this guy anymore?" I told him that I had stopped listening months ago as I preferred listening to Irish music while I cooked.

I think, were he on this forum, he wouldn't realize he was being ignored.

The other thought I had is that if A is put on ignore by B, perhaps, A is just as happy not to be harangued and insulted by B.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 03:27 pm
I'll respond to a post from someone who seems to be ignoring me. To me this is like a congregation of folk talking, one person not more important than the others. If one person says something that is useful to the discussion i have no problem using it to further discussion, even if i know the person who said it is determined to ignore me. They are just one person, their will maters, but not more than mine, and there is the health of the wider discussion that is more important than both of us.

to answer the question, it is difficult to figure out who is ignoring my posts to the point that they are not reading them, but it does not matter much so I dont care.
djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
to answer the question, it is difficult to figure out who is ignoring my posts to the point that they are not reading them, but it does not matter much so I dont care.

exactly

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
There are many reasons for ignoring posters. I am more likely to put a contributor on ignore for how that contributor treats third parties. There is one poster I put on ignore because I am convinced that person is crazy and reading the writing of someone I believe to be unbalanced isn't good for one's psyche.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:05 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:
I would never put anyone on ignore ever I think. If I did, for whatever reason, I would be constantly nagged by the feeling that I'm missing out on something.

But that's just me, I guess.

I don't think it's just you. There was a member who made a big deal of putting me on ignore, but since that time has occasionally gotten worked up about something i have posted. Obviously, he peeked . . .
spidergal

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 10:24 am
@Setanta,
I can imagine why someone would want to put you on ignore, but then they'd miss half the fun on A2K.
Ceili

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 10:44 am
I've put two on ignore, one's vile the other's beyond stupid. I could care less if someone put me on ignore. There are billions of potential readers for any post, I don't consider it a loss on either person if a few choose to pass on by.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 10:54 am
@spidergal,
In the specific case which i had in mind, the member stated that Europe was at peace from 1815 until the outbreak of the First World War, and i responded with the contempt such a stupid comment deserved. Imagine my surprise then, when that member responded by saying he knew there was a reason why he had "put [me] on ignore." Another member observed that it was probably because i made him look like an idiot.

It certainly is often fun for me!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:32 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I now have 157 posters on ignore,

I actually have 204 people on ignore, but that's because for a while I put every crossword/word game/word search/Lovatt's thread starter on ignore. Then I figured out they only ever start the one thread.

I have maybe five regular posters on ignore, mainly for offensive language and/or continually attacking people.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@dyslexia,
Do I really have to explain this to you again Dys?

When I "announced" I put you on ignore I actually did. The "announcement" as you call it was part of a thread I started to discuss what to do when you got really sick of another member's posts. At the time, you were a perfect example.

As I've already explained to you, not long afterward, I changed my mind and took you off ignore.

Man you have a obsession with this subject. If you want me to ignore you, just ask.

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Man you have a obsession with this subject.

That's pretty damned funny. You started this thread, not Dys. I've never heard a peep from him on this subject, until you started this thread. Thanks for the laughs, Bubba.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
well yes Finn I would like you to put me on ignore and I would especially like it if you make a public spectacle of yourself (once again) by making your ignoring me a thread/post here on a2k.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 09:40 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
There was a member who made a big deal of putting me on ignore, but since that time has occasionally gotten worked up about something i have posted. Obviously, he peeked . . .

There was definitely more than one, Setanta. You, for example.

How you can whine about others in words that describe your behavior to a T is truly astonishing. Have you got a brain block or something?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:30 am
What is being ignored here is that there are times when putting a poster on ignore is the only adult thing to do.
0 Replies