How hard is it to figure out you have been "ignored?"

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:38 am
Just read another thread and discovered another reason for putting folks on ignore: they post the same tripe over and over and over. I don't have the poster who inspired this on ignore, but, given his lack of originality (he often posts your statements back to you) and his single-mindedness, I should click the ignore button on his profile.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I will not be ignored!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZHe3GYQp_8
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I do not think it is pathetic to respond to posts made by people who ignore you. After all, what's the difference if person ignores you or is incapable of understanding you? If you participate because of interest in the topic it doesn't matter if another participant ignores you, because it is about the topic, to which none of you can claim ownership. Which makes an ignore function on a forum such as this ridiculous.

What is truly pathetic is to put you on ignore without informing you.

And what's even more pathetic is if someone puts you on ignore, but continues to make posts to you or to other members about you, or to invade and hijack your threads with unrelated bs, as mr Fil Alberquerk has done to me.

In my opinion an ignore function on a forum intended for the free exchange of ideas and thought goes directly against the very purpose of the forum, because the people who are likely to use it are the very people who's input is being overlooked because it simply isn't relevant.

In addition to these opinions,I do not use the ignore function for one very practical reason. If I ignore people who participate in a discussion I run the risk of losing the coherency of progression and may come to misunderstand responses made by others.

I really think they should have the ignore function removed.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:11 am
@Cyracuz,
Upon reading the post I made I realize that I posted it before it was completely ready.

This. :"because the people who are likely to use it are the very people who's input is being overlooked because it simply isn't relevant." ... is the tail end of a consideration I wrote down to examine, and unfortunately I forgot to erase it, and instead somehow tagged it on to another sentence.

What I mean to say with that paragraph is just: "In my opinion an ignore function on a forum intended for the free exchange of ideas and thought goes directly against the very purpose of the forum".
The "because" does not belong, and is not really a specification of why an igonre function doesn't belong.
Sorry for the error and the hassle it creates.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:03 pm
@Cyracuz,
Hear hear!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:00 am
I think a pretty indicator about whether you're being ignored or not can sometimes be found at the end of threads.
Are you the last poster all the time? Even on those really busy, popular threads?
Did you post 2 or 3 (or more) times, even, before that last post?
And no one responded?
Yep, you're being ignored. Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:26 am
@msolga,
Some of my threads rarely get many responses, but they do get lots of views. So, one offsets the other. I know I get ignored, but not by everybody.
msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh I would never ignore you, edgar! Smile

But I agree with you about the number of "views". Sometimes people might keep coming back to a thread because they're interested, but may not actually have anything they want to contribute themselves.

(But that isn't what I meant by my post! Wink )
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:33 am
@msolga,
I did not intend it that way, olga. Sorry for any confusion.
msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:41 am
@edgarblythe,
No problem at all, edgar. Smile
I understand exactly what you're saying & I agree with you...

But how often do you find yourself the last poster on any thread (which isn't one of yours), possibly after a couple of preceding posts of yours, as well ?
I meant to say that if this is a common occurrence, one might suspect one was being ignored. Wink
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:49 am
@msolga,
i'm stubborn enough that it wouldn't stop me from posting

i've never stopped posting to people who ignore me, after all they're ignoring me, not the other way around
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:50 am
@msolga,
Or, alternately, the thread was played out.
All too often, argumentive threads outlive their usefulness by many hundreds of responses. I would be proud if I managed to kill any of them.
msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 04:53 am
@edgarblythe,
I do know what you mean, edgar.
But I will be tactful & say no more. Wink
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think people might be attracted to the headline, then read the thread and decide there is nothing for them in it.
0 Replies