H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:35 pm
NPR Ends Williams' Contract After Muslim Remarks

http://media.npr.org/about/people/bios/biophotos/jwilliams.jpg?t=1248648287&s=2

contrex

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:45 pm
NPR (rightly) fires bigots who spout their views on air, whatever their race, and Mr. Water-On-The-Brain certainly realises this. However he is being disingenuous because of his infantile need for attention.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 04:24 pm
NPR = Racists & Bigots.

a.k.a. Obama Democrats
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:15 am
H2O Man fails to answer... as usual.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:45 am
@contrex,
Answer: Because he is black.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:04 am
NPR fired a guy for stating that he gets nervous when seeing someone in muslim garb boarding a plane he is about to get on. And contrex thinks that makes the guy a bigot?

This is exactly what is wrong with many (notice I said many, not all or even most) liberals. They immediately go to name calling and labeling people for stating a viewpoint without regard for the reasons someone may have for a viewpoint. Williams is no more a bigot than I assume contrex is. He simply stated he is more nervous when flying with someone in muslim garb. I'm betting most people feel the same way. That's not bigotry, that is human nature based on what is going on in the world today.

djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:07 am
@CoastalRat,
and even if it makes him a bigot (i don't think it does, perhaps reactionary), i'd rather know his views than not know them, that's what bugs me about this type of thing
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:00 am
"This is Orwellian stuff."

Billionaire Soros Pays for Additional Reporters for NPR Partner Initiative
djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:17 am
@H2O MAN,
anyone who believes any media source is a fool
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 01:36 pm
Quote:
He simply stated he is more nervous when flying with someone in muslim garb. I'm betting most people feel the same way. That's not bigotry, that is human nature based on what is going on in the world today.

He also said that people in Muslim garb identify themselves first and foremost as Muslim. So, in his mind he's made this connection with Muslims, a certain kind of dress that he terms "Muslim garb," and fear of, I suppose, terrorism. He's stereotyping--which is a process of prejudice forming--Muslims. That defines the word 'bigot': One who is intolerant of or prejudiced against those who differ from one's own group. You're just trying to justify it by waving it off as "human behavior," and claiming that because most people feel the same way, it isn't bigotry. Majority opinion is irrelevant to whether a view or idea is bigoted.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:09 pm
Is Williams on the NPR payroll 24/7?
Was he speaking as a representative of NPR?

I have a problem when an employer monitors its employees outside of work, but I guess this goes under the idea that there is extra responsiblity required from the privileged.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:12 pm
@H2O MAN,

Well, billionaire Murdoch now pays a fired NPR man - I'm sure, that's what you call Orwellian stuff, too
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:50 pm
@contrex,
How about NPR "correspondents" (as opposed to the "analyst" title Williams bore) who express the opinion that cosmic justice will be served by a conservative politician OR HIS GRANDCHILD coming down with AIDs?

Hey, if NPR wants to fire Juan for violating one of their policies, that's fine with me. If they want to fire him because he isn't liberal enough or appears on FOX, that's also fine with me. The doctrine of Employment At Will allows for such capricious decisions, but spare me all the sanctimonious bullcrap and admit to the bias everyone knows exists.

NPR makes a big deal out of the fact that government funding is only a (small) part of what keeps them afloat.

Fine, but they don't deserve a dime of our taxes and no matter how small our contribution may be they shouldn't get any of it.

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Fine, but they don't deserve a dime of our taxes and no matter how small our contribution may be[sic] they shouldn't get any of it.

I agree, Finn. That tax money should go to something worthwhile, say like supporting terrorist actions against some poor third world country, preferably one with something that y'all can steal just so that there's no overall loss.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
You are just stoking the fire.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:10 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

NPR fired a guy for stating that he gets nervous when seeing someone in muslim garb boarding a plane he is about to get on. And contrex thinks that makes the guy a bigot?

The point of the whole thing is that Williams was trying to say that it was perfectly appropriate to be nervous when you see a bunch of Muslim dudes on a plane. That that nervousness is appropriate, and that nobody should feel bad about feeling that way.

But, that's wrong. We all know that we shouldn't judge people by groups; if somebody said the same thing about Blacks on the bus, or on an airplane, they would instantly be labeled a racist and kicked off of whatever job they had. Or Jews, hell, especially them. I didn't see a single ******* Conservative come to Rick Scott's defense when he made off-hand comments about Jews running most of the media (which does happen to be true). Instead he was pilloried, labeled an anti-Semite and kicked off his network, all to the sound of clapping from the Right-wing media and blogs. Who now are in a total uproar when the same thing happened to one of their own.

The fact of the matter is that many Conservatives (and some Liberals) think that it's perfectly okay to feel nervous about ALL Muslims they see - despite the fact that we all know that it's wrong to lump people together like that.

Quote:
That's not bigotry, that is human nature based on what is going on in the world today.

You're wrong; the events of the modern world have caused the lazy-minded to feel this way. It IS latent bigotry, and it's wrong to do. If Williams had come out and admitted that this was something that was a problem, even though he couldn't help himself for feeling that way, that would be one thing. But he did the opposite, and the same thing that you are doing: saying that such feelings are justified somehow by the actions of a tiny, tiny minority of that group. That simply isn't true.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:11 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
He simply stated he is more nervous when flying with someone in muslim garb. I'm betting most people feel the same way. That's not bigotry, that is human nature based on what is going on in the world today.

I am pretty sure that this has indeed been documented as fact. In any case, it is easy enough to put science on the question to find out. we would have a definitive answer with in weeks.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:19 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
and even if it makes him a bigot (i don't think it does, perhaps reactionary), i'd rather know his views than not know them, that's what bugs me about this type of thing
Absent a strong impulse to be non biased and a willingness to forgo individuality and individual rights in the pursuit of the craft of journalism by the majority of journalists, damn straight. The days of Cronkite where we had the drive with in the craft to only report documented facts are over, because the public will no longer tolerate this, we want emotion and flavor in out news now. This has some to do with the disdain we hold for elites, but it is more complicated, for instance we no longer have the self control required to appreciate old style journalism.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
He also said that people in Muslim garb identify themselves first and foremost as Muslim.
It follows from such an act diminishing from the individual. This act is not well received, a person who does this act of dressing in Muslim garb lowers their value in public interaction....it is fair to assume that only the people who care about maintaining a muslim identity would be willing to pay the price required for doing so.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Well, billionaire Murdoch now pays a fired NPR man - I'm sure, that's what you call Orwellian stuff, too
So far as I know FOX is a business not a charity like PBS. You calling the two organization models equivalent is where your argument fails, because you are wrong.