plainoldme

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 08:03 pm
No, but NPR would find you ridiculous.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So far as I know FOX is a business not a charity like PBS.

As far as you know; like in most situations that isn't very far, Hawk. Fox is the preeminent carrier for government propaganda in the USA. PBS is not a charity.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:49 am
Williams violated NPR's code of ethics which is why he was fired.

Quote:
Unbiased means that we separate our personal opinions - such as an individual's religious beliefs or political ideology - from the subjects we are covering. We do not approach any coverage with overt or hidden agendas.

http://www.vpr.net/inside_vpr/mission/code_of_ethics/

Note: "such as" does not mean limited to. Overall they are treat the people they cover and their listeners with respect and not give personal opinions.

Quote:
Our coverage must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest. As NPR journalists, we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness. We must treat the people we cover and our listeners with respect.

Fairness means that we present all important views on a subject - and treat them even-handedly. This range of views may be encompassed in a single story on a controversial topic, or it may play out over a body of coverage or series of commentaries. But at all times the commitment to presenting all important views must be conscious and affirmative, and it must be timely if it is being accomplished over the course of more than one story.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 04:41 pm
@revelette,

And you don't believe Nina Totenberg or Cokie Roberts have violate this policy, or do you believe it's OK for NPR to enforce the policy unfairly?

revelette

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I have no idea since I don't listen to NPR and don't have a clue to who those are. I read the article, remember their spokesperson saying something about their code of ethics and googled their code of ethics-turns out he did violate it.
0 Replies