The PC sword strikes down yet another good man

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:58 am
@maxdancona,
i couldn't care less about who is or who isn't a journalist, i've already stated NPR did the right thing under their rules

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:04 am
is it a shock that people think like williams, i certainly hope not, i'd rather know who the idiots are who think this way than not

i have no knowledge of williams as a journalist, but now his listeners have a little more incite into his thought process
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:28 am
NPR routinely interviews people with strong stated views, often in a point/counter point format. Their issue here appears to be that this person is not in a position where he is expected to express strong viewpoints, he is in a position where he is expected to be a neutral observer. If he can't meet the requirements of the job, he needs to do something different.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 06:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
NPR said in its statement that the remarks “were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices,

I definitely have a problem with NPR having a problem with their staff having opinions and expressing those opinions.

I'm with djjd on this.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 08:07 am
@Fido,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I guess the idea is that if u have emotions qua the Moslems,
u must keep them secret; NPR opposes free speech.

David
Fido wrote:

Hate speech... Reason based upon emotion has no place in politics... Politics should be the place were people bring reason and intelligence to foresee and plan for the future... When we let emotions elect candidates, and let them then use emotions to justify doing the irrational we are not demonstrating democracy, but mobocracy...
Ya think its a shame that the Founders of the Bill of Rights
failed to inject your reasoning into Free Speech ?????????

People have the absolute RIGHT
to have ANY EMOTIONS that thay choose to entertain,
and thay r 100% free to choose how to vote,
based on ANY criteria of their preference.

David
JPB

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 08:22 am
I think it's an issue when journalists become the interviewee on a supposed news network. They aren't there because they're some Joe Schmoe off the street. They're there because they're a journalist. I'm surprised, actually, that any journalist would agree to be on with Bill O'Reilly. He was invited because he's an NPR journalist, and in that capacity, he was representing his employer. He's entitled to his opinion. He's entitled to express his opinion. They're entitled to fire him for doing so.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David,

You are missing the point. No one here is denying the free speech of Juan Williams. He is not being put in jail. He is not even being silenced (in fact he just got a lot more airtime at Fox).

He is still free to any speech he wants.

The people running NPR also have free speech rights.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:16 am
It isn't the first time that Juan has had problems with NPR over what he says on Fox.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2009/02/juan_williams_npr_and_fox_news_1.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:22 am
Quote:
I'm not saying Williams is the world's most enlightened guy. He's wrong, for example, about the proposed Islamic Center near Ground Zero. And it's certainly unsettling to hear him admit that he worries when he sees Muslims in distinctive dress. But admitting such fears doesn't make you a bigot. Sometimes, to work through your fears, you have to face them honestly. You have to think through the perils of acting on those fears. And you have to explain to others why they, too, should transcend their anxieties or resentments and treat people as individuals.

That's what Shirley Sherrod did in her speech to the NAACP. It's what Juan Williams did in his interview on Fox News. It was wrong of conservatives to take Sherrod's remarks out of context. It's just as wrong of liberals to do the same to Williams. The USDA, after reviewing Sherrod's remarks in their entirety, offered to rehire her. Now it's your turn, NPR
http://www.slate.com/id/2271931/

I am betting that "work through your fears" is intended to mean "vanquish your fears" in which case I don't agree. Having fear is natural, healthy, and productive so long as we can live through them, so long as they dont debilitate us. There is nothing wrong with having fear of Muslims so long as that fear is rooted in a practical, reality based threat. I do believe that the level of terrorism and open hostility to the West that we see in some of the societies that are Muslim do justify having fear of Muslims.

Bigger picture media owners have to decide if they want to be taken seriously as a place to go to hear debate. So long as they continue to fire employees who admit to unapproved opinions they can not be. We know that this environment is too censored to enable full debate. TV media will, if they keep up this censorship, go the way of print media....abandoned by the people as we find better places to get our needs met.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
David,

You are missing the point.
No one here is denying the free speech of Juan Williams.
He is not being put in jail. He is not even being silenced (in fact he just got a lot more airtime at Fox).

I did not miss that point; I did not articulate it in my posts, but I did not miss it.

maxdancona wrote:

Based on what U wrote hereinabove,
does that mean that he is putting NPR in jail ????????

Does that mean that NPR is "being silenced" by Juan ?????????

Help me to understand this
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No David,

Juan Williams said something that rational people think crosses the line to offensive. It is Mr. Williams right to say offensive things.

The people at NPR found what Juan Williams said to be so offensive that it affected his position at NPR. So they fired him. It is in NPRs rights to fire people for saying offensive things.

NPR didn't violate Juan Williams rights. Juan Williams didn't violate NPRs rights. They both did things that were fully in their rights to do.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:57 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Juan Williams said something that rational people think crosses the line to offensive.
the drive to restrict speech and thought is hostile to reason, to the process of discovery of the truth. Your rationalization for the policing of speech and though is easily seen to be a sham, a defense against reality that you don't approve of.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

David,

You are missing the point. No one here is denying the free speech of Juan Williams. He is not being put in jail. He is not even being silenced (in fact he just got a lot more airtime at Fox).

Juan Williams is not the U of M professor??? Is he??? If so; I always thought he was a voice of reason, and not of stupidity... He must need the money...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:02 pm
@Fido,
maxdancona wrote:
David,

You are missing the point. No one here is denying the free speech of Juan Williams. He is not being put in jail.
He is not even being silenced (in fact he just got a lot more airtime at Fox).

Fido wrote:
Juan Williams is not the U of M professor??? Is he???
If so; I always thought he was a voice of reason, and not of stupidity... He must need the money...
I cannot begin to guess; Google him, if u r interested.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The people at NPR found what Juan Williams said to be so offensive that it affected his position at NPR. So they fired him
No, the claim was that his personal views as stated destroys his ability to do the job that he was hired for, there-for he had to go....which was a BS excuse for censorship of personal views from an employee who know doubt had been previously encouraged by PBS to provide personal opinions.

What Williams failed to understand is that he was not to say anything that hints that Muslims have **** that stinks...for this in not in fitting with the fantasy the PBS wishes to maintain, that muslims are just like us.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:07 pm
We spent over 70 years n untold Billion$$$$$$
in fighting a system that was trying to conquer the world .

Before that, we went to a lot of trouble n expense in defeating 2 other systems
that were endeavoring the same thing.

R the MOslems back at it AGAIN ?????

Its important to KNOW whether we r now fighting the 4th World War.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
Fido wrote:

Hate speech... Reason based upon emotion has no place in politics... Politics should be the place were people bring reason and intelligence to foresee and plan for the future... When we let emotions elect candidates, and let them then use emotions to justify doing the irrational we are not demonstrating democracy, but mobocracy...

David

I hold a lot of opinions that would be injurious to the wealthy who rule this land if reducing their income and making them pay taxes for what they get is injury...

The common quality of all true rights is that they are essential to life... Liberty is a right because it is essential to life and only to the extent that it supports life and does not endanger life...

So, there are no absolute rights, and what is more, we have many privilages, such as private property that is treated as a right when it is not...

And I will agree that you may think as you wish
Fido

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
David,

You are missing the point. No one here is denying the free speech of Juan Williams. He is not being put in jail.
He is not even being silenced (in fact he just got a lot more airtime at Fox).

Fido wrote:
Juan Williams is not the U of M professor??? Is he???
If so; I always thought he was a voice of reason, and not of stupidity... He must need the money...
I cannot begin to guess; Google him, if u r interested.

David

No... can't be...I'm confused...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:25 pm
@Fido,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
Fido wrote:

David
Fido wrote:
I hold a lot of opinions that would be injurious to the wealthy
who rule this land if reducing their income and making them pay taxes for what they get is injury...
WE will fight back
against criminals like u, the same as robbers in the street.
Your reasoning is lost in confusion.

Fido wrote:
The common quality of all true rights is that they are essential to life...
NONSENSE; by your reasoning,
if someone catches a horse out on the American plains,
and takes him home, he has thereby KILLED the horse.

Fido wrote:
Liberty is a right because it is essential to life and only to the extent that it supports life and does not endanger life...
According to your reasoning, if I pay u in compliance with a contract, I thereby have NO contractual rights
against u (no counter-consideration), unless their violation woud result in DEATH; that 's foolishness.

Fido wrote:
So, there are no absolute rights,
GIANT NON-SEQUITUR, there

Fido wrote:
and what is more, we have many privilages, such as private property that is treated as a right when it is not...
U r hopelessly confused; are u delusional ???

Fido wrote:
And I will agree that you may think as you wish
Thanx for your permission; that 's JUST what I needed.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 04:23 pm
He didn't stay stricken for long...

Quote:
Less than 24 hours after NPR fired Juan Williams over comments about Muslims he made earlier in the week on Fox News, the cable channel announced on Thursday that it has signed Williams to a fat new contract. link

I find it ironic that this is in the "entertainment" section of MSNBC online
0 Replies