Should Jobless Law Student Get tuition money back?

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 11:27 am
A third-year Boston College Law School student facing dismal job prospects and a mountain of student loan debt has offered a unique deal: Keep the degree ... and give me back my tuition!

The student offered to leave law school without a degree at the end of the semester in exchange for a full tuition refund — a move the erstwhile aspiring attorney says would help BC’s US News ranking because it wouldn’t have to report another graduate’s state of unemployment.

The Law school said in a statement yesterday it is “deeply concerned” about its students’ job prospects but no institution of higher education can guarantee a job after graduation. “What we can do is provide the best education possible, and work together to provide as many career opportunities as possible,” the statement said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20101020bc_law_student_asks_for__back/srvc=home&position=3

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,379 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
One word "entitlement". This bonehead hasn't even gotten her degree yet.
jespah

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:24 pm
@Linkat,
Ha, I haven't worked as a lawyer for over 20 years, and certainly didn't have a law job when I graduated. I guess this means I can collect from Widener.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:54 pm
@Linkat,
i'm expecting a promising career in plea bargaining
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:06 am
@Linkat,
Unfortunately, the legal world has been hit hard by the recession. In fact, it was starting to get hit hard even before the recession. The traditional business model for law firms has finally reached the limits of its own unsustainability, in much the same way as a Ponzi scheme. The fees charged to clients had to rise in proportion to the salary hikes to untested first-year associates, who were being bribed by increasingly unjustifiable salaries. Ultimately, clients refused to pay sky-high fees for overstaffed cases and seeing only substandard legal work as a result. Something had to give, and the brunt fell on the lawyers coming straight out of law school. The irony is that many people who have been unable to get a job in this economy are going to law school as a means of gaining entry into what they think will be a lucrative profession.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 06:18 am
@Linkat,
No, It's not a rule that if are not employed then you will get your tuition fee back.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 10:54 pm
@Linkat,
The best decision I made was to get my degree in Business Administration, Accounting. I had four job offers before I even graduated. It's been a rewarding career in both challenges and salaries. I also did consulting work that was very lucrative. I've been retired since 1998, and living a pretty good standard of living in Silicon Valley.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:24 am
@Linkat,
What prevents the fledgling attorney from starting a new practice?
0 Replies