What do monarchs call themselves?

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 01:40 am
What do kings or queens call themselves? I, We, or what?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 5,204 • Replies: 15
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by RoseRose000
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 01:57 am
@RoseRose000,
we who are not amused
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 02:26 am
@RoseRose000,
Swedish king: The Queen and I
Danish Queen: The Prince and I
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:49 am
@RoseRose000,
All monarchs [kings and queens] throughout the history of the governmental form call themselves Joe. Never in public mind you but they refer to themselves as Joe (in the third person) when they're talking to their closest advisors.

King Louis XIV once said:
Quote:
L'etat, c'est Joe.
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 04:12 am
I believe that you refer to the majestic plural. So, please ignore the clowns in this thread.

When a monarch is speaking officially, he or she may use the first person plural ("we"), which means that he or she speaks for his or her nation and all of his or her subjects. However, it's use is not as common as implied by the jokes people make about it. When Nicholas II (the last Russian emperor) formally abdicated, he used the majestic plural, "we", in referring to himself. Most famously, Queen Victoria said "We are not amused." Some writers claim that she was speaking for herself and her attendant ladies, but it could just as well have been the majestic plural--i doubt that anyone knows to a certainty what she meant.

Generally, though, in everyday speech, i suspect that monarchs, like all the rest of us, just say "I".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:29 am
Traditionally, the Spanish kings would sign documents "Yo, el rey" ("I, the king"). So they, at least, referred to themselves in the first person singular.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:06 am
@joefromchicago,
bullshit, spanish kings refered to themselves as "I be the man"
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:55 am
@dyslexia,
Hitler said"Heil me", There, Ive taken care of another thread
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:23 am
Quote:
What do monarchs call themselves?

pretty much anything they want and if you object its OFF with your head.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
german monarchs would use the plural when referring to themselves :

" wir , wilhelm , von gottes gnaden ... ... " .

( " we , wilhelm , by the grace of god ... ...

talk72000

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:36 pm
@RoseRose000,
Anna Leonowens: The King and I
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 12:17 am
@hamburgboy,
I believe the Habsburg monarchs also referred to themselves with the first-person plural "wir," but I'd have to dig through some old files to be certain.
0 Replies

y11971alex

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:39 pm
Chinese Kings before 250 B.C. generally referred to themselves as "寡人" (pronounced Gua-ren,) this meant "I, the lonely person," which indicated that they occupied the highest position exclusively and therefore were "lonely."
However, in case when a king was at a meeting with other king(s) he would, as a courtesy, refer to himself as "不穀," which is meant to make oneself appear more humble as he "can grow no crops."
Chinese Monarchs after about 250 B.C. called themselves "朕" (pronounced Zhen,) but originally this was only the common 1st person singular pronoun. After the said date this word was reserved for the Monarch's use.

Others addressing the emperor in the second person will usually say "陛下," an equivalent of "Your Majesty."
If it is in the third person, they could say "天子," which is to honour the emperor as the "son of Heaven."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:41 pm
@RoseRose000,
butterflies
talk72000

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Queen Elizabeth II is referred to as "piggy".

Quote:
Diana is possibly the only member of the royal family who doesn't kowtow the instant she is fixed with one of the Queen's terrifying Miss Piggy looks.[1]

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_II
Kaiser Tigerstar

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 03:37 pm
@talk72000,
Most use "I" but some do use "your queen/king" or "the king/queen"
0 Replies