BUTTERNUT SQUASH--any creative recipes??(maybe something with bacon?)

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 01:46 pm
I planted 8 butternut vines and now have two bushels of the damn fruits. I understand that they can be made edible in means other than pumpkin pies and baked (I really dont care for baked butternut squash with butter and brown sugar). Its too much like a dessert than a vegetable

Mame

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
You can make a load of butternut squash soup (with yellow curry, sauteed onions, seasonings and coconut milk) and freeze it. Delish!
sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:08 pm
@farmerman,
Is roasted too close to baked? I roasted them like potatoes, roughly 1-inch cubes that were sprinkled with minced garlic and some spices and then doused with olive oil, then put on a cookie sheet to roast. Really good.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:10 pm
@Mame,
IS it possible to doctor it up with pork or veal shanks? Sounds easy
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:12 pm
@sozobe,
We got a new bigass stove with way too many burners and too much technology. It has a Roasting cylcle and baking, either one with a convection option. Im gonna try that one tonight and see what its like
Im doing a pork loin (wife is busy shearing sheep so Im in charge of kitchen)
sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:20 pm
@farmerman,
I heat up the oven to 425, then put tin foil over it (sealed, so they basically steam) for the first 10 minutes or so (depending on size, less for smaller ones), then take the foil off, sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt, turn 'em, and let them roast for another 10-15 minutes.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:49 pm
@farmerman,
Try baking it with just a little bit of caster sugar and cumin instead. You can also make lovely curries, quiche/tart, soup. All sorts of things - if any of those ideas appeal I'll post recipes for you but if you google pumpkin recipes you'll get lots more.
msolga

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:00 pm
I have a recipe for slow-cooked chicken lentil & pumpkin curry, if you're interested, farmer. Also one for pumpkin & pine nut lasagne (vegetarian). Both of which I like a lot & also cook a lot, but I'm not sure that they'd actually suit your taste.
Nor would they exactly get rid of huge amounts of your pumpkin crop.
Cooked pumpkin is also very nice in salads with wilted baby spinach & other goodies ...
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:05 pm
@MonaLeeza,
I cannot even get near cumin
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:33 pm
@msolga,
just keep out any cumin and Ill try it
msolga

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:34 pm
@farmerman,
Interested in risotto at all?
I have a simple recipe with bacon & pumpkin.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:36 pm
Here are some from some of my favorite websites. I've tried several of them. I wish we lived closer so we could exchange garden harvests!

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups 99% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
1/2 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 3/4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt + additional yogurt for garnish
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Instructions:
Place the ginger and wine in a small pot. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and steep while you prepare the soup. In a large pot, cook the onions, celery, and garlic in 1/2 cup of the stock until the onion is wilted. Add the remaining stock and squash and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the squash is tender adding more stock or water as needed. Using a food processor or blender, puree squash mixture until smooth. If using a food processor do this in batches so the machine does not overflow. Whisk in the yogurt and milk. Drain the wine and discard the ginger. Add the wine to the soup. Reheat (do not allow to boil to avoid curdling) and serve with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of chives.

-------------------------------------------------------

Butternut-Corn Chowder
Ingredients:
2 large butternut squash
1-1/4 cups defatted chicken stock
1-1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (wear plastic
gloves when handling)
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
juice of one lime
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup corn

Instructions:
Using a paring knife, peel the squash. Halve them and scoop out the seeds. Cut the flesh into 1/2" cubes. Place in a dutch oven.
Add the stock and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large no-stick frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the green peppers, onions, carrots and garlic. Sauté for 8 minutes, or until soft. Add to the dutch oven.
Stir in the jalapeno peppers, coriander, lime juice, red pepper, cinnamon and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the squash is tender. stir in the corn and cook briefly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roasted Butternut Squash Dip

Ingredients:
1 (2-pound) butternut squash
1 small Walla Walla or other sweet onion, trimmed and quartered
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons crème fraîche or whole sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Brush cut sides of squash halves, cut sides of onion quarters, and garlic cloves with oil. Arrange squash halves, cut sides down, on a jelly-roll pan; arrange onion quarters and garlic cloves on pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Peel squash. Squeeze garlic cloves to extract pulp.

Place squash, onion, and garlic pulp in a food processor; process until smooth. Add crème fraîche and remaining ingredients; process to combine. Serve warm.

------------------------------------------
Squash and Turkey Chili

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 large carrot, cut in 3/4-inch slices
2 cups peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups diced cooked turkey breast
1 can (28 oz.) whole, peeled tomatoes, preferably "no salt added"
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup kidney or black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Hot sauce or salsa (optional)

Instructions:

In small Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.

Add onion and saute until translucent, 2 minutes. Add broth, carrot and squash.

Lower heat and simmer until tender, about 4 minutes.

Add tomatoes.

Cover and cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes. Add turkey, beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and cinnamon.

Simmer on low heat until squash is tender and turkey is heated through, 15-20 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Add hot sauce or salsa, if desired.

Serve over brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
--------------------------------------------------------
Acorn Squash With Blueberries

Ingredients:
4 acorn squash
12 ounces frozen blueberries
1/2 apple, finely diced
6 tablespoons brown sugar
8 teaspoons butter

Instructions:
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
2.Place in a pan that you can cover.
3.Spoon blueberries into squash halves.
4.Add a few pieces of apple.
5. Sprinkle brown sugar over squash and berries.
6.Place 1 teaspoons butter on each squash half.
7.Pour 1/2 cup water in pan,cover and bake @ 350.
8. for 30 minutes.
9.Remove cover and bake 15 minutes longer
---------------------------------------
Apple Cranberry Squash
Ingredients:
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 Jonathan or Macintosh apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 Tbs. sugar
1 cup cranberries, thawed if frozen
2 tsp. unsalted butter, melted

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place squash in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from steamer basket and set aside. Combine apples and half the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 12 minutes stirring frequently until juice has evaporated. Add apples to squash. Combine cranberries and remaining sugar in same saucepan. Cook 4 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Add cranberries to apples and squash. Stir in melted butter and salt to taste and toss. Transfer mixture to a buttered shallow baking dish. Bake 10 minutes or until hot.
-----------------------------------------------
Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Casserole

Ingredients:
2-1/4 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
3/4 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tsp. olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves, minced
3-1/2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine squash and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Transfer mixture to a gratin dish or other shallow baking dish and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan. Bake about 1 hour in middle of oven until squash is tender and top is golden.
--------------------------
Butternut Squash Stew

Ingredients:
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. cilantro or parsley, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 lb. canned white kidney beans, drained

Instructions:
Place squash in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid, and set aside. Melt butter in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
Cover skillet and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in squash, remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5-10 minutes, adding enough reserved liquid to keep mixture from drying out.
------------------------
Squash Succotash

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 lb. butternut squash, or other winter squash, peeled, seeded and diced
3/4 cup frozen baby lima beans
3/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup vegetable stock or water

Instructions:
Melt butter in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté scallions and bell pepper 5 minutes or until softened. Add squash. Cover skillet. Reduce heat to low and sauté 10 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
-----------------------------------
Sweet Squash Corn Muffins

Ingredients:

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
4 teaspoons nonaluminum baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons dulse flakes
1/2 cup cold-pressed vegetable oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 eggs
-1/2 to 2 cups water
3/4 cup leftover baked winter squash (buttercup, butternut or delicata squash) or substitute same amount of leftover baked sweet potato
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil muffin tins or line with paper muffin cups.

Sift dry cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and dulse flakes together in a mixing bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, syrup, eggs, water and squash until smooth. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix with a minimum of strokes.

Spoon batter into muffin cups. Decorate tops of muffins with pumpkin seeds. Bake 20 minutes.
---------------------------

These are recipes for sweet potatoes and pumpkins that butternut squash can be easily substituted:

Pumpkin-Cider Stew with Beef
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 1-3/4hours

Ingredients

* 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
* 2 tsp. kosher salt or 1 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
* 2 lb. beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
* 2 medium onions, halved, sliced, and broken into thin slivers
* 2 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1 14-oz. can beef broth
* 1-1/2 cups apple cider
* 1/4 cup cider vinegar
* 6 or 7 miniature white and/or orange pumpkins, or half a 5-lb. pie pumpkin, or 2 lb. potatoes
* 2 medium parsnips or carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, or 8 oz. baby carrots with tops, scrubbed and trimmed
* 2 Jonathan or Gala apples, cored and cut into wedges
* Fennel Seeds (optional)

Directions

In a self-sealing plastic bag combine flour, the 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Add beef chunks. Close bag; shake to coat. In a Dutch oven brown half the beef and half the onion at a time in 1 tablespoon of hot oil. Return all meat and onion to Dutch oven. Add broth, cider, and vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/4 hours.

Meanwhile, if using miniature pumpkins, cut a 1/2-inch slice from the bottom of each; discard slice. Scoop out seeds and fibrous strings. If using pie pumpkin, peel, seed, remove strings, and cut into large chunks. If using potatoes, peel and cut into wedges.

Add pumpkin pieces or potatoes,and parsnips or carrots to beef mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes more. Add apples; cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes more or until vegetables and fruit are tender. Ladle into bowls or pumpkin bowls* to serve. Sprinkle with additional fennel seeds. Makes 8 servings

To Make Pumpkin Bowl: For each pumpkin bowl, cut a 1-inch slice from the stem end of a 1-1/2 to 2-lb. pumpkin; set aside stem. Scoop out seeds and fibrous strings. Ladle soup in bowl; replace stem. Or, if desired, place hollowed pumpkin with top in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degrees F. oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender. Season inside of pumpkin with salt. Serve as above.

TIP: Miniature pumpkins can be hard and the skin tough. To make them easier to eat, remove the stem from and carefully peel each pumpkin. You can cut large miniatures into wedges.

------------------------------------------
Chops with Sweet Potato Chutney
Start to Finish: 30 minutes

Ingredients

* 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 4 6-ounce pork loin rib chops, cut 1-inch thick
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
* 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
* 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped

Directions

1. Combine shallots and red pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons shallot mixture for chutney. Rub both sides of chops with remaining shallot mixture. Place on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Set aside.

2. For chutney, combine reserved shallot mixture, brown sugar, vinegar, dried cranberries, and ginger in a medium saucepan. Stir in sweet potato; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Meanwhile, broil chops 3 to 4 inches from heat to desired doneness, turning once (7 to 11 minutes for medium). Serve with chutney. Makes 4 servings.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Autumn Harvest Stew with Pork
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 7 to 8 hours

Ingredients

* 1 pound boneless pork shoulder
* 2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potatoes
* 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 3/4 cups)
* 2 small cooking apples, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 3/4 cups)
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 cups apple cider or apple juice

Directions

Trim fat from meat. Cut pork into 1-inch cubes.

In a 31/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker layer potatoes, parsnip, apples, and onion. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add meat. Pour apple cider or juice over all.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 31/2 to 4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Ladle into bowls. Makes 4 servings.
-------------------------------------------------
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butternuts dont hold up well in the mail. That recipe looks like a meal in a pot.
That recipe does look good.Might I suggest the one item missing is bacon. Maybe Ill try messin with this one day and try to add in some bacon .

I FORGOT HOW TO DO A PRINT PAGE!!! HEEEELLLLLPPP!!
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:47 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, just use the stock instead of water, and sure, you can add chunks of meat. If you roast the shanks with the onions (and garlic) that would be super yummy. Then just make the stock out of that.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:49 pm
@Mame,
I was thinking of some veal shanks and ask the butcher to give me some bones so I could bake em and make a stock out of them as well.
These butternuts may lead to a whole nother bunch of taste sensations

HEY, I THOUGHT YOU JUST GOT MARRIED GIRL?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

I FORGOT HOW TO DO A PRINT PAGE!!! HEEEELLLLLPPP!!

You can do it several ways, the easiest of which is Control-P. That brings up the print command box.

If you don't want to print the entire page, you can highlight the parts you wish to print then use Control-P and be sure to choose the filter that prints only the highlighted selection
MonaLeeza

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 04:41 pm
@farmerman,
Well I think that eliminates most of the recipes I was thinking of .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 04:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
thanks , geezer moment
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, can you check out my topic on pomegranate trees and let me know your thoughts?

http://able2know.org/topic/162614-1

Thanks.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:20 pm
You can make either sweet or savory butternut squash soups. Bake the squash, then puree it. Add vegetable stock or chicken stock to reach the desired texture and thickness. The rest of the additions are totally up to you. Garnish with thinly sliced apples and crumbled bleu cheese. Spice it up with hot peppers and carmelized onions.

My daughter made a vegetarian lasagne with butternut squash taking the place of tomato sauce although I would prefer the squash puree layered with the cheeses, carmelized onions (my addition to most dishes) and tomato sauce flavored with thyme. In fact, thyme is a friendly complement to butternut squash.

You can cook, puree and freeze the squash then add to soups as needed.

You can also fill ravioli with the squash.