New Pomegranate Tree - Winter Survival Tips

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:37 pm
Early last Spring I planted a Pomegranate sapling of the Wonderful cultivar. It has been growing rapidly and is now about 4 ft tall with 4 branches.

The winter temperatures here on the west side of Albuquerque can dip into the high 20's for a few days during winter. For the most part, temps hover around 32 - 35 degrees and we get about 4 or 5 days of snow that almost melts immediately. We're in USDA hardiness zone 7, the Wonderful cultivar is said to be able to be grown here.

I know they need hot summers for good fruit development and moderate winters for survival (to 15 degrees F). Winter chill requirements are low, less than 200 hours below 40 degrees F. I haven't been able to find much info on overwintering a pomegranate tree sapling. Am wondering if I should rig up a protective barrier of burlap for it or leave it to fend for itself in the winter temps.

Any opinions on it?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,279 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Butrflynet
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
I grew one happily in a different place. This all sounds that would work.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:54 am
@ossobuco,
I'm going to rest. I am probably dumping being online, or at least I'm working up to it.
I know Rockhead and others have dealt with this.
We'll see. Not this month, but likely next.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 05:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
This is advice someone on another site gave me. Does it sound appropriate?

Quote:
It would be best if you could cover the plant up with hay or burlap, at least the trunk should be insulated, also the roots with thick mulching. It would also help if you cut off all the soft wood and young branches as these are the most susceptible to frost damage.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 05:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
The first sentence sounds good, and at least it wouldn't hurt. I don't know about cutting off the only branches though. You could call Alameda Greenhouse Nursery; they might have a useful opinion on that.

0 Replies

farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have a friend that has grown fig trees here in the zone 6 area. What he does is loosen the root ball and make a trench and lay the tree over into the trench and cover it with a lot of straw. I dont have any experience in growing trees that are not meant for our ag zone.
Ill bet dadpad, who is a real arborist would be the expert on this.Ill PM him when he wakes up.
0 Replies