Delicious slow/er-cooked food ....

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:18 pm
... in casseroles, in the oven, on the stove top.

Lately, after an extended period of favouring "fast, fresh & healthy" meals, I've regained my interest in slow/er & one pot cooking. It was this recipe that revived my interest. It was so simple to prepare, yet tasted so good after an hour & a half in the oven. And the aroma that filled the kitchen while it slowly cooked! Wonderful:

Black-eyed beans & sausages:
(Serves 4)

* 185 dried black-eyed beans
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
*30g fatty pancetta, smoked speck or bacon, finely chopped (I used pancetta)
*2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
*1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
*1/4 tspn chilli flakes
*1 large celery stalk, chopped
*400g can Italian tomatoes, drained & chopped
*400g Italian sausages, or bratwurst, pricked all over (I used chirozo)
* salt & freshly ground black pepper

- Place beans in a small bowl & cover with hot water. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine onion, pancetta & oil in an oven proof casserole pot & saute until the onion is soft. About 5 minutes.
-Add the garlic & saute a further 1 minute.
-Add the chilli flakes & celery & cook till the celery softens. About 5 minutes.
-Add tomatoes, break them up with a wooden spoon, 1/4 cup of water & simmer for about 20 minutes, till the sauce thickens.
-Add sausages to the pot & simmer till they start to thicken up - about 10 minutes.
-Add the drained beans & enough fresh water to cover them, Season with salt & pepper.
-Bring to a simmer on top of the stove, cover, then place in an 180C oven for 90 minutes.
-Check that the beans are tender. Cook longer (adding more water if needed) if necessary.
Serve straight from the pot with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

Yum! I loved it. And how easy was that? Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 14,551 • Replies: 99

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
My next effort was an updated version of steak & kidney pie.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:24 pm
So, you get the idea.

I'd love to get more such recipes. Beans. Meats, vegetables. I don't mind.

I've been combing old cookbooks & have discovered some recipes I'm certain I'll try. (Some with cuts of meat I've never used before.) It's a bit of an adventure.

Anyone want to share their favourite slow/er cooked recipes here?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:35 pm
It's sort of like peasant food, or food from the 50s & 60s, isn't it? Just the right sort of (affordable!) food for a recession! And soooo comforting!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:55 pm
I do hope you're all thinking about a few recipes out there.

Don't forget the potaotoes, will you? (I LOVE potatoes!)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:28 pm
@msolga,
My favorite kind of cooking..
recipes tomorrow, or nag me.
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Wonderful!
Osso's here! Very Happy

(Oh I will nag you, too! Wink )
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:05 pm
@msolga,
you counted out 185 blackeye peas by hand?
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:09 pm
@Sglass,
I did indeed, Sglass!
It had to be EXACTLY that number, you understand! Otherwise the dish would be not-quite-authentic .... Laughing

(going back to check the first post now)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:12 pm
@msolga,
OK, folks, stop your countin'...

Insert a small "g" in the first line of ingredients. So it should now read:

* 185g dried black-eyed beans

Sglass

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:13 am
@msolga,
ok that's settled.

there's nothing finer than a mess of blackeye peas and collard greens - back in the day of my childhood before Texas statehood we used either fatback or pork hocks.

you go girl.
jespah

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:12 am
I'll be back; today bean soup is being made in the slow cooker (will return with specifics).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:01 am
@msolga,
Easy one:

Cube a defatted pork shoulder and put it in the slow cooker then add a jar of green tomatillo salsa, a sliced white onion, additional chopped hot chiles if desired, and cook on low until the meat is very tender, about four hours. Season with salt and pepper, add a little cilantro, and serve with grated mild cheese and warm tortillas (chile verde).
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:52 am
Hi msolga -- I love one-pot dishes. Here's a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks -

http://www.booksforcomfort.com/images/14948.gif

Pistou

First, make the pistou by combining 1/2c olive oil, 7 cloves garlic, 3/4c tangy, grated cheese such Parmesan, 5 large fresh basil leaves into a paste with a mortar and pestle or blender.

Then, make the soup.

1 lb pea beans, soaked 5 hours, drained
4 qt water
2 new potatoes, diced
1/2 lb yellow string beans, cut or diced
4 leaks, white part only
4 small zucchini, unpeeled, diced
3 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
3 small fresh sage leaves
1.5 tsp salt
0.5 tsp pepper
6 oz vermicellli or other thin pasta

In a large pot bring the beans and water to a boil, cover, simmer for 40 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients Except the pasta. Simmer one hour or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the vermicelli; cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Stir in the pistou paste just before serving.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:17 am
I'm looking for a good, simple brisket recipe that doesn't call for herbs or spices that probably won't be used again until the next total solar eclipse. Most interested in bar-b-qued brisket but am open to all suggestions. Anyone?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
@cjhsa,
Thank you, cjhsa. (I'm always interested - often impressed! - with what you get up to in the kitchen. If I wanted to cook this one in a gas oven, rather than a slow cooker (I suspect mine is too small - silly buy) what temperature would you suggest?
jespah

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:35 pm
Bean soup
1 16 oz. bag of dried beans, any kind
4 cups of water
16 oz. low fat, low salt chicken stock (organic is best)
1 16 oz. can of low salt tomatoes, diced or crushed. Do not drain!
Dash of pepper
Dash of garlic powder or 1 finely minced garlic clove
Dash of basil, dried or fresh (if fresh, tear or mince into small pieces)
1/4 brick of tofu, roughly cubed
1 tablespoon of chicken fat (optional -- if left out, remove 5 calories, .5 gram of fat and .5 mg of cholesterol)

For vegans, remove the chicken fat and substitute low fat, low salt vegetable broth for the chicken broth.

Directions
Place ingredients into slow cooker the night before so that beans can soak. In the morning, set slow cooker for 4 hours on high.
Makes 6 14-ounce servings.

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 54.8
Total Fat: 0.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.5 mg
Sodium: 176.5 mg
Total Carbs: 9.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 3.0 g
msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:44 pm
@JPB,
Cook Like a Peasant, Eat Like a King: that's my type of cookbook, JPB! (I actually have real peasant ancestors.Very HappyWink )
Oh I do like the Pistou recipe! I will most definitely give it a go! But just one question: about the "pea beans". I'm not sure exactly what variety of bean they are. Perhaps one I already have on my shelves, but called something different in Oz? If I can't find exactly the right beans here, perhaps one of these, which I already do have, could make a reasonable substitute?: red kidney, chick pea, black-eyed beans, canelloni (sp?), Lima beans, black turtle beans & a few more ...
msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm
@jespah,
Thank you, jespah. (This is terrific! Very Happy )

Interesting, the addition of Tofu in this one. (Protein!)
So's I can get the quantity right: what weight is a US "brick"?
msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
Good morning, osso!

<nudge nudge> >>>Reminding you, as promised! Very Happy